Failure Case Study: Amazon Dash
“Failure Case Study: Amazon Dash” is part of GlobalData’s Successes and Failures research. It examines the details of and reasons behind the failure of Amazon Dash buttons, intended to make at-home shopping easier. It delivers the critical “what?”, “why?”, and “so what?” analysis to teach you crucial lessons that increase your chances of launching successful products.
A real-life, “Easy” button, Amazon Dash were adhesive buttons connected to Wi-Fi that allowed customers to press whenever they wanted a refill of their favorite household items (as well as a few off items). While initially viewed as evidence of Amazon invading the home of consumers, ultimately this was an inconsequential and uninspired attempt to encourage shoppers to press and purchase without a second thought. With the competition of much more sophisticated technology and overall usage issues, the buttons disappeared as another example of a company not understanding consumer needs.
– Amazon introduced the Dash button after virtual assistants had started to take off, making the concept seem obsolete.
– It failed to understand that consumers like to have the opportunity to experiment and try new products.
– Amazon wasn’t able to create a “habit” with consumers that would trigger a behavior and generate loyalty.
Reasons to Buy
– Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
– Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
– Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
– Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Get in touch to find out about our multi-purchase discounts
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Every customer’s requirement is unique. We understand that and can customize the report basis your exact research requirements pertaining to market insights, innovation insights, strategy and planning, and competitive intelligence. You can also avail the option of purchasing stand-alone sections of the report or request for a country specific report.
Still undecided about purchasing this report?
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.