IT in Retail – Technology Priorities
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Retailers will aim to address the following key challenges through IT in 2017: supply chain management efficiencies, offering a superior customer experience across channels, and gaining better insight from existing as well as new data sources. The share of outsourced IT services is growing among retailers, however business-critical functions tend to remain in-house. The right level of outsourcing needs to be individually assessed and balanced with in-house resources and skills
This report presents the findings from a survey of 152 retailers regarding their Information & Communications Technology (ICT) investment trends. The survey investigates how retailers currently allocate their ICT budgets across the core areas of enterprise ICT expenditure: hardware, software, IT services, communications, and consulting
The report illustrates the core technologies that retailers are investing in, including enterprise applications, business intelligence, internet of things (IoT), and green IT & virtualization. The survey also highlights the approach to purchasing technology adopted by retailers. The report aims to provide a better insight to ICT vendors and service providers when pitching their solutions to retailers
The survey was conducted in H1 2016 via an online methodology, with respondents all having ICT decision maker responsibility (typically CIOs and IT Managers).
In particular, it provides an in-depth analysis of the following:
– How ICT budgets are set to change in 2016 in terms of their overall size
– Allocation across the core elements of IT spend, including hardware, software, services, communications, and consulting
– Which ICT functions retailers are interested in outsourcing
– Retailers’ investment priorities based on their budget allocations across core technology categories such as enterprise applications, business intelligence, green IT & virtualization, and internet of things(IoT)
– Factors that are influencing retailers’ investments in each technology category
– How retailers’ IT budgets are currently allocated across various segments within a technology category
– Retailers’ distribution of their ICT budget across various segments within a technology category
– Vendor satisfaction ratings for various core and advanced technology categories
– Insight into retailers’ preferred buying approaches
– Business and IT objectives that retailers’ are looking to achieve through their IT investment strategies
– Factors that are influencing retailers’ decisions to select an ICT provider
Reasons to Buy
– Understand how the retail sector’s ICT landscape is set to change in 2016 to prioritize your target market
– Comprehend how money are being allocated by retailers in specific geographies and size bands to improve your market penetration
– Make effective business decisions by recognizing the opportunities within each of the core areas of ICT spend (hardware, software, IT services, telecommunications, and consulting)
– Realign your sales initiatives by understanding the current strategic objectives of retailers
– Enhance your market segmentation with the included, detailed breakdown of opportunities within selected technology categories (enterprise applications, business intelligence, green IT & virtualization, and internet of things(IoT))
– Prioritize your focus areas by understanding which factors are influencing retailers’ decisions when selecting an ICT provider
– Understand the changes in customers’ priorities and identify the business and IT objectives that retailers are looking to achieve through their ICT investment strategies
Table of Contents
1 Trends in ICT budgets
1.2 Survey demographics
1.3 Outsourced IT functions
2 ICT investment priorities and vendor satisfaction
2.1.1 Enterprise applications
2.1.2 Business Intelligence
2.1.3 Green IT & virtualization
2.1.4 Internet of Things (IoT)
3 ICT procurement trends
3.2 Business objectives influencing IT investment strategy
3.3 Key decision maker for purchasing technology
3.4 ICT provider selection
4 Sector-specific trends
4.2 Technology areas receiving the largest investments
4.3 IT expenditure plans for specific technology areas
4.4 Upgrades in technology areas
6.2 Further reading
6.3 Contact the authors
Frequently asked questions
Undecided about purchasing this report?Enquire Before Buying
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.