Total payments industry deals for April 2020 worth $2.26bn were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
The value marked an increase of 112.2% over the previous month and a drop of 49.8% when compared with the last 12-month average of $4.51bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 38.5% over the last 12-month average with 24 deals against the average of 39 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $1.93bn.
Payments industry deals in April 2020: Top deals
The top five payments deals accounted for 93.8% of the overall value during April 2020.
The combined value of the top five payments deals stood at $2.12bn, against the overall value of $2.26bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry deals of April 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
- Social Finance’s $1.2bn acquisition of Galileo Financial Technologies
- The $600m venture financing of Stripe by Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst Partners, GV Management Co and Sequoia Capital Operations
- ANZi Ventures, DST Global, Hillhouse Capital Group, Horizons Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Sequoia Capital China and Tencent Holdings’ $160m venture financing of Airwallex
- The $120m private equity deal with Voyager Innovations by IFC Emerging Asia Fund, International Financial, KKR &Inc, PLDT and Tencent Holdings
- Itochu’s venture financing of Paidy for $43m.