"Telcos in Retail – Beyond Network Connectivity", report evaluates major telcos’ positioning in retail, including various areas from network and communication technology to smart store concepts, IT security and analytics. A scoring for major telcos compares their retail-specific capabilities and positioning. The report also provides advice for IT vendors as well as the telcos.
Telcos tend to be the leading network and communications services providers to retailers, but are increasingly under pressure to innovate and go beyond their core business. They look to diversify by launching retail-specific solutions and holistic store concepts that include IoT, analytics and security solutions.
– Telcos need to offer holistic solutions with a clear and innovative vision which differentiates from existing concepts by competing vendors without being too prescriptive on the technology.
– They need to showcase retail-specific case studies. Many telcos struggle to gain a foothold with retailers beyond their existing business areas because they cannot prove their credibility with high-profile retail customer cases.
– Telcos should learn from their partners before starting to compete with them.
– Innovative retail solutions providers are likely to be partners in some areas; and telcos need to ensure that they understand retailers’ challenges in detail before risking a clash with these providers and systems integrators.
Reasons to Buy
– Gain a deeper insight into telcos' retail strategies and their positioning in retail-specific areas that go beyond network and communications services.
– Understand how telcos can compete for leadership in digital retail through concepts that include IoT, analytics, security solutions.
– Retailers' challenges and vendor choices are discussed, and useful advice provided for telcos and other IT vendors regarding targeting retailers and competitively positioning their offerings.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
1 Introduction 3
2 Retailers’ Digital Transformation is Accelerating 4
2.1 Retail IT spending shifts to digital technologies 4
2.2 Retailers seek the connectivity of everything 6
2.3 Retailers are looking for holistic technology approaches 8
3 Telcos Face a Range of Challenges 9
3.1 Diminishing profit in connectivity 9
3.2 Lack in adaptability to new dynamic market conditions 10
3.3 Retailers tend to prefer systems integrators 10
3.4 Strong competition for scarce talent 12
4 Telcos Need to Leverage their Advantages 13
4.1 Network Connectivity 13
4.2 Security 14
4.3 Cloud Services 15
4.4 Technology Partnerships 16
5 Telcos’ Retail Solutions 17
5.1 BT (Score
5.2 Telefonica (Score 3/4) 20
5.3 AT&T (Score
5.4 Verizon (Score 2/4) 21
5.5 Deutsche Telekom (Score
5.6 Vodafone (Score
5.7 Telstra (Score
5.8 Sprint (Score 2/4) 23
5.9 Swisscom (Score 2/4) 23
5.10 SK Telecom (Score
5.11 Other Telcos 24
6 Retail Use Cases 25
7 Enterprise Communications Market 26
8 Key Findings 28
9 Advice for Telcos 29
10 Appendix 30
10.1 Further reading 30
10.2 Contact the authors 30
10.3 Contact Us 31
List of Tables
List of Tables
Table 1: Global retail spending on digital technologies and telecommunication ($ millions) 5
Table 2: Comparison of telcos’ overall retail expertise rating 17
Table 3: Global retail spending on enterprise communications services 1 ($ millions) 26
Table 4: Global retail spending on enterprise communications services 2 ($ millions) 27
List of Figures
List of Figures
Figure 1: Global retail spending growth and market size ($ billions) – digital technologies and telecommunication 4
Figure 2: Retailers’ ICT budget changes last year vs. this year 6
Figure 3: ICT budget spending by vendor category 11
Figure 4: Cloud computing solutions currently in use and planned for the next 2 years 16
Figure 5: Telcos’ retail expertise rating by technology, positioning, offering and use cases 18
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Every customer’s requirement is unique. We understand that and can customize the report basis your exact research requirements pertaining to market insights, innovation insights, strategy and planning, and competitive intelligence. You can also avail the option of purchasing stand-alone sections of the report or request for a country specific report.
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.