Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Market Size, Drug Analysis, Epidemiology, Disease Management, Pipeline Assessment, Unmet Needs and Forecast 2031
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Market Overview
The drug sales across the 7 major markets (7MM) in the Diabetic Neuropathic Pain (DNP) market were estimated at $1.7 billion in 2021. The DNP market is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 5% during 2021-2031. The US market makes up the majority of total global sales, due to the large DNP prevalent population and the high price of medication in the country.
Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Market Outlook, 2021-2031 ($ billion)
To get more information on the diabetic neuropathic pain market forecast, download a free report sample
The diabetic neuropathic pain market research report provides an analysis of the key dynamics and insights into the key industry drivers and challenges impacting the diabetic neuropathic pain market. It also covers deals and R&D strategies in detail to highlight potential business opportunities. The report offers key metrics for diabetic neuropathic pain in the seven major pharmaceutical markets (7MM) including the US, 5EU (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK), and Japan during the forecast period from 2021-2031.
|Market Size (2021 in 7MM)||$1.7 billion|
|Key Regions||The US, 5EU, and Japan|
|Key Class Segments||SNRIs, Tricyclic Antidepressants, Gabapentinoids, Sodium Channel Blockers, Opioids, Topical Analgesics, Pipeline Agents, and Others|
|Leading Players||Viatris, Grunenthal, Eli Lilly, Helixmith Co, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, Lexicon Pharmaceuticals, and Novaremed AG|
|Enquire & Decide||Discover the perfect solution for your business needs. Enquire now and let us help you make an informed decision before making a purchase.|
Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Market Dynamics
A total of four new pipeline products will launch, each of which of will have a higher annual cost of therapy (ACOT) when compared with the cost of the most used analgesics, which are highly genericized. The prospect of a disease-modifying therapy will also be welcomed for patients as the underlying pathophysiology of DNP will be targeted, rather than just being a symptomatic treatment.
In the 7MM, the number of 12-month total prevalent cases of DNP is expected to increase during the forecast period, which will lead to an increase in the treated population and drive sales.
However, the DNP market is crowded with inexpensive generic products for pain relief. The high use of these products is expected to continue throughout the forecast period. The ACOT of pipeline products is significantly higher when compared with the cost of generic analgesic therapies for DNP. This may restrict uptake, with payers and physicians preferring to prescribe cheaper alternatives when possible. The complex pathophysiology of the disease and the lack of understanding of the varied underlying mechanisms driving DNP have created some significant challenges for drug development.
Buy the full report to know more about the diabetic neuropathic pain market dynamics, download a free report sample
Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Market Segmentation by Class
The key class segments in the diabetic neuropathic pain market are SNRIs, Tricyclic Antidepressants, Gabapentinoids, Sodium Channel Blockers, Opioids, Topical Analgesics, Pipeline Agents, and others. In 2021, the gabapentinoids were the top-selling class of drugs, representing more than 40% of the DNP market. The gabapentinoids, pregabalin and gabapentin, are first-line treatments for the treatment of DNP, and they have higher ACOTs compared to SNRIs, TCAs, and sodium channel blockers.
Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Market Analysis by Class, 2021 (%)
For more insights on the class segments in the diabetic neuropathic pain market, buy the full report or download a free report sample
Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Market Segmentation by Regions
The key regions in the diabetic neuropathic pain market are the US, 5EU, and Japan.
The US: The US had the highest share in 2021 and will continue to dominate the DNP market throughout the forecast period. This is mainly due to the large prevalent population of patients with DNP, the high cost of drugs, and the number of drugs marketed exclusively in the US compared to other countries in the 7MM.
5EU: Of the 5EU economies including France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK, the largest proportion of sales came from Germany. The regional growth can be mainly attributed to a larger population and therefore a higher number of total DNP-treated cases compared to the remaining European markets. Another key driver for the 5EU growth will be the launch of the pipeline product, ISC-17536 and will have a higher ACOT when compared with the cost of the most commonly used analgesics, which are highly genericized.
