Achieving global goals such as mass-scale food production and sustainable low-cost manufacturing methods is the need of the hour. Synthetic Biology (SynBio) is a field of science that has grown over the last two decades to emerge as a mature area in biological engineering with its potential to reduce the costs of biological production methods and improve the global food supply. It also can be crucial to create patient-centric drugs and promote precision medicine for better health outcomes.
SynBio is commercialized in two major stages: ‘biofoundry’ where new biotechnologies are rapidly designed, built, and tested, and ‘biorefinery’ where the newly formed products are scaled, demonstrated, and mass-produced. Total funding in SynBio has surpassed $4B by August 2021, primarily aimed at bioingredients development and life sciences research. Low-cost biomanufacturing and DNA sequencing methods have sparked investor interest in exploring SynBio into food manufacturing and therapeutics.
This report highlights the importance of SynBio in the design and creation of biological entities that do not exist in nature or reengineer existing biological systems to develop products like medicines, chemicals, ingredients, and advanced materials to revolutionize the way we live and build a sustainable economy.
What are the market dynamics in synthetic biology (SynBio)?
SynBio has the potential to reduce the costs of biological production methods and become a key solution to improve the global food supply. SynBio technologies can assist in biomanufacturing to potentially reduce industrial carbon emissions into the atmosphere. It integrates digitalization with intelligent biological principles to create biofertilizers and pesticides that cause no harm to human and aquatic life. SynBio can be crucial to create patient-centric drugs and promote personalized medicine. CAR-T-cells represent the most relevant SynBio-inspired therapeutics to target cancer treatments.
What are the brand-new applications of SynBio potential?
Space: Via its BioNutrients experiment, NASA is testing an in-space nutrient production method that uses genetically engineered baker’s yeast to produce specific antioxidants in space.
Automotive: Bio-rubber and other types of elastomers obtained by fusing SynBio can be used in the tire and soft part industries.
Mining: Biomining with the aid of SynBio could envisage the use of acidophilic microbes to facilitate the recovery process of metals from sulfide minerals in the processes of bioleaching and bio-oxidation. SynBio could be increasingly used in biomining processes.
Utilities: For bio-inspired electrocatalysts microorganisms can create biocatalysts, the direct coupling of which to electron transport can produce high-energy aviation fuels.
Packaging: Replacing traditional polymers such as polyvinyl chloride and polypropylene, PHA bioplastics obtained via SynBio route can be used in convenience food packaging.
Other potential areas: In artificial photosynthesis research, SynBio enables the optimization of existing photosynthetic systems to create new photosynthetic systems that do not exist in nature to generate new plant phenotypes.
Country-wise share by VC deals value, Jan 2016- June2021
For more country-level insights, download a free report sample
Who are the players in synthetic bio?
SynBio companies design and build biological systems that process information, create chemicals, fabricate materials and structures to enhance the quality of human health. Key players include Abbvie, Absci, ADM, Adrestia, AgBiome, Agilent, Agrigenetics, Agrimetis, Bruker, Calysta, Calyxt, Cargill, GRO Biosciences, and Hera BioLabs.
Market report scope
|New application potential||Space, automotive, utilities, mining packaging and other areas|
|Companies Covered||Abbvie, Absci, ADM, Adrestia, AgBiome, Agilent, Agrigenetics, Agrimetis, Bruker, Calysta, Calyxt, Cargill, GRO Biosciences, Hera BioLabs, Hexagon Bio, Hitachi, Hookipa Biotech, Hoxton Farms, Huawei, Human Genome Sciences, Humane Genomics, IBM, ICRISAT, igenebio, Illumina among others.|
- Technology Decoding: presents the technology overview, key features, market drivers, major applications, and a market map with potential use cases and popular companies.
- Media & Trend Analysis: highlights the technology presentation from the media perspective, mainly major news and social media mentions promoting the technology. The section also includes mentions of SynBio technologies from company annual and other filings as well as recent job trends and postings from big corporations.
- Investment Radar: outlines the venture capital funding trends with some of the popular deals, areas where the smart money is flowing, and notable investors and accelerators pumping money into the technology growth.
- Innovation Explorer: highlights the game-changing biotech company and startup innovations, as well as select strategic initiatives of enterprises inclined at new product development. The section also captures innovative biofoundaries and presents SynBio products which penetrated phase III trials and higher stages.
- IP Landscaping: provides a top-level analysis of the trends in patent filings and grants, priority countries, key patent filers by industry segmentation, and use cases.
- The Road Ahead: summarizes the drivers and challenges, use cases that can become successful with business leaders, potential applications in new horizons, and the outlook of the technology in near future.
Reasons to Buy
GlobalData’s FutureTech Series Reports are aimed at capturing futuristic technologies which have the potential to disrupt tomorrow. These technologies are constantly changing, adapting, and progressing to enable a paradigm shift in our daily lives. The awareness, knowledge, and expertise of these topics help transform business models and strategic thinking with an in-depth understanding of mega trends that can directly influence patenting, collaboration, acquisition, and investment decisions.
Alexandria Real Estate Equity Inc
ARCH Venture Capital
Atlas Venture Inc
BASF Venture Capital
China National Chemical Corp
Human Genome Sciences
Integrated DNA Technologies
Johnson & Johnson
Leaps by Bayer
New Age Meats
Novo Nordisk Foundation
Plant Sensory Systems
Polaris Private Equity
Reliance Industries Limited
S.V Health Ventures
Sankyo Co Ltd
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Triton Algae Innovations
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
1. Technology Decoding: Overview, Key applications, and Major market players
2. Media Analysis: News publication trends, Thought leadership, Social media traction, Company filings
3. Investment Radar: VC investment trends, Top countries by most deals, Top funded startups, Most active investors and accelerators
4. Innovation Explorer: Key innovators: startups under spotlight and major enterprises in action
5. IP Landscaping: IP Filing trends
6. The Road Ahead: Drivers and challenges, Emerging concepts, Potential use cases for business leaders, Futuristic industry applications, Outlook
Frequently Asked Questions
Abbvie, Absci, ADM, Adrestia, AgBiome, Agilent, Agrigenetics, Agrimetis, Bruker, Calysta, Calyxt, Cargill, GRO Biosciences, Hera BioLabs are few of the companies covered.
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Every customer’s requirement is unique. We understand that and can customize the report basis your exact research requirements pertaining to market insights, innovation insights, strategy and planning, and competitive intelligence. You can also avail the option of purchasing stand-alone sections of the report or request for a country specific report.
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.