Payments Landscape in Luxembourg: Opportunities and Risks to 2022
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
GlobalData’s "Payments Landscape in Luxembourg: Opportunities and Risks to 2022", report provides detailed analysis of market trends in Luxembourg's cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including cash, cards, credit transfers, direct debit, and cheques during the review-period (2014-18e).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review-period and over the forecast-period (2018e-22f). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalData’s research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers detailed regulatory policies and recent changes in regulatory structure.
The report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into Luxembourg's cards and payments industry, including –
– Current and forecast values for each market in Luxembourg's cards and payments industry, including debit and credit cards.
– Detailed insights into payment instruments including cash, cards, credit transfers, direct debit, and cheques. It also, includes an overview of the country's key alternative payment instruments.
– E-commerce market analysis.
– Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing Luxembourg's cards and payments industry.
– Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit and credit cards.
– Banks are increasingly focusing on providing innovative services to improve the customer experience. In 2017, Banque et Caisse d’Epargne de l’Etat (BCEE) introduced the concept of movable bank branches. This enables customers to perform banking transactions such as deposits and ATM cash withdrawals. Banks are also focusing on enhancing their digital product portfolio. In April 2018, Banque Internationale à Luxembourg (BIL) enabled its users to open bank accounts digitally using the BILnet app, and to verify themselves by showing proof of identity via video chat.
– The emergence of contactless technology will further boost card-based payments in Luxembourg. Contactless payments were first introduced in Luxembourg by Visa in February 2016 with the launch of Visa payWave. All of the major banks now offer contactless cards. Meanwhile, banks and payment companies are focusing on increasing the acceptance of these cards by encouraging merchants to adopt contactless point of sale (POS) terminals. According to Visa Europe there are 7,000 contactless POS terminals in Luxembourg that accept contactless cards, which accounts for over half of total POS terminals in the country.
– To promote e-commerce among the country’s merchants, in September 2018 the Ministry of the Economy launched national e-commerce marketplace LetzShop, enabling Luxembourg’s merchants to sell their goods online. To drive adoption, the marketplace charges no commission on transactions – just a flat annual fee of €500 ($572.77). During its launch the website featured around 100 shops with over 350,000 items for sale. Increasing e-commerce activity is expected to further drive electronic payments.
Reasons to Buy
– Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to Luxembourg's cards and payments industry and each market within it.
– Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in Luxembourg's cards and payments industry.
– Assess the competitive dynamics in Luxembourg's cards and payments industry.
– Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Luxembourg.
– Gain insights into key regulations governing Luxembourg's cards and payments industry.
Banque et Caisse d’Epargne de l’Etat
Banque Internationale à Luxembourg
Banque de Luxembourg
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Payments Infrastructure & Regulation
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.