Kenya: Country Intelligence Report
- Pages: 36
- Published: September 2017
- Report Code: TC0502MR
"Kenya: Country Intelligence Report", a new Country Intelligence Report by GlobalData, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Kenya today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Published annually, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, and mobile, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
The telecom service revenue growth in Kenya over 2017-2022 will be driven by the mobile data and fixed broadband segments. Mobile voice will be the largest revenue-contributing segment over 2017-2022. Going forward, operators as well as the government will focus on efforts to expand high-speed wireless and the fixed broadband network, thereby driving demand for data services.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following –
– Regional context: telecom market size and trends in Kenya compared with other countries in the region.
– Economic, demographic and political context in Kenya.
– The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to 4G spectrum licensing, taxation, fiber coverage and more.
– A demand profile: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, and mobile data markets.
– Service evolution: a look at changes in the breakdown of overall revenue between the fixed and mobile sectors and between voice, data and video from 2016 to 2022.
– The competitive landscape: an examination of key trends in competition and in the performance, revenue market shares and expected moves of service providers over the next 18-24 months.
– In-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, and mobile data services: a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by network technology and by operator, as well as of average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
– Main opportunities: this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in Kenya's telecommunications market.
– Overall telecom service revenue in Kenya will grow at a CAGR of 6.1% during 2017-2022.
– Mobile revenue will account for 94.7% of total telecom revenue in 2022, driven by increasing adoption of mobile broadband and 4G services.
– 3G will be the most adopted mobile technology in 2022. Rising demand for high-speed data service and expansion of the 3G network will drive subscriber growth.
– Safaricom holds a majority 74.0% share of total mobile subscriptions led by expansion of the 4G/LTE network and 4G+/LTE-A network via carrier aggregation. We expect the competition to intensify further as all operators are focusing on LTE expansion with a focus on mobile data services.
– Operators will also focus on expanding fiber deployments and cater to the rising data demand.
Reasons to buy
– This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Kenya’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
– Accompanying GlobalData’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Kenya’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
– With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
– The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Kenya’s telecommunications markets.
– The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Kenya.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Table of contents 3
Market highlights 4
Demographic, macro and regulatory context 5
Demographic and macroeconomic context 6
Regulatory context 8
Telecom services market outlook 9
Total telecom service revenue 10
Mobile services market 12
Fixed services market 18
Competitive landscape and company snapshots 20
Competitive landscape 21
Telkom Kenya 23
Airtel Kenya 24
Additional resources 25
Baseline forecast assumptions 26
Data tables 27
Research Methodology 32
About the authors 33
Country Intelligence Report coverage 34
About GlobalData 35