The Cards and Payments Industry in Lebanon: Emerging Trends and Opportunities to 2020
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
GlobalData’s 'The Cards and Payments Industry in Lebanon: Emerging Trends and Opportunities to 2020' report provides detailed analysis of market trends in the Lebanese cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including check payments and payment cards during the review period (2011–2015).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry, and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, and transaction values and volumes during the review period and over the forecast period (2016–2020). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including the market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalData’s research, modeling and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers details of regulatory policy and recent changes in the regulatory structure.
• This report provides a comprehensive analysis of the Lebanese cards and payments industry.
• It provides current values for the Lebanese cards and payments industry for 2015, and forecast figures to 2020.
• It details the different demographic, economic, infrastructural and business drivers affecting the Lebanese cards and payments industry.
• It outlines the current regulatory framework in the industry.
• It details marketing strategies used by various banks and other institutions.
• To prevent money laundering and the misuse of prepaid cards, Banque du Liban (the central bank of Lebanon) issued a circular in March 2016, directing banks and financial institutions to discontinue issuing and marketing prepaid cards. However, this circular was amended in May 2016, allowing banks to issue prepaid cards only to accountholders. International issuers are also allowed to issue prepaid cards, with the central bank’s approval.
• The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) launched the Multipurpose Cash Assistance Program (MCAP) in August 2014, to serve the increasing Syrian refugee population, which stood at around 1.1 million in February 2016. By May 2015, 12,807 refugee families were offered cash assistance via payment cards issued through this program by CSC. Similarly, the Lebanon Cash Consortium (LCC) partnered with the World Food Program (WFP) in December 2014, to launch the OneCard electronic payment card. This card can be used for ATM cash withdrawals, as well as in-store payments at partner retailers.
• To offer easier access to banking services, Bank Audi launched its Novo branch in December 2014. This branch offers interactive teller machines (ITMs) and an ultra-modern space catering to consumers’ financial needs. An ITM offers live video assistance, and can be used by consumers to manage bank accounts, deposit and withdraw cash, deposit and cash checks, transfer money and pay bills. The bank also offers a Novo advisory room which can be used to open bank accounts and instantly obtain debit cards. The Novo branch is open 365 days a year, and is expected to provide a convenient and interactive banking experience to consumers.
Reasons to Buy
• Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to the Lebanese cards and payments industry and each market within it.
• Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in the Lebanese cards and payments industry.
• Assess the competitive dynamics in the Lebanese cards and payments industry.
• Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Lebanon.
• Gain insights into key regulations governing the Lebanese cards and payments industry.
Bank of Beirut
Table of Contents
1 DEFINITIONS AND METHODOLOGY
2 KEY FACTS AND HIGHLIGHTS
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 PAYMENT INSTRUMENTS
5 E-COMMERCE AND ALTERNATIVE PAYMENTS
5.1 E-Commerce Market and Payment Methods
5.2 Alternative Payment Solutions
5.2.2 LibanCall Plus
6 REGULATIONS IN THE CARDS AND PAYMENTS INDUSTRY
6.1 Regulatory Framework
6.2 Anti-Money Laundering (AML)
6.3 Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) Regulations
7 ANALYSIS OF CARDS AND PAYMENTS INDUSTRY DRIVERS
8 PAYMENT CARDS
9 DEBIT CARDS
9.1 Debit Card Market Analysis
9.2 Debit Card Scheme and Issuer Shares
9.3 Debit Card Comparison
10 PAY LATER CARDS
10.1 Pay Later Cards Market Analysis
10.2 Pay Later Cards Scheme and Issuer Shares
10.3 Pay Later Cards Comparison
11 PREPAID CARDS
12.2 Contact GlobalData
12.3 About GlobalData
12.4 GlobalData’s Services
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.