Japan: Despite the patent expiry of Effexor XR (venlafaxine succinate) and Vimpat (lacosamide), generic erosion in Japan is often more restrained than in other major markets, as generic drugs are less accepted, and patients remain loyal to branded products. The DNP market is crowded with inexpensive generic products for pain relief. The high use of these products is expected to continue throughout the forecast period.
Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Market Analysis by Regions, 2021 (%)
For more regional insights on the diabetic neuropathic pain market, buy the full report or download a free report sample
Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Market - Competitive Landscape
Some of the leading players in the diabetic neuropathic pain market are Viatris, Grunenthal, and Eli Lilly, Helixmith Co, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, Lexicon Pharmaceuticals, and Novaremed AG. Of the late-stage pipeline products that are being developed for the treatment of DNP, Helixmith’s Engensis seems to be the most promising, with the highest clinical score and commercial score. This is attributed to its unique MOA, as it is a gene therapy that has demonstrated potential disease-modifying properties. Furthermore, Engensis is the only pipeline product that does not require daily administration.
Buy the full report to know more about leading diabetic neuropathic pain market players, download a free report sample
Key Segments Covered in this Report.
Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Class Outlook (%, 2021)
- Tricyclic Antidepressants
- Sodium Channel Blockers
- Topical Analgesics
- Pipeline Agents
Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Regional Outlook (%, 2021)
- The US
- Overview of diabetic neuropathic pain, including epidemiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and disease management.
- Annualized diabetic neuropathic pain therapeutics market revenue, cost of therapy per patient, and treatment usage patterns forecast from 2021 to 2031.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping, and implications of these factors for the diabetic neuropathic pain therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data assessing emerging trends and mechanisms of action under development for diabetic neuropathic pain treatment. The most promising candidates in Phase III and Phase IIb development are profiled.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global diabetic neuropathic pain therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications
Reasons to Buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global diabetic neuropathic pain therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global diabetic neuropathic pain therapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships
Daiichi Sankyo Co
Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corp
Ono Pharmaceutical Co
Sun Pharmaceutical Industries
Table of Contents
- 1 Diabetic Neuropathic Pain: Executive Summary
- 1.1 DNP market will grow to $3.0 billion
- 1.2 Key players will struggle to maintain their competitive position
- 1.3 While outlook in DNP improves, opportunities remain to improve patient outcomes
- 1.4 Novel late-stage pipeline drugs will be a key driver of growth
- 1.5 What do physicians think?
- 2 Introduction
- 2.1 Catalyst
- 2.2 Related reports
- 2.3 Upcoming reports
- 3 Disease Overview
- 3.1 Etiology and pathophysiology
- 3.1.1 Etiology
- 3.1.2 Pathophysiology
- 3.2 Classification or staging systems
- 3.1 Etiology and pathophysiology
- 4 Epidemiology
- 4.1 Disease background
- 4.2 Risk factors and comorbidities
- 4.3 Global and historical trends
- 4.4 7MM forecast methodology
- 4.4.1 Sources used
- 4.4.2 Forecast assumptions and methods
- 4.4.3 Total prevalent cases of DNP
