Country Profile: Ice Cream Sector in Germany
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
The Ice Cream sector in Germany is driven by increasing disposable income and growing consumer demand for high-quality products in the country. Of the three markets, Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream is the largest in value terms, while the Artisanal Ice Cream market is forecast to register the fastest growth during 2016-2021. On-trade transactions account for the leading share in the distribution of Ice Cream products in the country. Rigid Plastics is the most commonly used package material in the sector, while Paper & Board is forecast to register the fastest growth during 2016-2021. Unilever, Nestle, and Bofrost Diensteistungs are the leading market players in the German Ice Cream sector.
GlobalData’s Country Profile report on the Ice Cream sector in Germany provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
What else is contained?
– Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021. The overall market value and volume included in the report is split on the basis of On-trade and Off-trade
– Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Artisanal Ice Cream, Impulse Ice Cream – Single Serve, and Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
– Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016
– Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as On-trade, Cash & Carries and warehouse Clubs, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others
– Packaging data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastics, and others; Pack data for: Carton, Film, Bag/Sachet, Tub, Wrapper, Bottle, and Tube.
– The Ice Cream sector in Germany is forecast to grow at 2.5% CAGR in value terms during 2016-2021
– Per capita consumption in the Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream market is noticeably higher compared to other markets in Germany
– On-trade transactions account for the leading share in the distribution of Ice Cream products in Germany
– Artisanal Producers lead the German Ice Cream sector
– Rigid Plastics is the most commonly used package material in the German Ice Cream sector
Reasons to Buy
– Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
– Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
– Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
– Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
– Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Ice Cream products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
– Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
– The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
– Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.
Bofrost Diensteistungs Gmbh
Royal FrieslandCampina N.V.
General Mills Inc.
R&R Ice Cream
DMK Deutsches Milchkontor GmbH
BRUNO GELATO GmbH
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
1. Report Scope 1
2. Executive summary 3
3. Germany in the global and regional context 5
3.1. Germany’s share in the Global and Western European Ice Cream sector 5
3.2. Germany compared to other leading countries in Western Europe 6
4. Market size analysis – Ice Cream sector 7
4.1. Value and volume analysis – Ice Cream sector in Germany 7
4.2. Per capita consumption – Germany compared to Western Europe and globally 8
4.3. Value and volume analysis by markets in the Ice Cream sector 9
4.4. Growth analysis by markets 10
5. Market and category analysis 11
5.1. Per capita consumption analysis by markets 11
5.2. Market analysis: Artisanal Ice Cream 12
5.3. Market analysis: Impulse Ice Cream-Single Serve 13
5.4. Market analysis: Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream 16
6. Distribution analysis 19
6.1. Distribution channel share analysis: Ice Cream sector 19
6.2. Distribution channel share analysis: Artisanal Ice Cream 20
6.3. Distribution channel share analysis: Impulse Ice Cream-Single Serve 21
6.4. Distribution channel share analysis: Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream 22
7. Competitive landscape 23
7.1. Brand share analysis by sector 23
7.2. Brand share analysis by markets 25
7.3. Brand share analysis by category 29
7.3.1. Impulse Ice Cream-Single Serve 29
7.3.2. Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream 31
7.4. Private label share analysis 33
8. Health & Wellness analysis 35
8.1. Market size analysis by Health & Wellness claims 35
8.2. Market share analysis – Health & Wellness product attributes 36
8.3. Market size analysis – Health & Wellness consumer benefits 38
9. Packaging analysis 40
9.1. Packaging share and growth analysis by package material 40
9.2. Packaging share analysis by package material 41
9.3. Packaging share and growth analysis by pack type 42
9.4. Packaging share analysis by pack type 43
9.5. Packaging share and growth analysis by closure type 44
9.6. Packaging share analysis by closure type 45
9.7. Packaging share and growth analysis by primary outer type 46
9.8. Packaging share analysis by primary outer type 47
10. Macroeconomic analysis 48
10.1. GDP per Capita 51
10.2. Population and population growth 52
10.3. Consumer Price Index 53
10.4. Population breakdown by age 54
11. Consumergraphics 55
11.1. Consumption by Gender 55
11.2. Consumption by Age 56
11.3. Consumption by Education 57
11.4. Consumption by Degree of Urbanization 58
12. Methodology 59
13. Definitions 61
14. Appendix 73
15. About GlobalData 86
16. Disclaimer 87
17. Contact Us 88
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.