Future of the Kazakh Defense Industry – Market Attractiveness, Competitive Landscape and Forecasts to 2023
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
The Future of Kazakh Defense Industry – Market Attractiveness, Competitive Landscape and Forecasts to 2023, published by Strategic Defense Intelligence, provides readers with detailed analysis of both historic and forecast defense industry values, factors influencing demand, the challenges faced by industry participants, analysis of industry leading companies, and key news.
This report offers detailed analysis of Kazakh defense industry with market size forecasts covering the next five years. This report will also analyze factors that influence demand for the industry, key market trends, and challenges faced by industry participants.
In particular, it provides an in-depth analysis of the following –
– Kazakh defense industry market size and drivers: detailed analysis of Kazakhstan defense industry during 2019–2023, including highlights of the demand drivers and growth stimulators for the industry. It also provides a snapshot of the country’s expenditure and modernization patterns
– Budget allocation and key challenges: insights into procurement schedules formulated within the country and a breakdown of the defense budget. It also details the key challenges faced by defense market participants within the country
– Import and Export Dynamics: analysis of prevalent trends in the country’s imports and exports over the last five years
– Market opportunities: details of the top defense investment opportunities over the next 10 years
– Competitive landscape and strategic insights: analysis of the competitive landscape of Kazakh defense industry. It provides an overview of key players, together with insights such as key alliances, strategic initiatives, and a brief financial analysis
– As one of the emerging powers in Asia, and one of the largest and best-performing economies in Central Asia, Kazakhstan offers strong potential for growth compared to its neighbors.
– While the country invested US$9 billion cumulatively over the period 2014–2018, the defense budget is expected to increase to US$17.1 billion cumulatively over the forecast period.
– During the historic period, Kazakhstan’s defense budget allocation towards capital expenditure increased from 30.4% in 2014 to 34.9% in 2018, as the country entered into a number of procurement deals during 2014–2018. With the country aiming to overhaul its military capabilities, it is likely to implement more defense equipment procurement contracts.
– The country is expected to procure military equipment to boost its naval strength and maritime security in order to bolster its strength in the Caspian Sea and is also likely to invest in Multi-Mission and Maritime Helicopter, multirole aircraft, airborne C4ISR, airborne EO/IR systems, and transport aircraft.
Reasons to Buy
– This report will give the user confidence to make the correct business decisions based on a detailed analysis of Kazakh defense industry market trends for the coming five years
– The market opportunity section will inform the user about the various military requirements that are expected to generate revenues during the forecast period. The description includes technical specifications, recent orders, and the expected investment pattern by the country during the forecast period
– Detailed profiles of the top domestic and foreign defense manufacturers with information about their products, alliances, recent contract wins, and financial analysis wherever available. This will provide the user with a total competitive landscape of the sector
– A deep qualitative analysis of Kazakh defense industry covering sections including demand drivers, Porter’s Five Forces Analysis, Key Trends and Growth Stimulators, and latest industry contracts
Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG
United Aircraft Corporation Irkut
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
1. Introduction 7
1.1. What is this Report About? 7
1.2. Definitions 7
1.3. Summary Methodology 9
1.4. About Strategic Defense Intelligence 10
2. Executive Summary 11
3. Market Attractiveness and Emerging Opportunities 13
3.1. Current Market Scenario 14
3.1.1. Military fleet size 14
3.1.2. Procurement Programs 16
3.1.3. Key Drivers and Challenges 17
3.2. Defense Market Size Historical and Forecast 19
3.2.1. Kazakh annual defense expenditure to reach US$4.6 billion by 2023 19
3.2.2. Modernization and acquisition of military equipment and counter-terrorism to drive Kazakhstan’s defense expenditure 21
3.2.3. The country’s defense expenditure as a percentage of GDP is expected to average
1.5% over the forecast period 23
3.3. Analysis of Defense Budget Allocation 25
3.3.1. Share of capital expenditure to increase considerably over the forecast period 25
3.3.2. Capital expenditure budget is expected to increase during the forecast period 27
3.3.3. Per capita defense expenditure expected to increase during the forecast period 29
3.4. Homeland Security Market Size and Forecast 30
3.4.1. Homeland security budget is projected to increase at a CAGR of
7.79% during the forecast period 30
3.4.2. Human trafficking, drug smuggling, and cybercrime form the major components of homeland security expenditure 32
3.4.3. Kazakhstan is at some risk from external and internal threats 34
3.4.4. Kazakhstan faces moderate threats from terrorist organizations 35
3.4.5. Kazakhstan has a terrorism index score of
3.5. Benchmarking with Key Global Markets 38
3.5.1. Kazakh defense expenditure is expected to increase at a CAGR of
8.76% over the forecast period 38
3.5.2. Kazakhstan’s military expenditure is low when compared to countries with the largest defense expenditure 40
3.5.3. Kazakhstan allocates a low percentage of GDP to defense 41
3.6. Market Opportunities: Key Trends and Growth Stimulators 42
3.6.1. Top 10 Defense Market Sectors by Value (US$ Million) – Projections over period 2018–2023 42
4. Defense Procurement Market Dynamics 43
4.1. Import Market Dynamics 44
4.1.1. The current need to modernize the armed forces will drive defense imports 44
4.1.2. Russia was the leading supplier of arms to Kazakhstan during the historic period; a trend that is expected to continue during the forecast period 45
4.1.3. Aircraft accounted for the majority of defense imports during 2010–2014 46
4.2. Export Market Dynamics 47
4.2.1. Kazakhstan does not export arms due to its under-developed domestic arms industry 47
5. Industry Dynamics 48
5.1. Market Regulation 48
5.1.1. Kazakhstan does not disclose any offset obligations imposed by the country 48
5.1.2. Foreign direct investment (FDI) in defense sector regulations are not disclosed by the government 48
5.2. Market Entry Route 49
5.2.1. Budgeting process 49
5.2.2. Government-to-government agreements are the preferred market entry route for foreign OEMs 50
5.2.3. Joint venture and license manufacturing agreements provide an attractive market entry route 50
5.3. Key Challenges 51
5.3.1. Corruption and lack of transparency create roadblock for foreign companies 51
5.3.2. Domination of Russian companies poses a challenge to other foreign firms 51
6. Competitive Landscape and Strategic Insights 52
6.1. Competitive Landscape Overview 52
6.1.1. Foreign suppliers manufacture defense systems overseas and deliver to Kazakhstan 52
7. Business Environment and Country Risk 53
7.1. Economic Performance 53
7.1.1. GDP Per Capita 53
7.1.2. GDP, Current Prices 54
7.1.3. Exports of goods and services (LCU Billion) 55
7.1.4. Imports of goods and services (LCU Billion) 56
7.1.5. Gross National disposable income (US$ Billion) 57
7.1.6. Local Currency Unit per US Dollars 58
7.1.7. Market capitalization of listed companies (US$ Billion) 59
7.1.8. Market capitalization of listed companies (% of GDP) 60
7.1.9. Goods exports as a % of GDP 61
7.1.10. Goods imports as a % of GDP 62
7.1.11. Services imports as a % of GDP 63
7.1.12. Service exports as a % of GDP 64
7.1.13. Foreign direct investment, net (BoP, current US$ Billion) 65
7.1.14. Net foreign direct investment as % of GDP 66
7.1.15. Mining, Manufacturing, Utilities Output 67
8. Appendix 68
8.1. About SDI 68
8.2. Disclaimer 68
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.