The telecom service revenue in Paraguay was valued at $1 billion in 2021 and is forecasted to register a growth rate of more than 3.5% during the period of 2022-2026. The National Telecommunication Plan 2021- 2025 aimed at expanding telecoms/ICT service coverage in the country will bring new opportunities for telcos and infrastructure vendors.
The planned investment of $47 million in network upgrades and expansions by operators – Claro and Tigo Paraguay will bring new opportunities for infrastructure and equipment vendors. Ongoing investment in fixed broadband networks by Tigo and the regulator’s focus on improving fixed infrastructure will bring opportunities for telecom infrastructure and equipment vendors.
Paraguay telecom operators market overview
For more insights on this report, download a free report sample
What are the market dynamics in the telecom operators market in Paraguay?
The telecom regulator Conatel plans to carry out bidding for the 3.5 GHz band in 2023, with an aim to support the deployment of 5G networks over the coming years. The regulator is also aiming to cover 511 locations with 5G network by 2024-end and 1,012 locations by 2025.
The market is also being supported by steady growth in revenue contributions from mobile data, mobile voice, and fixed broadband segments.
What are the sector classifications in Paraguay’s telecom operators market?
Mobile data: Mobile data services revenues will increase, and this growth will be driven by an increase in 4G subscriptions, growing consumption of mobile data services over the forecast period, and rising mobile data ARPU.
Mobile voice: The mobile voice service revenues will increase supported by an increase in voice subscriptions. Mobile data service revenues will also increase at a five-year CAGR of more than 8%, driven by increase in 4G subscriptions, growing consumption of mobile data services over the forecast period and rising mobile data service ARPU.
Fixed broadband: The fixed broadband service revenues will increase driven by subscription growth for fiber and cable broadband services. The fixed broadband penetration of the population will increase supported by the efforts from the government and operators like Tigo for expanding broadband connectivity in the country. The government, for instance, has created a draft National Telecommunication Plan 2021-2025 which aims to expand coverage of fixed broadband services and improve the broadband service quality in the country.
Pay-TV: The pay-tv services revenues in Paraguay will decrease and this revenue drop is due to subscription loss across cable TV and declining overall pay-TV ARPU during the forecast period. However, when valued in terms of local currency, the total pay-TV service revenue will incline over 2021-2026, indicating a deprecation of local currency.
Fixed Voice: The fixed voice service revenues will decline from 2021 to 2026, due to a decline in fixed voice service ARPU and subscription loss in the circuit-switched segment.
Paraguay telecom operators market, by service
For more segment insights, download a free report sample
Who are the major players in Paraguay’s telecom operators market?
Tigo will lead the mobile, fixed broadband, and pay-TV markets in Paraguay, and will continue to lead the mobile market over the forecast period 2021-2026, supported by its significant focus on network upgrades. Tigo Paraguay’s parent firm, Millicom International Cellular (MIC), plans to invest US$135 million in Honduras, Paraguay, and Bolivia over the next three years to upgrade its network infrastructure. Furthermore, it has been promoting zero-rated access to OTT messaging application WhatsApp with its mobile plans to compete in the market.
Paraguay telecom operators market, by key players
To know more about key players, download a free report sample
Market report scope
|Market size (Year – 2021)||$1 billion|
|Growth rate (2022 to 2026)||CAGR of >3.5%|
|Base year for estimation||2021|
|Segmentation by service||Mobile Data, mobile voice, fixed broadband, pay-tv, mobile messaging, and fixed voice.|
|Key players||Tigo Paraguay, Personal Paraguay, COPACO(Vox) and Claro Paraguay.|
The Country Intelligence Report provides an in-depth analysis of the following:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Paraguay.
- The regulatory environment and trends.
- Telecom services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the mobile data, mobile voice, fixed broadband, pay-tv, mobile messaging, and fixed voice markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecom services market.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
Reasons to Buy
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of the Paraguay’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalData’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in the Paraguay’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, and broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Paraguay’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors, and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Paraguay.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Demographic, macroeconomic, and regulatory context
Demographic and macroeconomic context
Telecom market outlook Total telecom service revenue Mobile services market
Fixed services market Pay-TV service market
Competitive landscape and company snapshots
Competitive landscape Tigo Paraguay Personal Paraguay Capaco (Vox)
Baseline forecast assumptions Data tables
Country Intelligence Report coverage
Frequently Asked Questions
Paraguay’s Telecom service revenue in Paraguay was valued at $1 billion in 2021.
Paraguay’s Telecom service revenue in Paraguay is forecasted to register a growth of more than 3.5% during the period 2022-2026.
Key services in Paraguay’s Telecom service market include Mobile Data, Mobile Voice, Fixed Broadband, Pay-TV, Mobile Messaging, and Fixed Voice.
Tigo will lead the mobile, fixed broadband, and pay-TV markets in Paraguay, followed by the Personal Paraguay.