Cybersecurity in Retail – Trends, Threats and Solutions
"Cybersecurity in Retail", report discusses the cybersecurity challenges faced by retailers and analyzes the latest technology trends including artificial intelligence and biometrics for security. Recommendations are provided for ICT vendors and retailers regarding different strategic approaches and retail-specific IT security solutions.
Cybersecurity is on top of retail decision-makers’ agenda as various forms of attacks such as malware, phishing and denial-of-service are on the rise.
– ICT vendors need to consider retail-specific security challenges since retailers’ IT infrastructure differs from other verticals in the form of retail-specific hardware and software usage, such as PoS, beacons, eCommerce and supply chain management systems.
– Data flows from external sources need to be considered. Retailers share large data volumes with customers, suppliers and partners, which increases their vulnerability since any connected systems used by third parties provide a route into retailers’ networks.
– Insider threats form a major risk and require strong governance and access monitoring. Access to systems and data needs to be restricted to staff that relies on them for their work, and any actions tracked.
Reasons to Buy
– Gain a deeper insight into cybersecurity challenges and solutions in retail.
– Understand how retailers' IT environments require specific security measures considering data flows, IoT devices and store setups.
– Useful advice is provided for ICT vendors as well as retailers regarding the choice of the right cybersecurity strategy and specific offerings that resonate well with retailers.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
1 Cybersecurity Threats are on the Rise 3
2 Key Trends in Cybersecurity 5
2.1 Artificial intelligence (AI) and automation 5
2.2 Biometrics for identity authorization 6
2.3 Retailers’ security investment priorities 7
3 Retailers Face Specific Threats 9
3.1 Point-of-Sale (PoS) systems 10
3.2 Wi-Fi networks 12
3.3 Beacons 13
3.4 CCTV cameras 14
3.5 Mobile apps and retail/eCommerce platforms 14
3.6 Value chain management 15
3.7 Network security 16
3.8 Protection against ransomware 18
3.9 SD-WAN 18
4 Cybersecurity Market and Vendor Landscape 21
4.1 Vendor overview by security field 21
4.2 Retailer spending on ICT security software 23
5 Recommendations for Retailers 25
6 Recommendations for ICT vendors 26
7 Appendix 27
7.1 Further reading 27
7.2 Contact the author 27
7.3 Contact Us 28
List of Tables
List of Tables
Table 1: Security fields and vendors 21
Table 2: Global retailer spending on ICT security services and hardware ($ millions) 22
Table 3: Global retailer spending on ICT security software 1 ($ millions) 23
Table 4: Global retailer spending on ICT security software 2 ($ millions) 24
List of Figures
List of Figures
Figure 1: Cybersecurity threats faced by retailers 4
Figure 2: Security products currently in use by retailers and their prioritization for investment 8
Figure 3: Security services currently in use by retailers and their prioritization for investment 8
Figure 4: Retail systems under threat from cyberattacks 9
Figure 5: Enterprise networking solutions currently in use and planned for investment in the next two years 20
Get in touch to find out about our multi-purchase discounts
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Every customer’s requirement is unique. We understand that and can customize the report basis your exact research requirements pertaining to market insights, innovation insights, strategy and planning, and competitive intelligence. You can also avail the option of purchasing stand-alone sections of the report or request for a country specific report.
Still undecided about purchasing this report?
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.