Cloud Computing in Mining – Thematic Intelligence
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Cloud Computing in Mining Thematic Overview
Cloud’s value for mining companies comes directly from using it as a more sophisticated technological option for existing production and management functions and from the new resources, technologies, and services that can be established on an underlying organizational cloud architecture. Both are significant, but the latter is more so. A cloud-integrated mining company can have stronger data resources, digital technologies, personnel pools, internal operational procedures, and cooperation with other parties.
Cloud-enabled mines are better placed for safety, sustainability, and productivity. Cloud adoption is quite mature in the mining industry. However, the possibilities for the technologies that depend on cloud are still expanding, so spending on cloud by mining companies continues to grow fast.
Cloud Computing in Mining – Industry Analysis
The cloud computing in mining market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 18% between 2021 and 2026. Cloud is a mature but growing technology in the mining industry. Most players have established comprehensive cloud infrastructure by now, but most are still finding additional value in it. In addition, many emerging technologies – AI, digital twins, and others – depend on the cloud to run. Therefore, cloud engagement is flat in patents but growing fairly quickly by all other signals.
The cloud computing in mining industry analysis also covers:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Patent trends
- Company filings trends
- Cloud computing timeline
Cloud in Mining Market Size 2019-2026 ($ Billion)
For more insights into the cloud in mining market, download a free report sample
Cloud Computing in Mining- Value Chain Analysis
The cloud computing in mining value chain consists of three main areas: software as a service (SaaS), Platform as a service (PaaS), infrastructure as a service (IaaS).
Cloud Services (IaaS and PaaS): In the IaaS and PaaS markets, traditional IT stack infrastructure vendors, specializing in everything from databases and operating systems to virtualization, computing, storage, and networking, face competition from public cloud service providers. The latter use subscription-based, pay-as-you-use business models to offer a full portfolio of IT infrastructure, as well as tools and platforms for application developers. Despite their incumbency, many traditional IT infrastructure vendors, including DXC Technology, Dell, and Fujitsu, now offer cloud-based, IT-as-a-service options alongside traditional IT solutions.
Cloud Computing in Mining Value Chain Analysis
For more insights into the cloud computing in mining value chain, download a free report sample
Some of the leading adopters making their mark within the cloud computing in mining theme:
- Anglo American
- AngloGold Ashanti
- Resolute Mining
- Rio Tinto
- Teck Resources
Leading Cloud Vendors in Mining
Some of the leading vendors associated with this theme:
- Alphabet (parent company of Google)
- Cloud Software Group
- Dell Technologies
- DXC Technology
- Progress Software
Leading Specialist Vendors in Mining
Some of the leading specialist vendors in mining are:
- Bentley Systems
- Constellation Software
- Dassault Systèmes
- DUG Technology
- PETRA Data Science
- Schneider Electric
To know more about the leading adopters and vendors, and specialist vendors in the cloud computing theme, download a free report sample
Mining Sector Scorecard
At GlobalData, we use a scorecard approach to predict tomorrow’s leading companies within each sector. Our sector scorecard has three screens: a thematic screen, a valuation screen, and a risk screen.
- The thematic screen ranks companies based on overall leadership in the 10 themes that matter most to their industry, generating a leading indicator of future performance.
- The valuation screen ranks our universe of companies within a sector based on selected valuation metrics.
- The risk screen ranks companies within a particular sector based on overall investment risk.
Mining Sector Scorecard – Thematic Screen
To know more about the sector scorecards, download a free report sample
Cloud Computing in Mining Market Report Overview
|SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS
|Anglo American, AngloGold Ashanti, BHP, Boliden, Fortescue, Freeport-McMoRan, Komatsu, Newcrest, Newmont, Resolute Mining, Rio Tinto, South32, Teck Resources, and Vale
|Alibaba, Alphabet (parent company of Google), Amazon, Cisco, Cloud Software Group, Dell Technologies, Docker, DXC Technology, Huawei, Inspur, Kyndryl, Microsoft, Oracle, Progress Software, Rackspace, SAP, and VMware
|ABB, Bentley Systems, Caterpillar, Constellation Software, Dassault Systèmes, DataCloud, DUG Technology, Emerson, Epiroc, GreaseBoss, Hitachi, IFS, IntelliSense.io, Liebherr, Minetell, PETRA Data Science, Rescale, Sandvik, Schneider Electric, and Siemens
Segments Covered in the Report
Cloud Computing in Mining Value Chain Outlook
This report provides:
- The challenges facing the mining industry, together with thorough discussion of how cloud computing can help mitigate these challenges, as well as identify companies for partnerships.
- Global market size and growth (2019-2022) and forecast (2023-2026) of cloud computing revenues compiled by GlobalData technology and mining analysts.
- Key mergers and acquisitions (M&As) associated with the Cloud Computing theme in the mining sector over the last five years including date, deal value, and a brief description of the target company as compiled from GlobalData’s Deals database.
- Profiles of cloud computing vendors including specialists in the mining industry with details of their services.
- Profiles of leading adopters of cloud computing in mining including who they have partnered with for their cloud initiatives.
