Economic Liberalization in Latin America – How is it Affecting Insurance?
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
GlobalData’s Insight Report: Economic Liberalization in Latin America – How is it Affecting Insurance? analyzes the growth of insurance in Latin America.
Latin America is a lucrative region for global insurers facing sluggish growth and the rise of technology in larger developed markets. The region’s low insurance penetration and capacity for strong growth in income per capita are key assets for insurers.
Although political and economic conditions vary, overall the region has a bright outlook. A combination of rising incomes, rising penetration and large offshore energy-related projects will bolster demand for personal and commercial non-life products.
With Brazil accounting for around half the region’s insurance market, its prospects will heavily skew expectations for the region. Against this backdrop, insurers will accelerate digital transformation to drive efficiency, improve profitability and increase penetration. Regulatory reform in the areas of capital adequacy, cyber-risk and insurtech is expected to widen the insurance industry in this region.
The report also analyzes the regional developments in insurance and regulations. It also focuses on the current scenario of foreign ownership in each of the Latin American region and the emergence of risk-based capital framework in the region.
• The status of the overall insurance industry in Latin America
• Analysis of emerging trends in captive insurance, agricultural insurance and risk-based capital frameworks
• Analysis on the current landscape of foreign ownership in major Latin American nations
• Overview of the insurance industry in major Latin American nations such as Argentina, Brazil and Mexico
• Regional summary of insurance trends in other Latin American nations
• Despite the economic downturn after 2012 in Latin America, insurers have still been able to maintain marginal profitability and are expected to grow further as the downturn subsides.
• As Brazil emerges from a severe recession it is expected to reap the benefits of structural reforms implemented from 2015.
• The enforcement of Solvency II in Europe has led to moves worldwide to adopt similar risk-based capital regimes.
• A lack of historical data from a significantly large data sample makes it difficult for underwriters and actuaries to develop statistical models in determining kidnap and ransom policy prices.
• Regulatory reforms in the region, such as setting a new insurance compliance agenda and bolstering capital adequacy requirements, will increase the industry’s long-term financial stability, so it is more capable of insuring complex and diversified risk, and less reliant on reinsurance and retrocessions.
• Agricultural insurance, by contrast, remains relatively undeveloped, with much of the farming population unprotected and underserved by traditional markets. The region’s agricultural insurance penetration rate is just 0.03%, as compared to over 0.06% for North America.
Reasons to Buy
• Build an understanding of the current dynamics in the insurance industry in Latin America.
• Develop an insight into emerging trends associated with captive insurance, agricultural insurance and risk-based capital frameworks.
• Develop an understanding of the dynamics of foreign ownership in the continent.
• Gain a regional-level industry breakdown of major nations such as Argentina, Brazil and Mexico, and other notable nations such as Uruguay, Peru, Colombia, Chile and Ecuador.
Intercorp Peru Ltd
Lombard International Assurance SA (LIA)
Liberty Mutual Insurance Company AG
Table of Contents
1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
2 OVERVIEW OF LATIN AMERICA
3 FOREIGN OWNERSHIP
4 ARGENTINA – INSURANCE SUMMARY
5 BRAZIL – INSURANCE SUMMARY
6 MEXICO – INSURANCE SUMMARY
7 OTHER LATIN AMERICAN COUNTRIES – INSURANCE TRENDS
9 DEFINITIONS AND METHODOLOGY
10 ABOUT TIMETRIC
10.1 Contact GlobalData
10.2 About GlobalData
10.3 GlobalData's Services
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.