Retail Savings and Investments in Germany – (COVID-19) Impact Snapshot
The Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) outbreak, dubbed COVID-19, is first and foremost a human tragedy, affecting millions of people globally. The contagious Coronavirus, which broke out at the close of 2019, has led to a medical emergency across the world, with the World Health Organization officially declaring the novel Coronavirus a pandemic on March 11, 2020.
Fears surrounding the impact of COVID-19 have already significantly impacted the global economy, with key markets across the world losing 20-50% of their value for the year to date. Many economists and institutions have cut their forecasts, with consensus global GDP growth currently at 2.6% for 2020 and many experts predicting the potential onset of recessionary environments.
A similar trend can be seen in Germany. The country’s GDP has been revised downward for 2020 due to the economic disruption caused following the outbreak of Coronavirus. Germany is among the worst affected countries in the world, with total confirmed cases of 195,758 as of July 1, 2020. However, with new cases falling the government is slowly lifting lockdown restrictions. This move is expected to help revive the economy, benefiting the country’s retail saving and investments industry.
This report focuses on the impact of the Coronavirus outbreak on the German economy and the country’s retail savings and investment market. It also highlights the measures adopted by the government to combat COVID-19. Based on our proprietary datasets, the snap shot contrasts GlobalData’s pre-COVID-19 forecasts and revised forecasts of total retail bond, deposits, equities and mutual funds holdings in terms of value and growth rates. It also analyses the effects on HNW wealth, examining the importance of different industries as a contributor to HNW wealth.
– German retail savings and investments are forecast to decline by 0.4% over the course of 2020 as the economy has been affected by the impacts of COVID-19. Retail equity and mutual fund holdings are expected to take the brunt of the economy’s slowdown, with respective declines of 19.6% and 11.0% anticipated.
– Meanwhile, retail bonds are forecast to experience significant inflows as investors seek out the stable returns of fixed-income products despite the lack of real returns, so as to mitigate the overall risk of their portfolio. Consequently, we anticipate a 2.5% increase in retail bond holdings in 2020, as opposed to -5.8% as forecast pre-COVID-19.
– With the majority of banks implementing negative interest rates in the country to boost overall economic activity, we expect deposit balances to grow at a slow pace in the coming years after the initial flight to safety in 2020 wears off.
– The effects on the different segments that make up the HNW market will be disproportionate. The financial services and investments sector, which is the largest contributor to German HNW wealth, has already taken a significant hit, as indicated by the 23.1% decrease of the DAXsector All Banks index since the beginning of the year.
– The healthcare sector – the second-largest contributor to HNW wealth – has been less severely impacted, with the DAXsector Pharma & Healthcare declining by a comparatively lower 2.1% since the beginning of 2020.
– As an export nation, Germany’s manufacturing sector has been hit particularly hard, as a strong fall in global demand combined with interrupted supply chains has taken its toll. While production is gradually increasing with the easing of lockdown measures, sparse demand for output remains a headwind for this sector.
Reasons to Buy
– Make strategic decisions using top-level revised forecast data on the German retail savings and investments industry.
– Understand the key market trends, challenges, and opportunities in the German retail savings and investments industry.
– Receive a comprehensive insight into the retail liquid asset holdings in Germany, including deposits, mutual funds, equities, and bonds.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Retail Savings and Investments
Retail Bond Holdings
Retail Deposit Holdings
Retail Equity Holdings
Retail Mutual Fund Holdings
Get in touch to find out about our multi-purchase discounts
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Every customer’s requirement is unique. We understand that and can customize the report basis your exact research requirements pertaining to market insights, innovation insights, strategy and planning, and competitive intelligence. You can also avail the option of purchasing stand-alone sections of the report or request for a country specific report.
Still undecided about purchasing this report?
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.