Electronic Warfare Market – Thematic Research
The electronic warfare market in 2020 was valued at $12.80 billion. The market is projected to register a CAGR of more than 1% over the 2021-2030 period. Focus on directed energy weapons, rapid change in the technological advancement in the domain, and the growing concern for electronic protection capabilities are expected to drive the global demand in the electronic warfare market.
The EW market is witnessing greater demand from airborne platforms leading to sustained investment in the airborne EW segment. Modern airborne warfare platforms are putting a greater emphasis on information superiority and situational awareness, and this is expected to be a major factor driving spending in this sector. The global electronic warfare market is witnessing a change in perception with different stakeholders who are seeing EW as a core weapon technology rather than supporting technology. Demand for EW systems are anticipated to be driven by rapid technological advancements in the domain, focus on directed energy weapons, and the growing need for electronic protection capabilities in militaries globally.
Overview of electronic warfare market
To know more about key players, download a free report sample
What are the market dynamics in the electronic warfare market?
The need to integrate stealth technology and electronic warfare systems into military equipment is anticipated to act as a major demand driver for EW systems, as stealth technology on its own will not be sufficient to combat anti-access/area denial (A2/AD) threats in the future. Communications are under significant attack across two primary areas: electronic warfare and cyberwarfare. In the instance of EW, communications hardening, and increased jamming and intercept capabilities are currently in an ongoing development and fielding race, with techniques also undergoing rapid evolution. Faced with the increasing threat of IEDs, militaries across the globe are armed with dismounted and portable jammers. The increasing focus on portable EW systems will facilitate the development of smaller lightweight personal protection devices to improve warfighting capabilities.
Continuous research and development in the radio frequency, lasers, and other electromagnetic fields is enabling various countries across the globe to develop or procure new devices for systems used in the sophisticated security of the electromagnetic spectrum. The pivot to peer or near-peer conflict is driving advanced technology in EW and will continue to do so for decades to come.
What is the electronic warfare value chain segmentation?
The electronic warfare value chain has been segmented into electronic attack, electronic protection, electronic warfare support, and directed energy weapons.
- Electronic attack: It is the biggest submarket within EW, in terms of monetary value and extent of proliferation. EA is an offensive instrument seeking to deny the enemy the use of the Electromagnetic Spectrum (EMS) EA products fit in both offensive and defensive categories in operational terms. The EA means are constantly evolving, due to the evolving nature of the threats they are to counter.
- Electronic protection: It involves actions taken to protect personnel, facilities, and equipment from any effects of friendly or enemy use of the electromagnetic spectrum that degrade, neutralize, or destroy friendly combat capability. Key tools in this segment include Towed Decoy Systems, Radar Reflective Decoy Chaff, Infrared Flare Dispensers, Electromagnetic hardening, Emission Control (EMCON), Spectrum Management, and Wartime Reserve Modes (WARM).
- Electronic warfare support: It is the subdivision of EW involving actions tasked by, or under the direct control of, an operational commander to search for, intercept, identify, and locate or localize sources of intentional and unintentional radiated EM energy for the purpose of immediate threat recognition, targeting, planning, and conduct of future operations.
- Directed energy weapons: The US Department of Defense (DoD) describes directed energy as an umbrella term covering technologies related to the production of a beam of concentrated electromagnetic energy or atomic or subatomic particles. The leading sectors are lasers and microwave weapons. Particle beam weapons and sonic weapons have also been developed, although there are fewer examples of these.
The electronic warfare support segment is anticipated to account for the largest share of expenditure globally followed by the electronic protection segment. The electronic attack segment is anticipated to account for the third-largest segment of expenditure over the forecast period.
Which are the key companies in the electronic warfare market?
Major public companies in the electronic warfare market include Arralis, Aselsan Elektronik Sanayi ve Ticaret, BAE Systems, Bharat Electronics, Cohort, Elbit Systems, and General Dynamics.
Major private companies in the electronic warfare market include Alaire Technologies, API Technologies, Ball, Cobham, Concern Radioelectronic Technologies (KRET), Elettronica SpA, and Hensoldt.