- 4.4.4 Diagnosed prevalent cases of DNP
- 4.4.5 Diagnosed prevalent cases of DNP by DSPN and non-DSPN
- 4.4.6 p-DPN among diagnosed prevalent cases of T1D and T2D
- 4.5 Epidemiological forecast for total prevalent cases of DNP (2021–31)
- 4.5.1 Total prevalent cases of DNP
- 4.5.2 Age-specific total prevalent cases of DNP
- 4.5.3 Sex-specific total prevalent cases of DNP
- 4.5.4 Diagnosed prevalent cases of DNP
- 4.5.5 Diagnosed prevalent cases of DNP by DSPN and Non-DSPN
- 4.5.6 p-DPN among diagnosed prevalent cases of T1D and T2D
- 4.6 Discussion
- 4.6.1 Epidemiological forecast insight
- 4.6.2 COVID-19 impact
- 4.6.3 Limitations of the analysis
- 4.6.4 Strengths of the analysis
- 5 Disease Management
- 5.1 Diagnosis overview
- 5.2 Treatment overview
- 5.3 Other KOL insights on disease management
- 6 Competitive Assessment
- 6.1 Overview
- 7 Unmet Needs and Opportunity Assessment
- 7.1 Overview
- 7.2 Development of therapies with an improved efficacy profile
- 7.3 Development of therapies with improved safety and tolerability profile
- 7.4 Development of a curative or disease-modifying agent
- 7.5 Improving physician and public recognition of DNP
- 8 R&D Strategies
- 8.1 Overview
- 8.1.1 Development of analgesics with novel MOAs
- 8.1.2 Patient stratification
- 8.2 Clinical trials design
- 8.2.1 Clinical endpoints
- 8.2.2 High failure rate in DNP clinical trials
- 8.2.3 Patient recruitment
- 8.1 Overview
- 9 Pipeline Assessment
- 9.1 Overview
- 9.2 Promising drugs in clinical development
- 10 Pipeline Valuation Analysis
- 10.1 Overview
- 10.2 Competitive assessment
- 11 Current and Future Players
- 11.1 Overview
- 11.2 Deal-making trends
- 12 Market Outlook
- 12.1 Global markets
- 12.1.1 Forecast
- 12.1.2 Drivers and barriers – global issues
- 12.2 US
- 12.2.1 Forecast
- 12.2.2 Key events
- 12.2.3 Drivers and barriers
- 12.3 5EU
- 12.3.1 Forecast
- 12.3.2 Key events
- 12.3.3 Drivers and barriers
- 12.4 Japan
- 12.4.1 Forecast
- 12.4.2 Key events
- 12.4.3 Drivers and barriers
- 12.1 Global markets
- 13 Appendix
- 13.1 Bibliography
- 13.2 Abbreviations
- 13.3 Methodology
- 13.3.1 Forecasting methodology
- 13.4 Primary research – KOLs interviewed for this report
- 13.4.1 KOLs
- 13.5 Primary research – prescriber survey
- 13.6 About the Authors
- 13.6.1 Analyst
- 13.6.2 Therapy Area Director
- 13.6.3 Epidemiologist
- 13.6.4 Managing Epidemiologist
- 13.6.5 Vice President of Disease Analysis and Intelligence
- 13.6.6 Global Head and EVP of Healthcare Operations and Strategy
- 14 Contact Us
Frequently asked questions
What was the diabetic neuropathic pain market size in the 7MM in 2021?
The diabetic neuropathic pain market size across the 7 major markets (7MM) was valued at $1.7 billion in 2021.
What will be the diabetic neuropathic pain market growth rate in the 7MM during 2021-2031?
The diabetic neuropathic pain market in the 7MM will grow at a CAGR of over 5% during 2021-2031.
Which are the key regions in the diabetic neuropathic pain market?
The key regions in the diabetic neuropathic pain market are the US, 5EU, and Japan.
Which region had the highest share in the diabetic neuropathic pain market in 2021?
The US accounted for the highest share of the diabetic neuropathic pain market in 2021.
Which are the key class segments in the diabetic neuropathic pain market?
The key class segments in the diabetic neuropathic pain market are SNRIs, Tricyclic Antidepressants, Gabapentinoids, Sodium Channel Blockers, Opioids, Topical Analgesics, Pipeline Agents, and others.
Who are the leading players in the diabetic neuropathic pain market?
Some of the leading players in the diabetic neuropathic pain market are Viatris, Grunenthal, and Eli Lilly, Helixmith Co, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, Lexicon Pharmaceuticals, and Novaremed AG.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.