Business of Major League Soccer (MLS) 2023 – Property Profile, Sponsorship and Media Landscape
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Business of Major League Soccer 2023 Analysis Report Overview
The MLS has agreed a global broadcast deal with Apple having a reported worth of $250 million per year. 31 brands have partnered with the MLS for the 2023 season. The MLS Cup marks the pinnacle of the Major League Soccer season and serves as the final game of the MLS Cup Playoffs.
Business of Major League Soccer (MLS) 2023 market research report a complete overview of the major business operations of the 2023 Major League Soccer competition. Through an intricate breakdown of the league’s sponsorship and media landscapes, the report elucidates the MLS’s position in the North American sports market.
|Adidas, Apple, Procter & Gamble, Coca-Cola, Audi, Heineken, and AT & T, among others
Sponsorship Landscape of the MLS
The key sponsors in the Major League Soccer (MLS) are Adidas, Apple, Procter & Gamble, Coca-Cola, Audi, Heineken, and AT & T, among others. Financially, the league’s oldest partnership with Adidas is the most lucrative. Another significant agreement is a new partnership with Apple.
The Major League Soccer (MLS), Sponsors
For more insights on the key sponsors, download a free report sample
Business of Major League Soccer (MLS), Patch Sponsorship
Front of shirt deals are a major advertising option for MLS teams because the patch sponsorship market is one of the most significant and valuable pieces of inventory at any soccer club. These rights enable phenomenal branding opportunities on the playing kit, which has a large global reach. Brands are willing to pay exorbitant fees for these rights, particularly for some of the MLS’s most valuable teams, because they will have their brand prominently displayed on match days, increasing brand exposure and awareness amongst the diverse fan base.
The two largest shirt sponsorship deals are with MLS franchises in Los Angeles and New York, two of America’s largest sports markets. The Los Angeles Galaxy have the league’s largest shirt sponsorship agreement.
For more insights on the patch sponsorship of the MLS, download a free report sample
Major Kit Supplier of the MLS
Adidas has served as MLS’s exclusive kit supplier since 2005, which means the brand supplies kits to every MLS team. Before the conclusion of current partnership, Adidas has further extended the partnership for another six years until 2030, with a significant increase in annual sponsorship revenue. Adidas continues to be the official sponsor, footwear provider, and apparel provider of Major League Soccer (MLS), as well as the presenting partner of the MLS NEXT Golden Ball (MVP) and MLS NEXT Best XI. As the United States, Canada, and Mexico prepare to host the 2026 World Cup, MLS and adidas will collaborate to launch new, inclusive initiatives to empower, support, and inspire a future generation of players and fans to ensure a legacy beyond the World Cup, create momentum for the sport of soccer, and elevate MLS popularity to new heights.
For more insights on the major kit supplier in the MLS, download a free report sample
This report provides an overview and analysis of the Major League Soccer (MLS) competition for the year 2023. The report aims to provide valuable insights for executives, professionals, and sports enthusiasts.
The report covers the following areas –
- It provides an overview of the league’s format, changes in 2023, and significance in the North American sports market.
- The report analyses the 29 active MLS teams, including their social media presence, sponsorship revenue, stadium rights holders, attendance, and potential ticket revenue.
- Detailed coverage of MLS league operations, including social media, lucrative partners, media agreements, ticketing revenue, and sponsorship growth from 2022 to 2023.
- An overview of the designated player rule and current designated players list for each MLS club.
- Coverage of major developments in the MLS during the 2023 season, such as the new media rights agreement with Apple and the rise of MLS Cup viewership in the United States.
- A look at MLS’s kit supplier agreements since 2005.
- Detailed insights into highly valued patch sponsorship deals across the 29 clubs. 8. In-depth analysis of major brands and prominent sectors involved with the league.
MLS sponsorship for 2023 season is estimated to be worth $812.7 million with 1179 active sponsorship agreements, according to the GlobalData Sport Intelligence Centre, with data being taken from GlobalData Sport’s database as of 7th April 2023.
Starting 2023 season, Apple and MLS agreed a global media rights agreement worth $2.5 billion for ten years until 2032, covering global streaming rights to all MLS and Leagues Cup matches and selected MLS Next and MLS Next Pro matches.
There are 963 brands from 28 diverse sectors currently engaged in sport sponsorship agreements with MLS and its associated clubs.
