The Emergence of Alternative Capital in Reinsurance
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
GlobalData’s 'Insight Report: The Emergence of Alternative Capital in Reinsurance' analyzes the development of alternative capital in the reinsurance industry, and also discusses the major types of alternative instrument. The emergence of alternative capital in reinsurance has led the industry to change structurally. The abundant flow of capital, along with growing development and innovation in the insurance-linked securities (ILS) space, is transforming the reinsurance industry. Alternative capital has emerged as a disruptive force, and has the potential to transform the market, or create a new one.
The majority of transactions related to alternative instruments are largely executed in the property catastrophe market in the US. The alternative capital market is predominately absent in other segments and sub-segments in the insurance industry.
The report also discusses the growing prominence of alternative instruments as an asset class. Alternative instruments have brought recognition to reinsurance as an investment strategy. Low correlation, low volatility and diversification are motivating investors to invest in alternative instruments. Investments in ILS are least correlated with the cyclic nature of the economy and the boom-bust cycle of capital markets. The state of the economy and behavior of financial markets cannot influence loss events in an insurance contract. Alternative instruments are less volatile than traditional asset classes, as the performance of the underlying asset – in this case the insurance risk – is not linked to the behavior of the capital market.
• This report analyzes the significance of alternative capital as a risk-transfer strategy.
• It analyzes the impact of alternative capital on the traditional reinsurance industry.
• It discusses innovation in the alternative capital industry with respect to product development to suit the requirements of investors and ceding reinsurers.
• It discusses the popularity of catastrophe bonds and the growing dominance of collateralized reinsurance as alternative instruments.
• Traditional reinsurers are increasingly incorporating alternative capital strategies into their business models. Reinsurers are playing an active role in managing new capital and facilitating transactions in the alternative market on behalf of investors. Simultaneously, several reinsurers have collaborated with independent fund managers to execute transactions using alternative instruments such as catastrophe (cat) bonds, sidecars, industry-loss warranties and collateralized reinsurance.
• The cat bond market is heavily skewed towards risk associated with US perils. The majority of capacity in the cat bond market is utilized by risks associated with natural disasters, such as storms, floods, hurricanes and earthquakes. US multi-peril, US-named storms and hurricanes, and US earthquakes together accounted for 53.4% of cat bonds outstanding as of November 2016 according to Artemis, which provides business information dedicated to alternative risk transfer.
• Collateralized reinsurance overtook cat bonds as the dominant source of capital in 2013, in terms of providing overall capacity to the alternative market. This trend has continued, and the capacity of collateralized reinsurance expanded at a higher growth rate than cat bonds during 2013–2015. It accounted for 56.8% of the total capacity in the alternative market in 2015.
• Alternative instruments have brought recognition to reinsurance as an investment strategy, with low correlation, low volatility and diversification motivating investors to invest in alternative instruments. These characteristics strongly differentiate alternative instruments from other asset classes. As a component of a broader portfolio, alternative instruments have the potential to neutralize the limitations of traditional investments.
Reasons to Buy
• Build an understanding of the securitization of insurance risk, and recognition of insurance-linked securities (ILS) as an asset class.
• Develop an insight into how alternative capital has emerged as a disruptive force, the outlook for the global reinsurance industry.
• Gain an understanding of the leading jurisdictions catering to the ILS market.
• Develop an understanding of the different types of insurance risk targeted by alternative capital investors.
Florida-based Citizen Property Insurance
Clear Blue Financial Holdings LLC
Spinnaker Insurance Company
Table of Contents
1 Executive Summary
2 Dynamics of the Alternative Capital Industry
3 Catastrophe Bonds
4 Industry Loss Warranty
5 Reinsurance Sidecars
6 Collateralized Reinsurance
7 Alternative Capital – An Asset Class
9 Definitions and Methodology
10 About GlobalData
10.1 Contact GlobalData
10.2 About GlobalData
10.3 GlobalData’s Services
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.