Payments Snapshot in Ireland – Coronavirus (COVID-19) Sector Impact
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
The Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) outbreak, dubbed COVID-19, is first and foremost a human tragedy, affecting millions of people globally. The contagious Coronavirus, which broke out at the close of 2019, has led to a medical emergency across the world, with the World Health Organization officially declaring the novel Coronavirus a pandemic on March 11, 2020.
Government measures to contain the virus have caused a significant negative impact on the country’s economy. However, with a phased reopening in progress, consumer spending is expected to rebound in the second half of this year, albeit not to pre-COVID-19 levels. The gradual revival of the economy will benefit the payments industry.
In response to the resulting economic fallout, the government announced a €3.1bn ($3.5bn) stimulus package on March 10, 2020 to be spent on social protection, health services, and liquidity funding for businesses. Two weeks later, the government announced the new COVID-19 Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme, under which the government offered up to 85% for wage costs to businesses for 12 weeks.
This report focuses on the impact of the Coronavirus outbreak on both the economyand the cards and payments industry in Ireland. Based on our proprietary datasets, the snapshotprovides a detailed comparison between pre-COVID-19 forecasts andrevised forecasts of total payment card, debit card, and credit card transactions by value and volume. It also offers information on measures taken by the government to combat Coronavirus.
– Coronavirus will have a significant effect on consumer spending. Loss of income and increased unemployment due to the lockdown will have long-term implications affecting several sectors. According to the central bank, sectors such as distribution, transport, hotels, and restaurants will be the worst hit. The steep dive in consumer spending will also impact the payments industry. As per our 2019 Banking and Payments Survey, travel and accommodation accounted for 36% of the country’s total credit card transaction value in 2019. However, the country is gradually relaxing lockdown restrictions, which will boost consumer spending and thus benefit the payments industry.
– With SMEs and large companies facing uncertainty and business travel coming to a temporary halt, a higher decline could be observed initially in commercial card transactions compared to personal cards. The number of business credit card transactions decreased by 58.0% in the first week of April 2020 compared to the same period of March 2020, whereas personal credit card transactions decreased by 34.3%. However, with many businesses having resumed their operations, the number of business credit card transactions increased by 34.6% in the first week of June 2020 compared to the same period of April 2020.
– Ireland has a highly developed contactless payment market. As a result of the current scenario, the use of contactless cards for payments is expected to become even more popular in the country. According to Banking & Payments Federation Ireland, on average €19.3m ($21.7m) worth of contactless payments were made per day during May 2020, a 7% increase from February 2020. The average contactless payment reached €15.30 ($17.18) in May 2020, up from €11.92 ($13.38) in February 2020. This was supported by the increased contactless payment limit, which now stands at €50 ($56.14) – up from €30 ($33.68) effective from April 1, 2020.
Reasons to Buy
– Make strategic decisions using top-level revised forecast data on the Irish payment industry.
– Understand the key market trends, challenges, and opportunities in the Irish cards and payments industry.
– Receive a comprehensive insight into payments market in Ireland.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Total Payment Card Market vs. Pre-COVID-19 Forecasts
Debit Card Payment Market vs. Pre-COVID-19 Forecasts
Credit and Charge Card Payment Market vs. Pre-COVID-19 Forecasts
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.