Coronavirus (COVID-19) Sector Impact: Retail Savings & Investments – China
The coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) outbreak, dubbed COVID-19, is first and foremost a human tragedy, affecting millions of people globally. The contagious coronavirus, which broke out at the close of 2019, has led to a medical emergency across the world, with the World Health Organization officially declaring the novel coronavirus a pandemic on March 11, 2020.
Fears surrounding the impact of COVID-19 have already significantly impacted the global economy, with key markets across the globe losing 20-50% of their value for the year to date. Many economists and institutions have cut their forecasts, with consensus global GDP growth currently at 2.6% for 2020 and many experts predicting the potential onset of recessionary environments.
A similar trend is expected in China, as economic growth in the country dipped in the first quarter of 2020. The decline had an adverse impact on all sectors, including the banking industry. While China was the first country to be impacted by the COVID-19 crisis, it is now on a path to recovery, with businesses restarting their operations and domestic travel resuming.
This report focuses on the impact of the coronavirus outbreak on the Chinese economy and the country’s retail savings and investment market. It also highlights the measures adopted by the government to combat COVID-19. Based on our proprietary datasets, the snap shot contrasts GlobalData’s pre-COVID-19 forecasts and revised forecasts of total retail bond, deposits, equities and mutual funds holdings in terms of value and growth rates. It also analyses the effects on HNW wealth, examining the importance of different industries as a contributor to HNW wealth.
– The Chinese retail savings and investment market is forecast to grow by just 4.6% in 2020, its worst performance since the global financial crisis.
– GlobalData’s revised post-COVID-19 forecast reflects the slight revival of the Chinese economy since the lifting of the lockdown measures, as the risk appetite of retail investors has improved. This was also supported by monetary policy measures taken by the government in order to boost investment and economic growth.
– The small bond holdings in the Chinese market are expected to surge, while deposit growth is set to accelerate modestly. On the other hand, uncertainty prevails in both equity and mutual fund holdings, even after experiencing boosts in their performances post-lockdown, as the adverse effects of the still-worsening trade relations with the US have started to reappear.
– Manufacturing wealth, an important source of wealth for the Chinese wealth market, will suffer during the global pandemic and the associated economic disruption. While there have been signs of improvement in the manufacturing sector, it has been affected by poor domestic consumption and fewer export orders.
– Since the lockdown measures were lifted, the retail, fashion, and luxury goods sector registered significant growth in terms of total wealth generated, as the affluent indulged in a shopping spree after spending months indoors. This tendency is likely to rebound the luxury goods market towards positive growth in turnover by the end of the year.
Reasons to Buy
– Make strategic decisions using top-level revised forecast data on the Chinese retail savings and investments industry.
– Understand the key market trends, challenges, and opportunities in the Chinese retail savings and investments industry.
– Receive a comprehensive insight into the retail liquid asset holdings in China, including deposits, mutual funds, equities, and bonds.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Retail Savings and Investments
Retail Bond Holdings
Retail Deposit Holdings
Retail Equity Holdings
Retail Mutual Fund Holdings
Get in touch to find out about our multi-purchase discounts
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Every customer’s requirement is unique. We understand that and can customize the report basis your exact research requirements pertaining to market insights, innovation insights, strategy and planning, and competitive intelligence. You can also avail the option of purchasing stand-alone sections of the report or request for a country specific report.
Still undecided about purchasing this report?
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.