Tech Regulation – Thematic Intelligence
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Explore essential trends and insights from the following data in our ‘Tech Regulation’ thematic report:
- The report looks at the impact of 12 regulatory arenas on tech companies: data security, data privacy, antitrust, tax avoidance, misinformation, online harm, AI ethics, copyright, net neutrality, US-China tech sanctions, ESG, and obstruction of justice.
- The report focuses on data privacy, antitrust, AI ethics, and online harm, which will be the main targets of regulators’ investigations in the near term, as these are the most critical areas to ensure a safe and efficient digital economy.
- It provides a scorecard, ranking Big Tech companies based on their level of exposure to 10 critical areas, weighted by importance.
- It gives guidance on who is facing the biggest risk at a time of increasing uncertainty and complexity.
How is our ‘Tech Regulation’ thematic report different from other reports in the market?
- This report provides an invaluable overview and description of ‘How the tech sector will be regulated?’ and covers 12 regulatory arenas including data privacy, antitrust, online harm, misinformation, and AI ethics.
- The report offers in-depth insights into the main trends (technology, macroeconomic, and regulatory trends) shaping the tech regulation theme over the next 12 to 24 months.
- Every client uses some form of technology today – Our report authors will help every reader understand how tech regulation will impact their business.
- Our report provides insights on how regulation of data privacy, AI, and misinformation will impact businesses which will guide in making strategies to overcome challenges.
- This report will help expand your contact base in the C-suite and reach senior decision-makers who will also be interested in the themes more broadly.
We recommend this valuable source of information to anyone involved in:
- IT Departments
- Digital Transformation Departments
- ESG and Sustainability Departments
- Technology Leaders and Start-ups
- Strategy Departments/Business Development and Market Intelligence
- Investment Analysts and Portfolio Managers
- Professional Services – Investment Banks, PE/VC firms
- M&A/Investment, Management Consultants, and Consulting Firms
To Get a Snapshot of the Tech Regulation Thematic Report, Download a Free Report Sample
Tech Regulation Thematic Report Overview
Digital transformation can help enterprises and consumers tackle some of the challenges such as pandemics, geopolitical conflicts, and the climate emergency. However, the pace of innovation in areas like artificial intelligence (AI), blockchain, and digital health creates unprecedented risks to society.
As digitalization accelerates, regulatory activity will increase, and scrutiny of the tech industry will intensify. Making regulation fit for the digital economy without hampering innovation is an arduous task that regulators must grasp.
In the coming years, regulators will likely crack down on some of the big online platforms, such as Amazon, Google, Meta, X (Twitter), Alibaba, and Tencent in key regulatory arenas. It is expected that data privacy, antitrust, AI, and online harm will be the four main target areas of regulators’ investigations.
Tech Regulation – 12 Regulatory Arenas
Buy Full Report for More Insights into Regulatory Arenas in Tech Regulation
The tech regulation thematic intelligence report provides an overview of the current landscape, including technology, macroeconomic, and regulatory trends, as well as key players. The report provides an industry-specific analysis based on GlobalData databases and surveys.
|Key Trends||· Technology Trends
· Macroeconomic Trends
· Regulatory Trends
|Leading Companies||· Alibaba
· Alphabet (parent company of Google)
|Enquire & Decide||Discover the perfect solution for your business needs. Enquire now and let us help you make an informed decision before making a purchase.|
Tech Regulation– Key Trends
The main trends shaping the tech regulation theme over the next 12 to 24 months are technology, macroeconomic, and regulatory trends.
- Regulatory trends: Some of the key regulatory trends impacting the tech regulation theme are concerns and regulations over data security, data privacy, and tax avoidance by companies among others. For instance, the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) introduced in May 2018, imposes rules against companies not taking sufficient action to protect data from hackers.
- Macroeconomic trends: Some of the macroeconomic trends impacting the theme are the EU-US data privacy framework, splinternet or fragmentation of the internet into competing technospheres, and clamping down of technology companies by China among others.
- Technology trends: The rising cloud market, focus on metaverse, and crypto regulation are some of the key technology trends impacting the tech regulation theme.
Tech Regulation – Signals
GlobalData uses the 145 million signals generated by our thematic engine to predict how important the regulation theme is within the tech sector, how tech regulation will develop, and who the winners and losers will be. Our signals include company filing trends, news trends, and social media trends.
