Taiwan Defense Market Size, Trends, Budget Allocation, Regulations, Acquisitions, Competitive Landscape and Forecast to 2028
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Taiwan Defense Market Overview
The Taiwan defense budget is estimated to be worth $19.9 billion in 2023 and is expected to achieve a CAGR of more than 4% during 2024-2028. The Taiwan defense market research report provides the market size forecast and the projected growth rate for the next five years. The report covers industry analysis including the key market drivers, emerging technology trends, and major challenges faced by market participants. It also offers insights regarding key factors and government programs that are expected to influence the demand for military platforms over the forecast period.
Taiwan Defense Market Outlook, 2023-2028 ($ Billion)
For more insights into the Taiwan defense market forecast, download a free report sample
Taiwan Defense Market Drivers
The ongoing dispute with China over the ‘One China Principle’ has compelled the Taiwanese government to expedite the modernization of its armed forces. Taiwan has signed a multibillion-dollar deal for the procurement of the F-16 Viper from the US, along with missiles and missile defense systems. Moreover, Taiwan is also indigenously building diesel-electric submarines and naval vessels to modernize its naval forces.
Taiwan Military Doctrines and Defense Strategies
According to the Constitution of Taiwan, the main objectives of its national defense strategy are to safeguard its national security and preserve world peace. With the intent of confronting the enemy without any fear, the ROC is focusing on building up its forces and constructing a resolute defense to assure peace through faster resolutions and enhanced military strength.
Furthermore, Taiwan has informal defense relationships with many countries, particularly in the Indo-Pacific region, where it is seen as a reliable partner in promoting regional stability and security. The US and Japan are two of Taiwan’s closest security partners, and both have expressed their commitment to supporting Taiwan’s defense. The US is also Taiwan’s largest supplier of arms and has signed several security agreements with Taiwan to enhance their defense relationship.
Taiwan Defense Market Segmentation by Sectors
The key sectors in the Taiwan defense market are military fixed-wing aircraft, missiles and missile defense systems, electronic warfare, military radar, EOIR, military simulation and training, tactical communication stems, military UAV, INS GNSS, and artillery, among others. The military fixed-wing aircraft sector is the largest within the Taiwanese defense market and is expected to continue its dominance during the forecast period. The market is sustained by a slew of acquisition programs, especially within the combat aircraft and training and light attack aircraft segments.
Taiwan Defense Market Analysis by Sectors, 2023 (%)
For more sector insights into the Taiwan defense market, download a free report sample
Taiwan Defense Market - Competitive Landscape
Some of the leading defense companies in Taiwan are Lockheed Martin, CSBC Corporation and Taiwanese Navy, National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology, CSBC Corporation, Lung Teh Shipbuilding, General Dynamics Land Systems, Sikorsky Aircraft, General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Leonardo, and Ordnance Readiness Development Center.
Taiwan Defense Market Report Overview
|Market Size (2023)||$19.9 billion|
|Key Sectors||Military Fixed-Wing Aircraft, Missiles and Missile Defense Systems, Electronic Warfare, Military Radar, EOIR, Military Simulation and Training, Tactical Communication Stems, Military UAV, INS GNSS, and Artillery|
|Leading Companies||Lockheed Martin, CSBC Corporation and Taiwanese Navy, National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology, CSBC Corporation, Lung Teh Shipbuilding, General Dynamics Land Systems, Sikorsky Aircraft, General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Leonardo, and Ordnance Readiness Development Center|
Segments Covered in the Report
Taiwan Defense Market Sectors Outlook (Value, $ Billion, 2019-2028)
- Military Fixed-Wing Aircraft
- Missiles and Missile Defense Systems
- Electronic Warfare
- Military Radar
- Military Simulation and Training
- Tactical Communication Stems
- Military UAV
- INS GNSS
The report provides an in-depth analysis of the following –
- Taiwan’s defense budget: detailed analysis of Taiwan’s FY2023 defense budget broken down into market size and market share. This is coupled with an examination of key current and future acquisitions.
