South Africa Oils and Fats – Market Assessment and Forecasts to 2024
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
The South African oils & fats sector is led by oils category in both value and volume terms, in 2019. Oils category is forecast to register the fastest value growth, whereas solid fats category is forecast to be the fastest growing category in volume terms during 2019-2024. Hypermarkets & supermarkets accounted for the leading share in the distribution of oils & fats products. Rigid plastics is the most commonly used pack material in the country. Consumption of oils & fats is higher among females than males in the country. Willowton Group, Unilever and Bidco Oil Refineries Ltd. are the top three companies in the South African oils & fats sector.
GlobalData’s Country Profile report on the oils and fats sector in South Africa provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of packaging materials, types and closures category level distribution data and brands market shares.
What else is contained?
– Sector data: Overall sector value and volume data with growth analysis for 2014-2024
– Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for oils and fats with inputs on individual segment share within each category and the change in their market share forecast for 2019-2024
– Leading players: Market share of brands (in value and volume terms) and private labels (in value terms) in 2019
– Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each category through distribution channels such as cash & carries and warehouse clubs , convenience stores, department stores, “dollar stores”, variety stores & general merchandise retailers, e-retailers, food & drinks specialists, hypermarkets & supermarkets, and other general retailers
– Packaging data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each category, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Pack material data for glass, flexible packaging, paper & board, rigid plastics, rigid metal and others; pack type for: aerosol, speciality container, carton- liquid, jar, wrapper, can, bottle, bag/sachet, tub, stand-up pouch, and tray.
– The per capita consumption of oils and fats was higher in South Africa compared to both the global and the regional levels in 2019
– South African consumers prefer value for money products in the oils and fats sector
– In South Africa, the per capita consumption of oils was higher than solid fats in 2019
– In the oils category, products with health & wellness claims are forecast to grow at a higher CAGR than products without health & wellness claims during 2019-2024
– Rigid plastics is the most commonly used pack material in the South African oils and fats sector
– Kids & babies account for the leading share in the consumption of oils and fats in South Africa
Reasons to Buy
– Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
– Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
– Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
– Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
– Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
– The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
– Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as real GDP, nominal GDP, consumer price index, household consumption expenditure, population (by age group, gender, rural-urban split, and employed people and unemployment rate. It also includes economic summary of the country along with labor market and demographic trends.
Bidco Oil Refineries Ltd.
Rein Oil Cc
Pietro Coricelli S.p.A. P.iva
Wilmar International Ltd.
FOODCORP GROUP PTY LTD
Epic Foods (Pty) Ltd
Southern Oil (Pty) Ltd
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Part 1: Market Environment
Value and volume share of South Africa in the global and Middle East & African market
Growth analysis of South Africa compared to other leading countries in the Middle East & Africa market
PCC and PCE of South Africa compared to global and Middle East & Africa market
Part 2: Sector Deep Dive
South Africa oils and fats sector snapshot
Market size analysis
Demand for premium products
Cross category comparison – value growth analysis and category winners and losers
Cross category comparison – volume growth analysis and category winners and losers
Part 3: Category Deep Dive
Per capita consumption analysis by category
Market size analysis- category: oils
Segment level analysis (in value terms) – oils
Segment level analysis (in volume terms) – oils
Market size analysis- category: solid fats
Segment level analysis (in value terms) – solid fats
Segment level analysis (in volume terms) – solid fats
Part 4: Distribution Analysis
Channel share analysis
Part 5: Competitive Environment
Leading companies value and volume share
Brand share analysis of top 5 companies
Brand share analysis by category of top 5 companies
Degree of consolidation/fragmentation by category
Part 6: Health & Wellness Analysis
Health & wellness analysis by category
Health & wellness analysis by product attributes
Health & wellness analysis by consumer benefits
Cross category comparison- products with H&W Vs. non H&W claims
Part 7: Packaging Analysis
Pack material growth analysis
Pack type growth analysis
Closure type growth analysis
Part 8: City Deep Dive
Value and volume growth analysis by leading cities
Category wise growth analysis by leading cities
Growth contribution by leading cities
Part 9: Consumergraphics
Part 10: Macroeconomic Analysis
Labor market development
Impact of macroeconomic factors in South Africa's economic growth
South Africa risk index (GCRI) 2019
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.