Company filing trends: GlobalData’s Company Filing Analytics uncovers underlying trends hidden in vast amounts of financial and non-financial data available in company filings and transcripts. Regulation is the theme with the most mentions in tech companies’ filings, with over 68,000 relevant mentions tagged to this theme between January 2018 and July 2023.
The Tech regulation signals analysis also covers:
- News Trends
- Social Media Trends
Buy the Full Report for More Insights into the Signals in Tech Regulation
Tech Regulation – Competitive Analysis
Some of the leading companies making their mark within the tech regulation theme are:
- Alphabet (parent company of Google)
Buy the Full Report to Learn More About the Leading Tech Companies
Social Media Sector Scorecard
At GlobalData, we use a scorecard approach to predict tomorrow’s leading companies within each sector. Our sector scorecard has three screens: a thematic screen, a valuation screen, and a risk screen.
- The thematic screen ranks companies based on overall leadership in the 10 themes that matter most to their industry, generating a leading indicator of future performance.
- The valuation screen ranks our universe of companies within a sector based on selected valuation metrics.
- The risk screen ranks companies within a particular sector based on overall investment risk.
Social Media Sector Scorecard – Thematic Screen
Buy Full Report to Know More About the Sector Scorecards
The Tech regulation sector scorecard also covers:
- Advertising sector scorecard
- Regulators will come after tech companies in 12 regulatory arenas: data security, data privacy, antitrust, tax avoidance, misinformation, online harm, AI ethics, copyright, net neutrality, US-China tech sanctions, ESG, and obstruction of justice.
- Data privacy, antitrust, AI, and online harm will be the main targets of regulators’ investigations in the near term, as these are the most critical areas to ensure a safe and efficient digital economy. Brussels is taking the lead in promoting new regulation—including on AI—with a string of new laws targeting Big Tech’s business model. In Washington, despite President Biden’s resolve to step up tech regulation, a divided Congress makes a change in the legal landscape unlikely. For its part, the Chinese government must strike a delicate balance: maintaining regulatory oversight of the tech sector while innovating fast in the technologies most under pressure from the US.
Reasons to Buy
As the digital landscape continues to evolve, the importance of regulating tech has become apparent to governments globally. Following the establishment of the GDPR by the EU, many countries have followed suit, creating similar legislative frameworks to regulate the handling of data online. In addition to data protection, governments have been developing laws to govern antitrust, misinformation, and online harm.
This report provides an invaluable overview of this important and highly disruptive theme.
X (formerly Twitter)
Table of Contents
- 1. Executive Summary
- 2. Players
- 3. Thematic Briefing
- 3.1. Four regulatory arenas will receive the greatest scrutiny
- 3.2. Data privacy
- 3.3. Antitrust
- 3.4. Online harm and misinformation
- 3.5. AI ethics
- 4. Trends
- 4.1. Regulatory trends
- 4.2. Technology trends
- 4.3. Macroeconomic trends
- 5. Regulatory Acts by Country
- 5.1. Regulatory timeline
- 6. Signals
- 6.1. Company filings trends
- 6.2. News trends
- 6.3. Social media trends
- 7. Companies
- 8. Sector Scorecards
- 8.1. Social media sector scorecard
- 8.2. Advertising sector scorecard
- 9. Glossary
- 10. Further Reading
- 11. Our Thematic Research Methodology
- 12. About GlobalData
- 13. Contact Us
Frequently asked questions
What are the key regulatory trends impacting the tech regulation theme?
Some of the key regulatory trends impacting the tech regulation theme are concerns and regulations over data security, data privacy, and tax avoidance by companies among others.
What are the key macroeconomic trends impacting the tech regulation theme?
Some of the macroeconomic trends impacting the theme are the EU-US data privacy framework, splinternet or fragmentation of the internet into competing technospheres, and clamping down of technology companies by China among others.
What are the key technology trends impacting the tech regulation theme?
The rising cloud market, focus on metaverse, and crypto regulation are some of the key technology trends impacting the tech regulation theme.
Who are the leading companies in the tech regulation industry?
Some of the leading companies in the tech regulation industry are Alibaba, Alphabet (parent company of Google), Amazon, and Apple among others.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.