Global Risk Report Quarterly Update – Q4 2020
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Global Risk Report is based on GlobalData Country Risk Index (GCRI) which is a unique country risk-rating model that determines the existing and future level of country risk by assessing various qualitative and quantitative factors. The index is formulated to help firms prepare their global business strategies on the basis of historical developments in an economy and also their future expectations.
The Country Risk Index incorporates the latest available macroeconomics, political, social, technological, environmental and legal data from a range of recognized national and international statistical sources, and incorporates proprietary data from GlobalData Economics Research. The model also features expert analytical judgment from in-house economists and takes into account their insights and opinions. By applying a robust approach to assessing risk, GlobalData analysts ensure that strategists have an effective tool to assess current trends and risks facing the economies across the globe.
The twelfth update version of GlobalData Country Risk Index (GCRI) Q4 2020 ranks Switzerland at the top followed by Singapore and Denmark. 28 countries were identified in the very low risk zone, 22 countries in the low-risk zone, 36 countries under manageable risk, 39 countries under high risk and 11 countries in the very high-risk zone in GCRI Q4 2020.
– In Asia-Pacific, the risk score stood at 42.2 in Q4 2020, compared to 51.4 in Q2 2020, making it the second lowest risk region. A recovery in the purchasing managers’ index (PMI) for manufacturing has been witnessed in most APAC nations, along with a gradual recovery in global demand. An uptick in retail trade and growing demand for e-commerce helped the APAC economies recover in H2 2020.
– The European region remained the lowest risk region in the Q4 2020 update of the global risk index, owing to its strong macroeconomic fundamentals. When the coronavirus pandemic was at its peak, the European nations were able to control its spread and the risks associated with the pandemic through sufficient control measures enforced in a timely manner.
– The Americas is the second highest risk region, according to the GCRI Q4 2020 update, with a regional risk score of 47.6 out of 100. The whole region was battered by the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. Out of the top 15 worst affected countries, five are part of the Americas. The health crisis has led to a precipitous rise in poverty and social instability in the region, led by high unemployment.
– The Middle East and Africa (MEA) is the highest risk region according to the GCRI 2020 Q4 update, with a regional risk score of 51.4 out of 100, down compared to 55.6 in the GCRI 2020 Q2 update and up compared to 48.8 in the GCRI 2019 Q4 update. The region continues to be plagued by social conflict and geopolitical turmoil.
Reasons to Buy
– Global Risk Report is based on GlobalData Country Risk Index (GCRI) which is a unique country risk-rating model that determines the existing and future level of country risk by assessing various qualitative and quantitative factors. The index is formulated to help firms prepare their global business strategies on the basis of historical developments in an economy and also their future expectations.
– The Country Risk Index incorporates the latest available macroeconomics, political, social, technological, environmental and legal data from a range of recognized national and international statistical sources, and incorporates proprietary data from GlobalData Economics Research. The model also features expert analytical judgment from in-house economists and takes into account their insights and opinions. By applying a robust approach to assessing risk, GlobalData analysts ensure that strategists have an effective tool to assess current trends and risks facing the economies across the globe.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Global Overview – Key Highlights
Global Overview – Summary
Flashback -March 2020 to February 2021
Key Events -March 2021 to February 2022
GCRI – Country Ranking
GCRI Q4 2020 Heat Map
GCRI – Global Landscape 2021
COVID-19 -Major Risks and Recovery
Infection rates continue to rise albeit at a slower pace
Growth forecast for 2020 and 2021: Key Macroeconomic Indicators
Business and consumer sentiments trends
Oil prices rise amid slow US output recovery
Increasing deficit and debt levels in major economies with huge spending on stimulus
COVID-19 impact on the labor market
GlobalData’s economic recovery scorecard
Regional Analysis – Asia-Pacific
Regional Analysis – Europe
Regional Analysis – Americas
Regional Analysis -Middle East and Africa
Methodology and Sources
Frequently asked questions
Undecided about purchasing this report?Enquire Before Buying
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.