COVID-19 Survey Snapshot: Impact on Consumer Behavior in Europe – Week 6
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
GlobalData is carrying out weekly consumer surveys in 11 countries between 25th March and 31st May 2020, to track consumer sentiment and shopping behavior during the Coronavirus (COVID19) pandemic. The sample size is 500 respondents per country, per week. The four countries in scope for Europe are Germany, Italy, Sweden, and the UK. Questions are consistent every week, and cover consumer opinions about COVID-19, buying behavior and product choices and impact of the Coronavirus (COVID19) outbreak on consumers' lifestyle and activities. This report summarizes the key findings from responses in week 6.
– General sentiment regarding the impact of COVID-19 in Italy is gradually becoming more positive. From week 1, the amount of Italians stating that they are ‘extremely concerned’ about the virus has dropped by 13%.
– The results from the week 6 survey suggest that a significant portion of the Italian, German and Swedish market are all influenced by how responsible a product/service is. 32% of UK consumers also stated that they are ‘always’ or ‘often’ influenced by responsible products/services, which is a two percent increase from last week.
– Compared to the remaining European source markets, Italy has a much stronger need for information, irrespective of its nature. For six out of the seven kinds of information that could be requested in this survey question, Italian consumers showed the strongest need for each of them, this result has stayed the same for the week 6 survey. Compared to the week 5 survey, the need for tips on personal health and wellbeing has decreased by three percent, whilst the need for news about initiatives being adopted by a brand remained the same. This may illustrate that Italian consumers may be beginning to look to the future and will start to judge companies on how they can operate to meet their changing needs in a post-COVID-19 environment. This provides tourism related companies that may want to target the Italian market with a new opportunity to gain a competitive advantage. Companies such as ones operating in the lodging industry that come up with new – and newsworthy – initiatives around hygiene may see an uptick in occupancy rates from Italians in comparison to their competitors.
– This report provides an insight into how the coronavirus pandemic is shaping consumer sentiment in Germany, Italy, Sweden and the UK.
– It summarizes key findings from the survey ‘s responses and offers insight into how destinations and industry players can adapt to meet changing demands and needs.
Reasons to Buy
– Gain access to primary survey data results.
– Understand how the coronavirus pandemic is changing consumer attitudes.
– Assess how you can adapt your business plans and strategies to better meet these changing needs.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
COVID-19 Impact on Consumer Behavior —Europe Week 6
Italy and the UK remain the most worried about the impacts created by COVID-19
UK and German travelers may be the least receptive to health and wellness trips
UK and German travelers may be the least influenced by responsible trips, although there still is demand for responsible tourism in these nations
Italian consumers purchasing decisions are the most affected by external factors
Social media use has stayed at a relatively similar level compared to the previous week
There is a clear opportunity for video advertising to the Italian source market
About the Survey
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.