Governance, Risk and Compliance – The Nigerian Insurance Industry
- Pages: 48
- Published: July 2016
- Report Code: GD-IS0006RR
GlobalData’s 'Governance, Risk and Compliance – The Nigerian Insurance Industry' report is the result of extensive research into the insurance regulatory framework in Nigeria.
It provides detailed analysis of the insurance regulations for life, property, motor, liability, personal accident and health, and marine, aviation and transit insurance. The report specifies various requirements for the establishment and operation of insurance and reinsurance companies and intermediaries.
The report brings together GlobalData’s research, modeling and analysis expertise, giving insurers access to information on prevailing insurance regulations, and recent and upcoming changes in the regulatory framework, taxation and legal system in the country. The report also includes the scope of non-admitted insurance in the country.
• The report covers details of the insurance regulatory framework in Nigeria.
• The report contains details of the rules and regulations governing insurance products and insurance entities.
• The report lists and analyzes key trends and developments pertaining to the country’s insurance regulatory framework.
• The report analyzes the rules and regulations pertaining to the establishment and operation of insurance businesses in the country.
• The report provides details of taxation imposed on insurance products and insurance companies.
Reasons to buy
• Gain insights into the insurance regulatory framework in Nigeria.
• Track the latest regulatory changes, and expected changes impacting the Nigerian insurance industry.
• Gain detailed information about the key regulations governing the establishment and operation of insurance entities in the country.
• Understand key regulations and market practices pertaining to various types of insurance product.
African Alliance Insurance Company Ltd
Alliance & General Insurance Life Assurance
Capital Express Assurance Limited
Anchor Insurance Company Ltd
LASACO Assurance Plc
Oasis Insurance Plc
Standard Alliance Insurance Plc
Leadway Assurance Company Limited
Nicon Insurance Plc
Niger Insurance Plc
Union Assurance Company Ltd
Continental Reinsurance Company Plc
Nigeria Reinsurance Corporation
Table of Contents
1.1 What is this Report About?
2 Governance, Risk and Compliance
2.1 Legislation Overview and Historical Evolution
2.2 Latest Changes in Regulations
2.3 Legislation and Market Practice by Type of Insurance
2.3.1 Life insurance
2.3.2 Property insurance
2.3.3 Motor insurance
2.3.4 Liability Insurance
2.3.5 Marine, aviation and transit insurance
2.3.6 Personal accident and health insurance
2.4 Compulsory Insurance
2.4.1 Workmen’s compensation insurance
2.4.2 Motor third-party liability insurance
2.4.3 Builder’s liability insurance
2.5 Supervision and Control
2.5.1 International Association of Insurance Supervisors (IAIS)
2.5.2 African Insurance Organization (AIO)
2.5.3 National Insurance Commission (Naicom)
2.5.4 Nigerian Insurance Association
2.6 Non-Admitted Insurance Regulations
2.6.3 Market practices
2.6.4 Fines and penalties
2.7 Company Registration and Operations
2.7.1 Types of insurance organization
2.7.2 Establishing a local company
2.7.3 Foreign ownership
2.7.4 Types of license
2.7.5 Capital requirements
2.7.6 Solvency margins
2.7.7 Reserve requirements
2.7.8 Investment regulations
2.7.9 Statutory return requirements
2.7.10 Fee structure
2.8.1 Insurance premium or policy taxation
2.8.2 Withholding taxes on premium paid overseas
2.8.3 Corporate tax
2.9 Legal System
2.9.2 Access to court
2.9.3 Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
3.2 Contact GlobalData
3.3 About GlobalData
3.4 GlobalData’s Services
List of Tables
Table 1: Insurance Industry Definitions
Table 2: Nigeria – Insurance Regulatory Framework Key Features
Table 3: Nigeria – Life Insurance Regulatory Framework
Table 4: Nigeria – Life Insurance Intermediary Remuneration
Table 5: Nigeria – Property Insurance Regulatory Framework
Table 6: Nigeria – Motor Insurance Regulatory Framework
Table 7: Nigeria – Liability Insurance Regulatory Framework
Table 8: Nigeria – Minimum Capital Requirements
Table 9: Nigeria – Corporate Tax Rates for the Financial Year 2016
List of Figures
Figure 1: Nigeria – Insurance Supervision and Control at Various Levels
Figure 2: Nigeria – Insurance Regulatory Frameworks for Company Registration and Operation