Country Profile: Bakery & Cereals Sector in Greece
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
The Greek Bakery & Cereals sector is forecast to register value growth of 14.1% during 2016-2021. Of the eleven markets, Bread & Rolls is the largest in both value and volume terms, while the Breakfast Cereals market is forecast to register the fastest value growth during 2016-2021. Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the leading distribution channel in the Greek Bakery & Cereals sector. Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used packaging material in the sector. Loukoumades Aigaion, E.J. Papadopoulos S.A., and General Mills, Inc are the leading market players in the Greek Bakery & Cereals sector.
GlobalData’s Country Profile report on the Bakery & Cereals sector in Greece provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of packaging materials, types and closures category level distribution data and brands market shares.
What else is contained?
– Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021
– Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Baking Ingredients, Baking Mixes, Bread & Rolls, Breakfast Cereals, ‘Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies’, Cereal Bars, Cookies (Sweet Biscuits), Dough Products, Energy Bars, – Morning Goods, and Savory Biscuits with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
– Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016
– Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as Cash & Carries and warehouse Clubs, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others
– Packaging data: consumption breakdown for packaging materials and containers in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Packaging material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastics, and others; container data for: Film, Bag/Sachet, Tub, Box, Pouch, and Tin.
– The Bakery & Cereals sector in Greece is forecast to grow at 2.1% CAGR in value terms during 2016-2021
– Bread & Rolls is the largest market in value and volume terms in the Greek Bakery & Cereals sector
– Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the largest distribution channel, followed by Food & Drinks Specialists and Convenience Stores
– Private label penetration is highest in the Breakfast Cereals market
Reasons to Buy
– Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
– Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
– Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
– Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
– Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Bakery & Cereals products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
– Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
– The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
– Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.
Elbisco Holding S.A.
Artisanal Producers E.J.
Karamolegos Bakery Industry Sa
Cereal Partners Worldwide S.A.
The Kellogg Company
Bright Food (Group) Co. Ltd.
Bahlsen Gmbh & Co. Kg
Karamolegou Maria Ltd
Kraft Foods Group Inc.
Mondelez International Inc
Parle Products Pvt Ltd
United Biscuits Ltd
BARBA STATHIS S.A.
General Mills Inc.
Hellenic Quality Foods Sa
Alex Soleas & Son Ltd
The Evga Sa
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
1. Report Scope 1
2. Executive summary 3
3. Greece in the global and regional context 2
3.1. Greece’s share in the Global and Western European Bakery & Cereals sector 2
3.2. Greece compared to other leading countries in Western Europe 3
4. Market size analysis – Bakery & Cereals sector 4
4.1. Value and volume analysis – Bakery & Cereals sector in Greece 4
4.2. Per capita consumption – Greece compared to Western Europe and globally 5
4.3. Value and volume analysis of markets in the Bakery & Cereals sector 6
4.4. Growth analysis by markets 7
5. Market and category analysis 8
5.1. Per capita consumption analysis by markets 8
5.2. Market analysis: Baking Ingredients 9
5.3. Market analysis: Baking Mixes 12
5.4. Market analysis: Bread & Rolls 15
5.5. Market analysis: Breakfast Cereals 17
5.6. Market analysis: Cakes Pastries & Sweet Pies 19
5.7. Market analysis: Cereal Bars 21
5.8. Market analysis: Cookies (Sweet Biscuits) 23
5.9. Market analysis: Dough Products 26
5.10. Market analysis: Energy Bars 28
5.11. Market analysis: Morning Goods 29
5.12. Market analysis: Savory Biscuits 31
6. Distribution analysis 33
6.1. Distribution channel share analysis: Bakery & Cereals 33
6.2. Distribution channel share analysis: Baking Ingredients 34
6.3. Distribution channel share analysis: Baking Mixes 35
6.4. Distribution channel share analysis: Bread & Rolls 36
6.5. Distribution channel share analysis: Breakfast Cereals 37
6.6. Distribution channel share analysis: Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies 38
6.7. Distribution channel share analysis: Cereals Bars 39
6.8. Distribution channel share analysis: Cookies (Sweet Biscuits) 40
6.9. Distribution channel share analysis: Dough Products 41
6.10. Distribution channel share analysis: Energy Bars 42
6.11. Distribution channel share analysis: Morning Goods 43
6.12. Distribution channel share analysis: Savory Biscuits 44
7. Competitive landscape 45
7.1. Brand share analysis by sector 45
7.2. Brand share analysis by markets 48
7.3. Brand share analysis by category 59
7.3.1. Baking Ingredients 59
7.3.2. Baking Mixes 62
7.3.3. Breakfast Cereals 64
7.3.4. Cereal Bars 65
7.3.5. Savory Biscuits 66
7.4. Private label share analysis 67
8. Health & Wellness analysis 69
8.1. Market size analysis by Health & Wellness claims 69
8.2. Market share analysis – Health & Wellness product attributes 70
8.3. Market size analysis – Health & Wellness consumer benefits 72
8.4. Leading companies in Greek Health & Wellness market 74
9. Packaging analysis 76
9.1. Packaging share and growth analysis by packaging material 76
9.2. Packaging share analysis by packaging material 77
9.3. Packaging share and growth analysis by container type 78
9.4. Packaging share analysis by container type 79
9.5. Packaging share and growth analysis by closure type 80
9.6. Packaging share analysis by closure type 81
9.7. Packaging share and growth analysis by outer type 82
9.8. Packaging share analysis by outer type 83
10. Macroeconomic analysis 84
10.1. GDP per Capita 87
10.2. Population and population growth 88
10.3. Consumer Price Index 89
10.4. Population breakdown by age 90
11. Consumergraphics 91
11.1. Consumption by Gender 91
11.2. Consumption by Age 93
11.3. Consumption by Education 94
11.4. Consumption by Urbanization 95
12. Methodology 96
13. Definitions 97
14. Appendix 111
15. About GlobalData 137
16. Disclaimer 138
17. Contact Us 139
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.