Hydrogen Aircraft – Thematic Intelligence
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Hydrogen Aircraft Market Analysis Overview
Hydrogen aircraft offer sustainable alternatives for air travel. Hydrogen has significant potential as it can be produced in a way that is carbon-free and when used as a fuel only produces water – making it appealing for states and companies attempting to reduce their climate impact. However, the development of the aircraft faces major challenges in terms of technology as well as infrastructure. Advancements need to be made to facilitate the use of hydrogen in commercial aircraft, and to improve its viability in terms of long distances. Additionally, significant investment in infrastructure is also required to facilitate the production and transportation of hydrogen in sufficient quantities.
The hydrogen aircraft thematic intelligence report provides the key trends impacting the growth of the hydrogen aircraft theme over the next 12 to 24 months. It also offers an analysis of M&A deals in this theme.
|· Technology Trends
· Macroeconomic Trends
· Regulatory Trends
· Patent Trends
· Air Liquide
· Air Products and Chemicals (APD)
· Alaka’i Technologies
· China Commercial Air Group
· GKN Aerospace
|Enquire & Decide
|Discover the perfect solution for your business needs. Enquire now and let us help you make an informed decision before making a purchase.
Hydrogen Aircraft - Key Trends
The main trends shaping the hydrogen aircraft theme over the next 12 to 24 months are classified into three categories: technology trends, macroeconomic trends, regulatory trends, and patent trends.
- Technology trends: The development of passenger aircraft for the commercial market, R&D on the blended wing body aircraft, developing electrolysis technology, the expansion of hydrogen infrastructure, improvement of hydrogen-powered fuel cells and synfuels, and focus on increased production of green hydrogen are some of the technology trends impacting the hydrogen aircraft theme.
- Macroeconomic trends: The key macroeconomic trends explained in the report are the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, increased costs associated with the use of hydrogen fuel, infrastructure, and fleet changes, environmental issues on carbon emissions by the aviation sector, government initiatives for alternative fuels, and rising globalization among others.
- Regulatory trends: Growing investment in clean energy, carbon regulations, hydrogen strategies by various governments, and focus on energy efficiency, reducing CO2 emissions by advancing the aircraft sector are part of the regulatory trends impacting the hydrogen aircraft theme.
- Patent Trends: The total number of patents rose significantly from 2015, peaking in 2021. However, the number has been declining since then, which could be either because there is about to be a switch of focus by corporations, having completed much design work, to now focus on implementation, or because the design phase has stalled. There are still plenty of design issues yet to be solved. The biggest of these is the storage issue, so there will be likely many more patents filed as issues like this begin to be solved.
Hydrogen Aircraft – Industry Analysis
Although it is estimated that there may be functioning commercial aircraft powered by hydrogen by 2030, it is unlikely that the technology will be widespread commercial before 2040. Even if hydrogen aircraft are utilized, they will initially be focused on short and medium-term flights, since the technology and cost restraints will facilitate flying short distances only.
The IATA forecasts that the number of global air passengers will double by 2037, and this will require a significant increase in aviation infrastructure. The IATA acknowledges that aviation is one of the hardest sectors to implement alternative fuels due to the power and safety requirements but suggests that the technology is developing in the right direction.
Furthermore, there is a political push for sectors to reduce their carbon emissions but, soon, the aviation sector’s share of global emissions is likely to increase. CO2 emissions per passenger have fallen over the last 30 years but the volume of flights has increased, meaning that overall emissions are up, and this trajectory is likely to increase as the pandemic abates. There will be increasing pressure and regulations to reduce emissions in line with national and international targets.
The hydrogen aircraft industry analysis also covers the following:
For More Insights into The Hydrogen Aircraft Industry Analysis, Download a Free Report Sample
Hydrogen Aircraft – Public Companies
In this section, GlobalData highlights public companies that are making their mark within the hydrogen aircraft theme.
- Air Liquide
- Air Products and Chemicals (APD)
Hydrogen Aircraft – Private Companies
In this section, GlobalData highlights private companies that are making their mark within the hydrogen aircraft theme.
- Alaka’i Technologies
- China Commercial Air Group
- GKN Aerospace
For More Insights on The Leading Players In The Hydrogen Aircraft Theme, Download a Free Report Sample
Defense Sector Scorecard
At GlobalData, we use a scorecard approach to predict tomorrow’s leading companies within each sector. Our sector scorecard has three screens: a thematic screen, a valuation screen, and a risk screen.
- The thematic screen ranks companies based on overall leadership in the 10 themes that matter most to their industry, generating a leading indicator of future performance.
- The valuation screen ranks our universe of companies within a sector based on selected valuation metrics.
- The risk screen ranks companies within a particular sector based on overall investment risk.
Defense Sector Scorecard– Thematic Screen
Buy Full Report to Know More About the Sector Scorecards
This report is a thematic analysis of the Hydrogen Aircraft market. It provides:
- Key themes in hydrogen development are established, both in terms of aerospace trends, technology trends, and macroeconomic trends.
- Details of the market trends over the next 24 months, outlining which sectors are likely to benefit from increased spending on hydrogen aircraft.
- Access to industry data on market trends, market segmentation, and key companies.
• Studies of emerging technological trends and their broader impact on the market.
• Analysis of the various hydrogen aircraft programs currently under development, as well historical research initiatives.
Reasons to Buy
- Determine potential investment opportunities based on trend analysis and market projections.
- Gain an understanding of the market surrounding the hydrogen aircraft theme.
- Understanding of how hydrogen aircraft spending will fit into the overall market and what spending areas are being prioritized.
China Commercial Air Group
Air Products and Chemicals
MTU Aero Engines
Table of Contents
- 1. Executive Summary
- 2. Players
- 3. Tehnology Briefing
- 4. Trends
- 4.1. Technology trends
- 4.2. Macroeconomic trends
- 4.3. Regulatory trends
- 4.4. Patent trends
- 5. Industry Analysis
- 5.1. Timeline
- 6. Companies
- 6.1. Public companies
- 6.2. Private companies
- 6.3. Merger and Acquisitions trends
- 7. Sector Scorecards
- 7.1. Aerospace, defense, and security sector scorecard
- 8. Glossary
- 9. Further Reading
- 10. Our Thematic Research Methodology
- 11. About GlobalData
- 12. Contact Us
Frequently asked questions
What are the key technology trends impacting the hydrogen aircraft theme?
The development of passenger aircraft for the commercial market, R&D on the blended wing body aircraft, developing electrolysis technology, the expansion of hydrogen infrastructure, improvement of hydrogen-powered fuel cells and synfuels, and focus on increased production of green hydrogen are some of the technology trends impacting the hydrogen aircraft theme.
What are the key macroeconomic trends impacting the hydrogen aircraft theme?
The key macroeconomic trends explained in the report are the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, increased costs associated with the use of fuel, infrastructure and fleet changes, environmental issues on carbon emissions by the aviation sector, government initiatives into alternative fuels, and rising globalization among others.
What are the key regulatory trends impacting the hydrogen aircraft theme?
Growing investment in clean energy, carbon regulations, hydrogen strategies by various governments, and focus on energy efficiency, reducing CO2 emissions by advancing aircraft are part of the regulatory trends impacting the hydrogen aircraft theme.
What the number of patents published since 2021 has decreased?
The number of patents published since 2021 has decreased either because there is about to be a switch of focus by corporations, having completed much design work, to now focus on implementation, or because the design phase has stalled.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.