- Regulation: the procurement policy and process is explained. This is coupled with an analysis of Taiwan’s military doctrine and strategy to provide a comprehensive overview of Taiwan’s military regulation.
- Security Environment: political alliances and perceived security threats to Taiwan are examined; they help to explain trends in spending and modernization.
- Import and Export Dynamics: analysis of prevalent trends in the country’s imports and exports over the last five years
- Competitive landscape and strategic insights: analysis of the competitive landscape of the Taiwan defense industry.
Reasons to Buy
- Determine prospective investment areas based on a detailed trend analysis of Taiwan’s defense market over the next five years
- Gain in-depth understanding about the underlying factors driving demand for different defense and internal security segments in the Taiwan market and identify the opportunities offered.
- Strengthen your understanding of the market in terms of demand drivers, market trends, and the latest technological developments, among others
- Identify the major threats that are driving the Taiwan defense market providing a clear picture about future opportunities that can be tapped, resulting in revenue expansion
- Channel resources by focusing on the ongoing programs that are being undertaken by the Taiwan government
- Make correct business decisions based on in-depth analysis of the competitive landscape consisting of detailed profiles of the top defense equipment providers in the country. The company profiles also includes information about the key products, alliances, recent contract awarded, and financial analysis, wherever available
National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology
Table of Contents
- 1. Executive Summary
- 2. Defense Budget Assessment
- 2.1. Budgeting Process
- 2.2. Defense Market Size Historic And Forecast
- 2.3. Drivers Of Defense Expenditure
- 2.4. Analysis of Defense Expenditure Allocation
- 2.5. Analysis Of Defense Budget Allocation
- 3. Military Doctrine And Security Environment
- 3.1. Military Doctrine And Strategy
- 3.2. Strategic Alliances and Geopolitics
- 3.3. Political, Social, and Economic Scenario
- 4. Market Entry Strategy And Regulations
- 4.1. Defense Procurement Bodies
- 4.2. Funding Opportunities
- 4.3. Trade Associations and Defense Clusters
- 4.4. Types of Contracts and Opportunities
- 4.5. Types of Procurement Procedure
- 4.6. Procurement Policy and Market Regulations
- 4.7. Market Entry Routes
- 4.8. Key Challenges
- 4.9. Major Deals and M&A
- 5. Market Attractiveness And Emerging Opportunities
- 5.1. Market Attractiveness, 2023–28
- 5.2. Top Defense Segments By Value
- 6. Defense Platform Acquisitions
- 6.1. Defense Platform Acquisitions By Value
- 6.2. Training Aircraft
- 6.3. F-16V
- 6.4. Replacement Kee Lung-class Destroyer
- 6.5. AIDC T-5 Brave Eagle
- 6.6. Zhenhai-class
- 7. Fleet Size
- 8. Competitive Landscape
- 8.1. Defense Companies Operating In Taiwan
- 8.2. Main Defense Companies
- 9. Appendix
- 9.1. About This Report
- 9.2. About Us
- 9.3. Contact Us
Frequently asked questions
What is the Taiwan defense market size in 2023?
The defense market size in Taiwan is estimated to be $19.9 billion in 2023.
What is the Taiwan defense market growth rate?
The defense market in the Taiwan is expected to achieve a CAGR of more than 4% during 2023-2028.
What are the key sectors in the Taiwan defense market?
The key sectors in the Taiwan defense market are military fixed-wing aircraft, missiles and missile defense systems, electronic warfare, military radar, EOIR, military simulation and training, tactical communication stems, military UAV, INS GNSS, and artillery, among others.
Which are the leading companies in the Taiwan defense market?
Some of the leading companies in the Taiwan defense market are Lockheed Martin, CSBC Corporation and Taiwanese Navy, National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology, CSBC Corporation, Lung Teh Shipbuilding, General Dynamics Land Systems, Sikorsky Aircraft, General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Leonardo, and Ordnance Readiness Development Center.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.