- Case studies of cloud computing implementation in the mining sector and how cloud computing has been used to increase productivity, reduce costs, improve safety, and progress towards sustainability objectives on the mine site.
- Unique thematic scorecard showing 50 global mining companies that predicts the success of mining companies in the next 2-5 years. Companies are scored in 10 themes that will disrupt the mining sector, informed by GlobalData’s comprehensive tracking of cloud computing-related deals, job openings, patents ownership, company news, financial and marketing statements.
- In cost and quality, the superior option for mining companies are public cloud environments provided by major technology players.
- Because of connectivity issues in remote locations, establishing hybrid capabilities upstream in the value chain will be necessary. The flexible, high-grade storage and computing power available as IaaS is valuable across the mining value chain.
- Case studies include Fatigue Science’s impact on safety; Metso Outotec’s use of Rescale for its Rocky DEM simulations, and Newcrest’s use of Microsoft Azure tools to optimize ore flow management.
Reasons to Buy
- Determine and prioritise which cloud technologies to invest in at each step of the mining value chain.
- Discover case studies where cloud computing has been used to overcome challenges faced by companies
- Quickly identify leading specialist cloud computing vendors in mining and shortlist potential partners based on their areas of expertise and historic partnerships
- As a technology vendor, identify the areas where the industry is most in need of your services and uncover the areas that are lacking specific cloud computing vendors that might prove profitable areas for expansion. Quantify the global sales opportunity for cloud computing for the mining industry by accessing GlobalData’s market size and forecasts (2019-2024), produced by our mining and technology analysts.
- Formulate marketing messages that resonate with buyers in the mining sector by identifying the key challenges that the sector faces and understanding how cloud computing is impacting the sector.
Cloud Software Group
PETRA Data Science
Table of Contents
- 1. Executive Summary
- 1.1. Inside
- 1.2. Related reports
- 1.3. Report type
- 2. Cloud Computing Value Chain
- 2.1. Key players in the cloud computing value chain
- 2.2. Cloud services (PaaS and IaaS)
- 2.3. Cloud services (SaaS)
- 2.4. Cloud professional services
- 3. Mining Challenges
- 3.1. The Impact of Cloud Computing on Mining
- 3.1.1. How cloud computing helps resolve the challenge of safety
- 3.1.2. How cloud computing helps resolve the challenge of productivity
- 3.1.3. How cloud computing helps resolve the challenge of ESG
- 3.1. The Impact of Cloud Computing on Mining
- 4. Case Studies
- 4.1. Fatigue Science brought $6 million in output gains to two North American mines
- 4.2. Metso Outotec enlisted Rescale to harness high-performance computing
- 4.3. Newcrest used Microsoft Azure tools to optimize ore flow management
- 5. Data Analysis
- 5.1. Market size and growth forecasts
- 5.2. Mergers and acquisitions
- 5.3. Patent trends
- 5.4. Company filings trends
- 5.5. Cloud computing timeline
- 6. Companies
- 6.1. Leading cloud computing adopters in mining
- 6.2. Leading cloud computing vendors
- 6.3. Specialist cloud computing vendors in mining
- 7. Sector Scorecard
- 7.1. Mining sector scorecard
- 7.2. Who’s who
- 7.3. Thematic screen
- 7.4. Valuation screen
- 7.5. Risk screen
- 8. Glossary
- 9. Further Reading
- 9.1. GlobalData reports
- 10. Our Thematic Research Methodology
- 10.1. Viewing the world’s data by themes makes it easier to make important decisions
- 10.2. Traditional research does a poor job of picking winners and losers
- 10.3. That is why we developed our thematic engine
- 10.4. How do we create our sector scorecards?
- 10.5. What is in our sector scorecards?
- 10.6. How do we score companies in our thematic screen?
- 10.7. How do our research reports fit into our overall thematic research ecosystem?
- 11. About GlobalData
Frequently asked questions
What are the components of the cloud computing in mining value chain?
The cybersecurity value chain consists of SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS.
Which are the leading adopters in cloud computing in mining?
Some of the leading adopters in cloud computing in mining are Anglo American, AngloGold Ashanti, BHP, Boliden, Fortescue, Freeport-McMoRan, Komatsu, Newcrest, Newmont, Resolute Mining, Rio Tinto, South32, Teck Resources, and Vale.
Which are the leading vendors in cloud computing in mining?
Some of the leading vendors in cloud computing in mining are Alibaba, Alphabet (parent company of Google), Amazon, Cisco, Cloud Software Group, Dell Technologies, Docker, DXC Technology, Huawei, Inspur, Kyndryl, Microsoft, Oracle, Progress Software, Rackspace, SAP, and VMware.
Which are the specialist vendors in cloud computing in mining?
Some of the specialist vendors in cloud computing in mining are ABB, Bentley Systems, Caterpillar, Constellation Software, Dassault Systèmes, DataCloud, DUG Technology, Emerson, Epiroc, GreaseBoss, Hitachi, IFS, IntelliSense.io, Liebherr, Minetell, PETRA Data Science, Rescale, Sandvik, Schneider Electric, and Siemens.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.