Puerto Rico: Amid Challenging Economic Conditions, M&A Activity Increases and Competition Intensifies
Puerto Rico is one of the most developed telecom markets in Latin America, with service penetration rates above the regional average and technology adoption trends highly influenced by the mainland US market. With a challenging economic context ahead, we expect the Puerto Rican telecom market will experience very moderate growth throughout the forecast period, mainly driven by the mobile and fixed data segments. We project that from 2015 to 2020, telecom and pay-TV service revenue will increase at a 1.7% CAGR, from $2.3bn in 2015 to $2.5bn in 2020.
• The Puerto Rican telecom market generated an estimated $2.3bn in telecom and pay-TV service revenue in 2015, 0.7% up on the previous year as a result of the island’s difficult economic environment. With a challenging economic context ahead, we expect the telecom market to experience very moderate growth though the forecast period, expanding at a 1.7% CAGR between 2015 and 2020, mainly driven by the mobile and fixed data segments.
• Competition in the Puerto Rican telecom and pay-TV market has intensified over the past five years, resulting in a wave of mergers and acquisitions that has significantly reduced the number of players in the fixed and pay-TV segments.
• Claro is currently the largest telecom player on the island, responsible for nearly 34% of the total revenue in the market in 2015. The Pan-America operator currently offers mobile and fixed communications services as well as pay-TV services.
• Puerto Rico closed 2015 with an estimated 3.2m active mobile subscribers and a penetration rate of 92.2%, below the Latin American average (115.3%). As we move forward, we project that Puerto Rico’s mobile subscriber base will continue expanding during the 2015-2020 period at a 0.8% CAGR.
• Puerto Rico closed 2015 with a voice-line penetration of the population of 24.4%. Fixed broadband penetration of the population stood at 17.8% at the end of 2015, one of the highest in the region.
• Puerto Rico reached 694,400 pay-TV accounts and a household penetration rate of 56.5% at the end of 2015, above the Latin American average (42.1%). Liberty Global is currently Puerto Rico’s largest pay-TV service provider, followed by DTH/satellite operators DIRECTV, now part of AT&T, and Dish Puerto Rico, with estimated shares of 32.1% and 28.3%, respectively.
Reasons to Buy
Facilitates service providers, mobile operators, tower operators, equipment manufacturers/vendors, investment banks, management consulting companies, industry associations, and regulators, to gain a context of the Puerto Rican telecom services market, to align business strategies.
Understand Puerto Rico’s telecommunications regulatory framework, and how it will evolve over the next 18-24 months.
Assess Puerto Rico’s fixed telephony (including VoIP), broadband, mobile voice and data, and pay-TV market size.
Investigate current and forecast trends in Puerto Rico’s fixed telephony (including VoIP), broadband, mobile voice and data, and pay-TV markets.
Gain insight on Puerto Rico’s telecom and pay-TV market competitive landscape, examining key trends in competition and service providers’ performance, revenue market shares and expected moves over the next five years.
Identify and assess the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in Puerto Rico’s telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
Liberty Puerto Rico
Sprint Puerto Rico
AT&T Puerto Rico
T-Mobile Puerto Rico
Open Mobile Puerto Rico
Dish Puerto Rico
Table of Contents
Market and competitor overview
Economic, demographic and political context
Major market players
Overall market opportunities
List of Tables
List of Figures
Get in touch to find out about our multi-purchase discounts
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Every customer’s requirement is unique. We understand that and can customize the report basis your exact research requirements pertaining to market insights, innovation insights, strategy and planning, and competitive intelligence. You can also avail the option of purchasing stand-alone sections of the report or request for a country specific report.
Still undecided about purchasing this report?
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.