Internet of Things – Thematic Research
The Internet of Things (IoT), describes the use of connected sensors and actuators to control and monitor the environment, the things that move within it, and the people that act within it. Advances in data center technology are already pushing more intelligence to the edge of data networks, reducing latency, while Artificial Intelligence of Things (AIoT) technology is gradually reducing the role of human decision-making in many IoT ecosystems.
The IoT thematic research report gives an overview of the IoT value chain, market size, growth forecasts, and the key trends impacting the market.
Read the sample report to know more about IoT market dynamics
Internet of Things – Market Trends
The main trends shaping the IoT theme over the next 12 to 24 months are shown below. The report classifies these trends into three categories: technology trends, macroeconomic trends, and regulatory trends.
- Technology Trends: The key technology trends impacting the IoT market are the lack of global IoT security and communication standards, 5G, Healthtech, Artificial Intelligence of Things (AIoT), Intelligence Edge Computing, IoT as a Service (IoTaaS), Digital Twins, Wearables, Next-gen chips, and Software-defined networking (SDN).
- Macroeconomic Trends: COVID-19, the US vs. China battle for tech supremacy, IPO activity, M&A activity, and sustainability are some of the macroeconomic trends impacting the IoT market.
- Regulatory Trends: Some of the key regulatory trends impacting the IoT market are IoT regulation, and data privacy
For additional insights on the Internet of Things market trends, request for sample PDF
Internet of Things – Industry Analysis
The global IoT market was worth $622 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 12% during 2019-2024. The enterprise IoT dominates the IoT market, generating around three-fourth of the total revenue in 2020.
The report covers various other aspects impacting the IoT market including –
- Business benefits of IoT
- Evolving IoT business models
- The three prerequisites for pervasive IoT
- The most talked-about areas of IoT
- Patent trends
- Mergers and acquisitions
Want to know more about the IoT market size and growth forecast, request for a free sample PDF now!
Internet of Things Market – Value Chain Analysis
The IoT value chain has been split into five layers: devices, connectivity, data, apps, and services.
Data Layer: In the data layer, the information collected from connected things is stored, cleansed, integrated with other systems, and analyzed. Much of the analytics, security, and management is provided by companies offering infrastructure as a service (IaaS). Leaders in this space include Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and IBM. Various big data service providers such as SAP, Oracle, and Salesforce are also leaders in this segment.
App Layer: In the app layer, we find the smart hubs that control and monitor connected things. This is where the long-term value resides. Apple and Google are leaders in consumer IoT, while GE, Honeywell, PTC, and Bosch are leaders in the Industrial Internet. This layer is also where start-ups are most active.
Download sample PDF for additional insights on each value chain component
Internet of Things – Leading Companies
GlobalData highlights publicly listed and private companies making their mark within the IoT theme.
Public IoT Companies: Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, Broadcom, Cisco, Ericsson, General Electric (GE), IBM, Infineon, Intel, Microchip, Microsoft, NXP, Qualcomm, Salesforce, Samsung Electronics, SAP, Software AG, and Splunk are some of the main public IoT companies
Private IoT Companies: Some of the main private companies covered in this report are Arm, Armis Security, Libelium, Samsara, and Sigfox.
Grab your sample report copy for vendor-specific offerings and strategic initiatives
Internet of Things Market Overview
|Market Size (2020)||$622 Billion|
|Key Trends||Technology trends, Macroeconomic trends, and Regulatory trends|
|Value Chains||Devices layer, Connectivity layer, Data layer, Apps layer, and Services layer.|
|Public IoT Companies||Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, Broadcom, Cisco, Ericsson, General Electric (GE), IBM, Infineon, Intel, Microchip, Microsoft, NXP, Qualcomm, Salesforce, Samsung Electronics, SAP, Software AG, and Splunk|
|Private IoT Companies||Arm, Armis Security, Libelium, Samsara, and Sigfox|
- This report provides an overview of the Internet of Things (IoT) theme.
- It identifies the key trends impacting the growth of the theme over the next 12 to 24 months, split into three categories: technology trends, macroeconomic trends, and regulatory trends.
- It contains a comprehensive industry analysis, including market size and growth forecasts for both enterprise and consumer IoT, details of M&A deals driven by the IoT theme, and an analysis of patent trends.
- The detailed value chain shows comprise five layers: devices, connectivity, data, apps, and services. Leading and challenging vendors are identified across each of the five layers.
Reasons to Buy
- This report includes a comprehensive technology briefing, which identifies five major IoT markets (automated home, connected car, wearable technology, smart cities, and Industrial Internet).
- It also discusses key enabling technologies for IoT, including AI, cloud computing, 5G, and cybersecurity, and analyzes the four stages of IoT development.
- As well as market forecasts for the global IoT market, this report also includes forecasts to 2024 for consumer and enterprise IoT, and the five major IoT markets.
- The value chain identifies leading vendors and notable challengers across all layers, including devices, connectivity, data, and apps.
Black & Veatch
Check Point Software
Palo Alto Networks
Quanta Cloud Technology
Table of Contents
Frequently Asked Questions
The IoT market size was $622 billion in 2020.
The IoT market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 12% during 2020-2030.
The key technology trends impacting the IoT market are the lack of global IoT security and communication standards, 5G, Healthtech, artificial intelligence of things (AIoT), intelligence edge computing, IoT as a Service (IoTaaS), digital twins, wearables, next-gen chips, and Software-defined networking (SDN).
COVID-19, the US vs. China battle for tech supremacy, IPO activity, M&A activity, and sustainability are some of the macroeconomic trends impacting the IoT market.
Some of the key regulatory trends impacting the IoT market are IoT regulation, and data privacy
The IoT value chain components include devices, connectivity, data, apps, and services layers.
Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, Broadcom, Cisco, Ericsson, General Electric (GE), IBM, Infineon, Intel, Microchip, Microsoft, NXP, Qualcomm, Salesforce, Samsung Electronics, SAP, Software AG, Splunk, Arm, Armis Security, Libelium, Samsara, and Sigfox are some of the main IoT market players.
Get in touch to find out about our multi-purchase discounts
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Every customer’s requirement is unique. We understand that and can customize the report basis your exact research requirements pertaining to market insights, innovation insights, strategy and planning, and competitive intelligence. You can also avail the option of purchasing stand-alone sections of the report or request for a country specific report.
Still undecided about purchasing this report?
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.