Electronic warfare market, key companies
To know more about key players, download a free report sample
Market report scope
|Market size (Year – 2020)||$12.80 billion|
|Growth rate (CAGR)||>1%|
|Base year for estimation||2020|
|Key Companies||Arralis, Aselsan Elektronik Sanayi ve Ticaret, BAE Systems, Bharat Electronics, Cohort, Elbit Systems, General Dynamics, Alaire Technologies, API Technologies, Ball, Cobham, Concern Radioelectronic Technologies (KRET), Elettronica SpA, and Hensoldt|
|Key Value Chain Segments||Electronic Attack (EA), Electronic Protection (EP), and Electronic Warfare Support (EWS), Directed Energy Weapons|
|Key Value Chain segments||Electronic attack, Electronic protection, Electronic warfare support, and Directed energy weapons|
In particular, it provides an in-depth analysis of the following –
- Market size and drivers: detailed analysis during 2021-2030, including highlights of the demand drivers and growth stimulators. It also provides a snapshot of the spending and modernization patterns of different regions around the world.
- Recent developments and industry challenges: insights into technological developments and a detailed analysis of the changing preferences of electronic warfare segments around the world. It also provides trends of the changing industry structure and the challenges faced by industry participants.
- Regional highlights: study of the key markets in each region, providing an analysis of the key segments of the market that are expected to be in demand.
- Major programs: details of the key programs in each segment, which are expected to be executed during 2021-2030.
- Competitive landscape and strategic insights: analysis of the competitive landscape of the global market. It provides an overview of key players, together with information regarding key alliances, strategic initiatives, and financial analysis.
Reasons to Buy
- Determine prospective investment areas based on a detailed trend analysis of the global electronic warfare market over the next ten years.
- Gain in-depth understanding about the underlying factors driving demand for different electronic warfare segments in the top spending countries across the world and identify the opportunities offered by each of them.
- Strengthen your understanding of the market in terms of demand drivers, industry trends, and the latest technological developments, among others.
- Identify the major channels that are driving the global electronic warfare market, providing a clear picture of future opportunities that can be tapped, resulting in revenue expansion.
- Channelize resources by focusing on the ongoing programs that are being undertaken by the internal ministries of different countries within the global electronic warfare market.
- Make correct business decisions based on thorough analysis of the total competitive landscape of the sector with detailed profiles of the top electronic warfare systems providers around the world which include information about their products, alliances, recent contract wins and financial analysis wherever available.
Israeli Aerospace Industry (IAI)
Rafael Advanced Defense Systems
Raytheon Technologies, Alibaba
Alphabet (parent company of Google)
Baidu Raytheon Technologies
Communications & Power Industries
Huntington Ingalls Industries
Krauss Maffei Wegmann
Quantic Boeing, BAE, Dynetics, Raytheon, Elbit, Lockheed Martin, Genasys, MBDA Ball Corp., KRET, BAE Systems, Lockheed Martin
Table of Contents
Market size and growth forecasts
Mergers and acquisitions
Electronic Warfare Support
| Our thematic research methodology
| About GlobalData
List of Tables
Key players in the electronic warfare Value chain
Mergers and acquisitions
List of Figures
Key players in the electronic warfare value chain
Electronic Warfare value chain
Global electronic warfare market by region 2020-2030
Electronic warfare market by segment
The electronic warfare timeline
The electronic warfare value chain
Electronic attack, The electronic warfare value chain
Electronic protection, The electronic warfare value chain
Electronic warfare support, The electronic warfare value chain
Directed energy weapons
Frequently Asked Questions
The total electronic warfare market value was $12.80 billion in 2020.
The electronic warfare market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 1% during 2021-2030.
The electronic warfare market is segmented into electronic attack (EA), electronic protection (EP), electronic warfare support (EWS) and directed energy weapons.
The major public companies in the electronic warfare market include Arralis, Aselsan Elektronik Sanayi ve Ticaret, BAE Systems, Bharat Electronics, Cohort, Elbit Systems, and General Dynamics.
The major private companies in the electronic warfare market include Alaire Technologies, API Technologies, Ball, Cobham, Concern Radioelectronic Technologies (KRET), Elettronica SpA, and Hensoldt.
Get in touch to find out about our multi-purchase discounts
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Every customer’s requirement is unique. We understand that and can customize the report basis your exact research requirements pertaining to market insights, innovation insights, strategy and planning, and competitive intelligence. You can also avail the option of purchasing stand-alone sections of the report or request for a country specific report.
Still undecided about purchasing this report?
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.