South Korea Cigarettes Market Analysis and Forecast by Segments, Distribution Channel, Competitive Landscape and Consumer Segmentation, 2021-2026
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
South Korea Cigarettes Market Report Overview
The South Korea cigarette market size was KRW12.59 trillion ($11 billion) in 2021 and is expected to increase at a CAGR of more than 2% during 2021-2026. Increased prices, more taxes, and strict restrictions on smoking are also playing a major role in cigarette market production as it is directly impacting the demand/supply chain.
The South Korea cigarettes market research report provides a comprehensive overview of the tobacco sector in South Korea. It also offers a comparative analysis of the value shares of South Korea in the Asia-Pacific and global tobacco sectors. Additionally, the per capita expenditure of tobacco in South Korea is also compared with the regional and global levels in this report.
South Korea Cigarettes Market Outlook
For more insights into the South Korea cigarettes market forecast, download a free report sample
South Korea Cigarettes Market Segments
The key cigarette segments in the market in focus are filter cigarettes king size, filter cigarettes 100s, and filter cigarettes 120s. Filter cigarettes king size was the largest segment in the market.
South Korea Cigarettes Market Analysis, by Segments
For more segment insights into the South Korea cigarettes market, download a free report sample
South Korea Cigarettes Market Segmentation by Distribution Channels
The key distribution channels in the South Korea cigarettes market are convenience stores, tobacco specialists, hypermarkets & supermarkets, department stores, cash & carries and warehouse clubs, and others. The convenience store was the leading distribution channel in the cigarettes category in 2021.
South Korea Cigarettes Market Analysis, by Distribution Channels
For more distribution channel insights into the South Korea cigarettes market, download a free report sample
South Korea Cigarettes Market - Competitive Landscape
The leading companies in the South Korea cigarettes market are Korea Tobacco & Ginseng Corporation, Philip Morris International Inc, British American Tobacco Plc, and Japan Tobacco Inc. Korea Tobacco & Ginseng Corporation was the leading company in the cigarettes category in 2021.
South Korea Cigarettes Market Analysis, by Companies
For more company insights into the South Korea cigarettes market, download a free report sample
South Korea Cigarettes Market Overview
|Market Size (2021)||KRW12.59 Trillion ($11 Billion)|
|Key Cigarettes Segments||Filter Cigarettes King Size, Filter Cigarettes 100s, And Filter Cigarettes 120s|
|Key Distribution Channels||Convenience Stores, Tobacco Specialists, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Department Stores, Cash & Carries and Warehouse Clubs, and Others|
|Leading Companies||Korea Tobacco & Ginseng Corporation, Philip Morris International Inc, British American Tobacco Plc, and Japan Tobacco Inc|
- Market Context: The report provides a comparative analysis of the value shares of South Korea in the Asia-Pacific and global tobacco sectors. Additionally, the per capita expenditure of tobacco in South Korea is also compared with the regional and global levels.
- Market Size and Structure: The report offers an overview of the growth at a sector level and provides an analysis of four categories: cigarettes. These categories are analyzed by value, volume, and CAGR for the period 2016–2026. The section also includes a value analysis of segments, and a value and volume analysis of sub-segment segments under each category for the period 2016–2026.
- Production and Trade: Provides analysis of per capita expenditure of tobacco in South Korea, by category, compared to the regional and global markets. Further, analysis of the leading distribution channels at the category level in 2021. The consumer sector reports cover the following eight distribution channels: cash & carry and warehouse clubs, convenience stores, department stores, e-retailers, hypermarkets & supermarkets, tobacco specialists, vending machines, and other general retailers.
- Taxation: It covers the taxation landscape in the country and its effects on the tobacco sector
- Manufacturers and Brands: The report provides an analysis of leading companies by category in 2021 and analyzes the market share and growth of private labels in each category.
- The Smoking Population: The report covers the consumption of tobacco by gender in South Korea.
- Operating Constraints: The report covers the impact of policies and regulations on the tobacco sector in South Korea.
- Prospects and Forecasts: The report covers forecast analysis of categories in the tobacco sector
- Macroeconomic analysis: The report also provides an outlook on macroeconomic indicators in South Korea, with a detailed summary of the economy, labor market, and demographics.
- Exchange rates: Exchange rates used to convert local currency to US dollars are annual average floating exchange rates.
- Time period: The report provides sector value and volume data, including the category and sector-level data for the period 2016–2026. Distribution channel data is for 2020, and company data is included for 2021.
- Per capita expenditure of tobacco was higher in South Korea than at global and regional levels in 2021
- Convenience store was the leading distribution channel in the cigarettes category
- The price of cigarettes in South Korea increased only seven times between 1996 and 2015
- Robust exports boosted South Korea’s GDP growth in 2021
- The ‘filter cigarettes 120s’ is forecast to be the fastest-growing sub-segment in the cigarettes category
Reasons to Buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes – prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and identify where to compete in the future.
Philip Morris International Inc
British American Tobacco Plc
Japan Tobacco Inc
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Part 2: Market Context
Value growth analysis by region
PCE of South Korea compared to global and Asia-Pacific markets
Part 3: Market Size and Structure
South Korea tobacco sector snapshot
Market size analysis –category: cigarettes
Segment analysis : cigarettes
Sub-segment analysis: cigarettes
Per capita expenditure analysis by category
Part 4: Taxation and Retail
Tax incidence comparison -cigarettes
Channel Share Analysis -cigarettes
Part 5 Manufacturers and Brands
Leading companies by volume share –cigarettes
Brand share analysis of top five companies by category
Part 6: The Smoking population
Smoking population, by gender
Part 7: Operating Constraints
Part 8: Prospects and Forecasts
Tobacco product growth analysis-cigarettes
Part 9: Macroeconomic Analysis
GDP growth and inflation
Labor market trend
Economic summary, labor market trends, and demographic trends
South Korea risk index (GCRI) 2021
South Korea risk analysis –compared to global and Asia-Pacific markets
Frequently asked questions
What was the South Korea cigarettes market size in 2021?
The cigarette market size in South Korea was KRW12.59 trillion ($11 billion) in 2021.
What is the South Korea cigarette market growth rate?
The cigarette market in South Korea is expected to achieve a CAGR of more than 2% during 2021-2026.
What are the key segments of the South Korea cigarette market?
The key segments in the South Korea cigarettes market are filter cigarettes king size, filter cigarettes 100s, and filter cigarettes 120s.
What are the key distribution channels of the South Korea cigarette market?
The key distribution channels in the South Korea cigarettes market are convenience stores, tobacco specialists, hypermarkets & supermarkets, department stores, cash & carries and warehouse clubs, and others.
Which are the leading companies in the South Korea cigarette market?
The leading companies in the South Korea cigarettes market are Korea Tobacco & Ginseng Corporation, Philip Morris International Inc, British American Tobacco Plc, and Japan Tobacco Inc.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.