There are 1148 active sponsorship deals between the league’s 29 clubs and their partners, with an estimate sponsorship value of $502.3 million per year, whereas MLS 31 deals are estimated to be worth $310.44 million for 2023 season, with an average annual deal value of $10 million.
The Restaurant sector rank as the most active sponsoring sector with 204 deals (17%) across the league and BodyArmor stands as the most active brand, with 19 deals.
MLS team, Atlanta United’s sponsorship revenue remains the greatest for the 2023 season, attracting nearly $88.2 million from different sectors brands, while New York City FC boasts the highest number of deals in its portfolio for the 2023 season.
Reasons to Buy
- This report offers a comprehensive and in-depth analysis of the media and sponsorship agreements that underpin the 2023 MLS season. The report covers a wide range of aspects, including the league’s social media presence, media partnerships, and sponsorship revenue.
- Accompanying the GlobalData database, the report provides a extensive analysis of the revenue generated by each individual MLS club in terms of their sponsorships. Moreover, the report takes a closer look at the league’s media partners, the social media footprint of both the league and its constituent teams, and the ticketing revenue generated by each club. Additionally, the report provides an insightful analysis of the patch and stadium partnerships that the clubs are associated with, as well as the most prominent sectors and brands MLS is connected with.
- With a range of charts and tables, this report is designed for executives and professionals, boasting presentation quality.
Table of Contents
- 1. Report Overview
- 1.1. Executive Summary
- 2. MLS Overview
- 2.1. MLS 2023
- 2.2. Designated Player Rule
- 2.3. MLS Potential Ticket Revenue
- 2.4. MLS Cup Titles
- 3. Social Media
- 3.1. Social Media – League Breakdown
- 3.2. Social Media- Teams Breakdown
- 3.3. Social Media Following – Soccer Leagues Comparison
- 3.4. MLS Combined Attendance Per Club-2022
- 4. Media Landscape
- 4.1. MLS Cup Average US TV Viewership
- 4.2. MLS Media Landscape 2023
- 5. League Sponsorship
- 5.1. MLS 2023 Sponsorship Landscape
- 5.2. MLS 2023 Sponsorship- Deal Values(US$ million)
- 5.3. MLS 2023 Sponsorship- Region and Sector Breakdown
- 5.4. MLS Sponsorship Comparison- 2022 and 2023
- 6. Kit Suppliers
- 6.1. Kit Supplier- Deal Values (US$ millions)
- 7. Patch Sponsorship
- 7.1. MLS 2023 Front-Of-Shirt Sponsors
- 7.2. Front-Of-Shirt Sponsorship – Deal Values (US$ millions)
- 7.3. Front-Of-Shirt Sponsorship Rights by Sector
- 7.4. Front-Of-Shirt Sponsors – Contract & Partnership Lengths
- 7.5. MLS 2023 Sleeve Sponsors
- 7.6. Sleeve Sponsorship – Deal Values (US$ millions)
- 7.7. Sleeve Sponsorship Rights by Sector
- 7.8. MLS 2023 Stadium Naming Rights Sponsors
- 7.9. Stadium Naming Rights Sponsorship – Deal Values (US$ millions)
- 7.10. Stadium Naming Rights Sponsorship Rights by Sector
- 8. Sponsorship Analysis
- 8.1. MLS Sponsorship Landscape
- 8.2. Brand Breakdown
- 8.3. Sector Breakdown
- 9. MLS Teams
- 9.1. Sponsorship Revenue – Team Comparison 2022 & 2023
- 9.2. Sponsorship Deals – Team Comparison 2022 & 2023
- 9.3. Eastern and Western Division Teams Analysis
- 10. Appendix
Soccer League Social Media
Soccer Players Social Media
COVID-19 Breakdown by State
Ticket Sales Losses
League Sponsorship Value & Breakdown
Team FOS Sponsors
Team Sleeve Sponsors
Team Stadium Sponsors
Team Social Meida Graph
American Sports League Graph
COVID-19 Figures for USA & Canada
Individual Team Social Media Charts
Frequently asked questions
Who are the key sponsors in the MLS 2023?
The key sponsors in the MLS 2023 are Adidas, Apple, Procter & Gamble, Coca-Cola, Audi, Heineken, and AT & T, among others.
Who is the major key kit supplier of the MLS?
Adidas is the major key kit supplier of the MLS.
Which is the major advertising option in the MLS 2023?
Front of shirt deals are a major advertising option for MLS teams because the patch sponsorship market is one of the most significant and valuable pieces of inventory at any soccer club.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.