Key Themes in Travel and Tourism Thematic Report Overview
The tourism sector has changed drastically since 2019. Prolonged movement restrictions imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic has brought about shifts in business operations and goals, and has also changed traveler behavior and preferences.
The key themes impacting the travel and tourism sector have been classified into technology, macroeconomic, and industry themes. AI, cloud computing, and cybersecurity are the key technology themes impacting the travel and tourism industry. The top macroeconomic themes impacting the travel and tourism sector include the evolution of China and its implications in the world market, COVID-19, ESG, and geopolitics. Furthermore, experience economy, online travel, and personalization are the major industry themes.
The key themes in the travel and tourism market research report will help to understand the importance of specific themes within tourism and why companies must invest in the ones which are relevant to them. The report also provides examples of what companies and organizations in the travel and tourism industry are doing in response to specific key themes, along with the outcome of these reactions.
Artificial intelligence (AI) refers to software-based systems that use data inputs to make decisions on their own. Within five years, the deployment of AI will be key to the survival of many companies of all shapes and sizes across the tourism sector. The uptake of AI is facilitating smarter, more efficient, and more reactive customer services and offerings. From digital assistants to human-less check-in experiences, AI holds great potential for the travel and tourism industry.
The travel and tourism industry holds hugely valuable data. Sensitive personal and corporate data is relayed online and stored in databases, making it an attractive target for attackers looking to leverage it for personal financial gain.
As the travel and tourism sector is embracing emerging technologies to redefine products, services, and consumer experiences, its cyber ecosystems have become increasingly vulnerable to security risks related to these technologies, the huge number of financial transactions they carry out, and the valuable customer data they store. Thus, cybersecurity has already made headwinds in the travel and tourism sector following cyber-attacks on several high-profile organizations.
2022 has proven to be a pivotal year in the travel and tourism industry as international travel has entered a recovery phase. In most countries, major travel restrictions have been withdrawn, allowing international passengers to move freely. Globally, international departures is expected to reach more than 60% of pre-COVID levels in 2022, and will improve further in 2023 and 2024, before fully recovering by 2025.
Biggest Themes Shaping the Travel and Tourism Industry
For more insights on key themes impacting the travel and tourism industry, download a free report sample
Themes in Travel and Tourism Sector Scorecard
GlobalData uses a scorecard approach to predict tomorrow’s leading companies within each sector. The sector scorecards help to determine which companies are best positioned for a future filled with disruptive threats. There are many sectors covered in this report including the airport sector, airline sector, attraction operator sector, lodging sector, rail and road transport sector, and travel intermediaries sector. Each sector scorecard has three screens:
- The thematic screen shows who are the overall leaders in the 10 themes that matter most, based on the thematic engine.
- The valuation screen shows whether publicly listed players appear cheap or expensive relative to their peers, based on consensus forecasts from investment analysts.
- The risk screen shows who the riskiest players in each industry are, based on the assessment of four risk categories: operational risk, financial risk, industry risk, and country risk.
Airport Sector Scorecard – Thematic Screen
To know more about sector scorecards related to the travel and tourism industry, download a free report sample
Themes in Travel and Tourism Sector Report Overview
|Key Trends||Technology Trends, Macroeconomic Trends, and Industry Trends|
- This report provides an overview of the key themes in travel and tourism for 2023.
- This report clearly defines and explains what the key technology, macroeconomic and industry themes are in travel and tourism and how they often interlink.
- This report outlines the importance of specific themes within tourism and why companies must invest in the ones which are relevant to them.
- This report provides examples of what companies and organizations in the travel and tourism industry are doing in response to specific key themes, along with the outcome of these reactions.
- We highlight travel and tourism companies that are leading in these themes, such as Trip.com, Airbnb, Fraport Airport, American Airlines, Choice Hotels, Melia Hotels, Intrepid Travel, and Marriott International.
Reasons to Buy
- To understand the key themes in travel and tourism and their current and future impact on the industry.
- To recognize how the key themes in travel and tourism are often interlinked.
- To assess companies’ level of engagement with the themes.
- To become aware of the strategies that tourism companies and organizations have adopted to tap into key themes, as well as the success of these strategies.
- GlobalData’s thematic research ecosystem is a single, integrated global research platform that provides an easy-to-use framework for tracking all themes across all companies in all sectors. It has a proven track record of identifying important themes early, enabling companies to make the right investments ahead of the competition, and securing that all-important competitive advantage.
Royal Caribbean International
China Eastern Airlines
China Southern Airlines
Table of Contents
Travel and Tourism’s Theme Map
• Artificial intelligence
• Cloud computing
• China outlook
• Experience economy
• Online travel
• Airport sector scorecard
• Airline sector scorecard
• Attraction operator sector scorecard
• Lodging sector scorecard
• Rail and road transport sector scorecard
• Travel intermediaries sector scorecard
Our Thematic Research Methodology
Frequently Asked Questions
AI, cloud computing, and cybersecurity are the key technology themes impacting the travel and tourism industry.
The uptake of AI is facilitating smarter, more efficient, and more reactive customer services and offerings. From digital assistants to human-less check-in experiences, AI holds great potential for the travel and tourism industry.
The top macroeconomic themes impacting the travel and tourism sector include the evolution of China and its implications in the world market, COVID-19, ESG, and geopolitics.
The key industry themes impacting the travel and tourism industry are experience economy, online travel, and personalization are the major industry themes.
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Every customer’s requirement is unique. We understand that and can customize the report basis your exact research requirements pertaining to market insights, innovation insights, strategy and planning, and competitive intelligence. You can also avail the option of purchasing stand-alone sections of the report or request for a country specific report.
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.