Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Banking – Thematic Research
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
AI in Banking Market Overview
In banking, AI use cases range from enhancing client interactions through chatbots to providing better loan terms through data-driven risk assessments, and the automation of laborious back-end processes. Banks can realize the benefits of AI in cost savings, quality improvements, an expansion of their services, and increased personalization in these product offerings. AI can galvanize waning banks and provide them with new income sources while increasing the value they derive from current sources.
The AI in banking thematic research report highlights the impact of AI in the banking industry and discusses banking challenges, case studies, AI timelines, and value chains.
AI in Banking – Industry Analysis
The AI platform revenue in the retail banking industry was worth $1.8 billion in 2019 and is expected to achieve a CAGR of more than 21% during 2019-2024. The digital revolution in banking is driving incumbent banks to defensively adopt leading technologies to combat the nascent threat posed by disruptive fintech firms. Many of these technologies are complementary and reinforce one another. Therefore, spending across the board will increase.
The AI in the banking industry analysis also covers:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- AI Timeline
AI Platform Revenue in Retail Banking Industry, 2019-2024
To gain more information about AI platform revenue in the banking industry, download a free report sample
AI in Banking - Value Chain Analysis
GlobalData’s AI value chain consists of four segments: data inputs, big data management, AI technology, and AI use cases. It provides an overview of seven main AI technologies such as machine learning (ML), data science, conversational platforms, computer vision, AI chips, smart robots, and context-aware computing.
Machine Learning: Many companies use ML as part of predictive data models or software platforms that analyze behavioral data. Businesses have also taken ML and applied it to specific industry use cases, such as detecting bank fraud, assessing a person’s creditworthiness, preventing cyberattacks, and delivering personalized ads to consumers.
AI Value Chain Analysis
For more insights into the AI value chain, download a free report sample
Leading AI Adopters in the Banking Industry
Some of the leading banking companies that are currently deploying AI:
- Ant Group
- Bank of America
Leading AI Vendors in the Banking Industry
Some of the leading vendors associated with the AI theme:
Specialist AI Vendors in the Banking Industry
Some of the specialist AI vendors in the banking industry:
To know more about the leading AI adopters, vendors and specialist AI vendors in the banking industry, download a free report sample
Banking Sector Scorecard
At GlobalData, we use a scorecard approach to predict tomorrow’s leading companies within each sector. Our banking sector scorecard has two screens: a thematic screen and a valuation screen.
- The thematic screen ranks companies based on overall leadership in the 10 themes that matter most to their industry, generating a leading indicator of future performance.
- The valuation screen ranks our universe of companies within a sector based on selected valuation metrics.
Banking Sector Scorecard – Thematic Screen
To know more about the banking sector scorecards, download a free report sample
AI in Banking Market Overview
|Market Size (2019)||$1.8 billion|
|Value Chains||Data Inputs, Big Data Management, AI Technology, and AI Use Cases|
|Leading AI Adopters||Ant Group, Bank of America, and BBVA|
|Leading AI Vendors||Alibaba, Alphabet, and Amazon|
|Specialist AI Vendors||Fiserv, FiVerity, and Kasisto|
This report provides:
- Forecast data of the estimated evolution in banking spend on AI services globally.
- A breakdown of the AI value chain and its intersection with the banking stack, including investment recommendations for each technology in each section of the banking value chain.
- An explanation of how AI can help to solve each of the challenges faced by the banking industry including cybersecurity risks, the threat posed by digitally native fintechs, and falling profitability driven by macroeconomic conditions such as perennially low-interest rates and COVID-19.
- Analysis of the key AI technology vendors in banking, including their specialisms, their location in the AI value chain, and details of some existing partnerships.
- Summaries of the incumbent and disruptive banks adopting AI and transforming their businesses. These detail the specific AI technologies they use, the partnerships they have, as well as placing them in the context of the AI value chain.
- Key best practice case studies of AI adoption in banking, supported by executive interviews with the companies involved.
- GlobalData’s thematic sector scorecard for retail banking ranks the leadership of 37 banking companies in AI and other themes disrupting their industry. This is informed by GlobalData’s comprehensive tracking of AI-related deals, job openings, patents ownership, company news, and financial and marketing statements.
Reasons to Buy
- Identify leading artificial intelligence vendors in banking and shortlist potential partners based on their areas of expertise and historic partnerships.
- Benchmark your company against 37 other banks in terms of how prepared each business is for AI disruption. Use this as a roadmap for where to target your AI investment and to focus on areas of the market that are underserved.
- Develop marketing messages and value propositions for your AI services that will resonate with prospective clients in the banking industry, by uncovering the business challenges they face in areas such as falling profitability, cybersecurity, and COVID-19. Pick the right areas to invest in AI-based on our value chain recommendations, paired with case study insight.
- As a technology vendor, identify the areas where banks are most in need of your services and uncover the areas that are lacking specific AI vendors that might prove profitable areas for expansion.
- Support investment cases for AI in banking, both as a vendor and as a bank, by accessing our proprietary market sizing and growth forecast data, specific to AI in financial services.
Bank of America
Table of Contents
AI value chain
The impact of AI on banking
Market size and growth forecasts
Mergers and acquisitions
| Our thematic research methodology
| About GlobalData
| Contact Us
Frequently asked questions
What was the AI platform revenue in the banking industry in 2019?
The AI platform revenue in the retail banking industry was worth $1.8 billion in 2019.
What is AI in the banking industry growth rate?
AI in the retail banking industry is expected to achieve a CAGR of more than 21% during 2019-2024.
What are the components of the AI value chain?
GlobalData’s AI value chain consists of four segments which are data inputs, big data management, AI technology, and AI use cases.
Which are the leading AI adopters in the banking industry?
Some of the leading AI adopters in the banking industry are Ant Group, Bank of America, and BBVA.
Which leading vendors are associated with the AI theme?
Some of the leading vendors associated with the AI theme are Alibaba, Alphabet, and Amazon.
Who are the specialist AI vendors in the banking industry?
Some of the specialist AI vendors in the banking industry are Fiserv, FiVerity, and Kasisto.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.