Governance, Risk and Compliance – The Ethiopian Insurance Industry
- Pages: 35
- Published: February 2017
- Report Code: GD-IS0111RR
GlobalData’s 'Governance, Risk and Compliance – The Ethiopian Insurance Industry' report is the result of extensive research into the insurance regulatory framework in Ethiopia.
It provides detailed analysis of the insurance regulations for life, property, motor, liability, personal accident and health, and marine, aviation and transit insurance. The report specifies various requirements for the establishment and operation of insurance and reinsurance companies and intermediaries.
The report brings together GlobalData’s research, modeling and analysis expertise, giving insurers access to information on prevailing insurance regulations, and recent and upcoming changes in the regulatory framework, taxation and legal system in the country. The report also includes the scope of non-admitted insurance in the country.
• The report covers details of the insurance regulatory framework in Ethiopia.
• The report contains details of the rules and regulations governing insurance products and entities.
• The report lists and analyzes key trends and developments pertaining to the country’s insurance regulatory framework.
• The report analyzes the rules and regulations pertaining to the establishment and operation of insurance businesses in the country.
• The report provides details of taxation imposed on insurance products and companies.
• The Ethiopian insurance industry is regulated by the NBE.
• Motor third-party liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance for insurance intermediaries are compulsory classes of insurance.
• Composite insurance is permitted in Ethiopia.
• The government does not permit foreign direct investment in the insurance industry.
• Non-admitted insurance is prohibited in Ethiopia. However, unauthorized reinsurance companies can reinsure risks located in Ethiopia on a cross-border basis.
Reasons to buy
• Gain insights into the insurance regulatory framework in Ethiopia.
• Track the latest regulatory changes, and expected changes impacting the Ethiopian insurance industry.
• Gain detailed information about the key regulations governing the establishment and operation of insurance entities in the country.
• Understand key regulations and market practices pertaining to various types of insurance product.
Table of Contents
1.1 What is this Report About?
2 GOVERNANCE, RISK AND COMPLIANCE
2.1 Legislation Overview and Historical Evolution
2.2 Latest Changes in Regulation
2.3 Legislation and Market Practice by Type of Insurance
2.3.1 Life insurance
2.3.2 Property insurance
2.3.3 Motor insurance
2.3.4 Liability insurance
2.3.5 Marine, aviation and transit insurance
2.3.6 Personal accident and health insurance
2.4 Compulsory Insurance
2.4.1 Motor third party liability insurance
2.4.2 Professional indemnity for insurance intermediaries
2.5 Supervision and Control
2.5.1 National Bank of Ethiopia
2.6 Non-Admitted Insurance Regulation
2.6.3 Market practices
2.6.4 Fines and Penalties
2.7 Company Registration and Operations
2.7.1 Type of insurance organization
2.7.2 Establishing a local company
2.7.3 Foreign ownership
2.7.4 Types of license
2.7.5 Capital requirements
2.7.6 Solvency margin
2.7.7 Reserve requirements
2.7.8 Investment regulations
2.7.9 Statutory return requirements
2.7.10 Fee structure
2.8.1 Insurance premium or policy taxation
2.8.2 Withholding taxes on premium paid overseas
2.8.3 Corporate tax
2.9 Legal System
2.9.2 Access to court
2.9.3 Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
3.2 Contact GlobalData
3.3 About GlobalData
3.4 GlobalData’s Services
List of Tables
Table 1: Insurance Industry Definitions
Table 2: Ethiopia – Insurance Regulatory Framework Key Features
Table 3: Ethiopia – Life Insurance Regulatory Framework
Table 4: Ethiopia – Property Insurance Regulatory Framework
Table 5: Ethiopia – Motor Insurance Regulatory Framework
Table 6: Ethiopia – Liability Insurance Regulatory Framework
Table 7: Ethiopia – Corporate Tax Rates for the Financial Year 2017
List of Figures
Figure 1: Ethiopia – Insurance Regulatory Frameworks for Company Registration and Operation