Austria Foodservice Market Size and Trends by Profit and Cost Sector Channels, Consumers, Locations, Key Players, and Forecast, 2020-2024
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
"Austria – The Future of Foodservice to 2024” published by GlobalData provides extensive insight and analysis of the Austrian Foodservice market over the next five years (2019-2024) and acts as a vital point of reference for operators or suppliers. The report includes:
The overall value of the Austrian foodservice profit sector grew at a CAGR of 2.3% between 2014 and 2019 and had a value of EUR14.2 billion in 2019.
Growth of the profit sector in the Austrian foodservice market in recent years has been predominantly driven by the improved labor market, a decrease in the unemployment rate supported domestic demand, and a corresponding increase in foreign tourism. Both sales and transactional growth are expected to contract during 2019-2024, as the economic climate, will be negatively affected by COVID-19 leading to a contraction in consumer spending.
The full-service restaurant continues to be the largest foodservice channel, accounting for 34.9% of sales across the profit sector. Accommodation stood second by revenue, with a value of EUR3.3 billion of the overall market by revenue driven by growing both domestic and international tourism sector.
Overview of Austria's macro-economic landscape: Detailed analysis of current macro-economic factors and their impact on Austria's foodservice market including GDP per capita, consumer price index, population growth and annual household income distribution.
Growth dynamics: In-depth data and forecasts of key channels (QSR, FSR and Pubs, Clubs and Bars) within Austria's foodservice market, including the value of the market, number of transactions, number of outlets and average transaction price.
Customer segmentation: identify the most important demographic groups, buying habits and motivations that drive out-of-home meal occasions among segments of the Austrian population.
Key players: Overview of market leaders within the four major channels including business descriptions and number of outlets.
– The foodservice profit sector in Austria grew at a notable CAGR of 2.3%, from EUR12.6 billion in 2014 to EUR14.2 billion in 2019. In recent years, the growth of the profit sector in the Austrian foodservice market has been predominantly driven by the improved labor market, a decrease in the unemployment rate supported domestic demand, and a corresponding increase in foreign tourism, which rose by 3% in 2019 to record levels of 46.18 million1. In addition, the change of consumer preferences from city street food to shopping malls and outlet brands supported the foodservice profit sector growth during the review period.
– Both transactions and outlets in the overall Austrian foodservice market grew at a CAGR of 0.9% each during 2014-2019, it is anticipated that transactions and outlets to grow at a decelerated CAGR of 0.2% each over the forecast period. In 2020, the number of transactions will be significantly affected by the dip in tourism, which contributes a significant part of Austria’s foodservice profit sector. Furthermore, flat outlet growth rate is due to increasing market saturation, with consumers being given an abundance of choice between restaurant brands, formats, and cuisine types. However, foodservice outlet presence in shopping centers will continue to increase in Austria.
– According to an annual index compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit, the capital of Austria, Vienna, has repeatedly been voted the most livable city in the world. In November 2019, the Austrian government imposed 100% smoke-free laws that ban smoking in all indoor and public places such as bars, cafés, and workplaces. Due to this legislation introduced by the government consumers may decrease their duration of time, used by them for socializing in cafés and restaurants. Thereby, negatively affecting the growth rate of the profit sector during the forecast period.
– Traditional eating habits are still dominant in the country, with independent restaurants and dine-in occasions defining the marketplace to a significant extent. While home deliveries have emerged in recent years, they still account for a marginal share, and chains are making inroads although primarily in the major cities across the country.
Reasons to Buy
– Specific forecasts of the foodservice market over the next five years (2019-2024) will give readers the ability to make informed business decisions through identifying emerging/declining markets.
– Consumer segmentation detailing the desires of known consumers among all major foodservice channels (QSR, FSR and Pubs, Clubs and Bars) will allow readers understand the wants and needs of their target demographics.
Restaurant Brands International
Nordsee Holding GmbH
Aida Production Company mbH & Co. KG.
Doctor's Associates Inc.
Testa Rossa Caffe
Harald Holzer GmbH
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Population and demographic highlights
Monthly household income distribution
Introducing the Consumer Segments
Consumer segment profiles and key identification metrics
Segment engagement overview in four key profit sector channels
Profit Sector Metrics
Key metric highlights
Value share and growth by channel
Outlets and transactions growth by channel
Operator buying volumes and growth by channel
Channel historic and future growth dynamics
Outlet type and type of ownership growth dynamics
Profit Sector by Channel
Quick Service Restaurants (QSR)
Summary and key take-out
Full Service Restaurants (FSR)
Summary and key take-out
Coffee & tea shop
Summary and key take-out
Cost Sector Metrics
Cost operator trends – historic and future growth
Data and channel share breakdown
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.