Travel Apps – Thematic Intelligence
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Travel Apps Thematic Overview
Travel apps offer customers an enhanced convenience which helps them save both time and money. When looking specifically at OTAs (online travel agencies), the most successful companies in this sub-sector give little reason for customers to shop elsewhere when purchasing the main services and products that create a domestic or international trip. For instance, Booking.com acts as a ‘one-stop shop’, which allows customers to book flights and accommodation, rent a car, and arrange attraction experiences all in one place.
The travel apps thematic intelligence report provides an overview of the current landscape, including consumer, enterprise, and industry trends, as well as key players, while also highlighting opportunities for the use of travel apps. The report provides an industry-specific analysis based on GlobalData databases and surveys.
|Value Chain||· Intermediaries
· Travel Services
|Leading Public Companies||· AccorHotels
· American Airlines
|Leading Private Companies||· Cambodia Tourism
|Enquire & Decide||Discover the perfect solution for your business needs. Enquire now and let us help you make an informed decision before making a purchase.|
Travel Apps – Key Trends
The main trends shaping the travel apps theme over the next 12 to 24 months are consumer trends, enterprise trends, and industry trends.
- Consumer trends: Some of the key consumer trends impacting the theme are personalization, online booking, shorter booking windows & longer stays, the impact of social media, and the role of generation hashtag.
- Enterprise trends: The key enterprise trends explained in the report are loyalty schemes, financial technology (fintech), seamless experiences, cybersecurity investment, digital partnerships, and online travel.
- Industry trends: The usage of AI and machine learning, big data, AR and VR, app bans, conversational platforms, cybersecurity, push notifications, blockchain and cryptocurrency, the sharing economy, the subscription economy, and climate-conscious options are a part of the industry trends impacting travel apps.
Travel Apps – Industry Analysis
Travelers are demanding more connected experiences and travel apps are playing a large role by impacting the way travelers interact with travel and tourism players. As smartphones become ever more important in many people’s lives, the convenience of apps becomes larger. Travel companies must understand the importance of developing apps to meet and solve problems consumers can face. There are many players who are yet to realize the value a travel app can generate for both the company and the traveler.
The Travel Apps industry analysis also covers:
- Case studies
- Impact of travel apps on travel and tourism
Travel Apps - Value Chain Analysis
The travel apps value chain has five segments which are intermediaries, transportation, lodging, destination, and travel services.
Intermediaries: The main type of travel intermediary that places the highest importance on its app offering is the OTA sub-sector. All major OTAs, such as Booking.com and Expedia, rely heavily on their apps for booking generation. As a result, OTAs now offer one-stop-shop solutions through their apps. When looking at Booking.com’s app, users can book their whole trip in one location, with accommodation, flights, car rentals, taxis, and more available to book.
Travel Apps Value Chain Analysis
Buy the Full Report to Get More Insights into the Travel Apps Value Chain or,
Leading Public Companies
Some of the leading public companies making their mark within the travel apps theme:
- AccorHotels: The company manages and franchises luxury and upscale, midscale, and economy hotels. Historically, the group had several apps for each of its hotel brands. However, this changed in 2015 when the company embarked on a multi-million-dollar investment in its digital processes and a key focus of this was to develop one central app for all brands.
- Airbnb: It has become a leader in the lodging and online booking sectors due to its innovative app. Furthermore, customizable search options are available through the app, and users can search through thousands of listings after following a few simple steps to create a profile. Such customizations may encourage travelers to use travel apps for their further bookings thereby driving the travel apps market size growth.
- American Airlines: It is one of the largest airlines in the US and also a founding member of the ‘Oneworld Alliance’. With a huge number of reviews on the Apple App Store, the American Airlines App is among the best in the sector. The app contains all the information that passengers need for all stages of their trip.
Leading Private Companies
Some of the leading private companies associated with this theme:
- Cambodia Tourism: The company offers Cambodian tourism industry promotion, Cambodian tourism resources development, and tourism training program services. In addition, MoT has identified the need for a digital platform to develop an app that helps tourists quickly access the information they need to know, so they can plan their trips accordingly.
- Citymapper: Citymapper is a public transit app and mapping service that displays transport options, usually with live timing, between any two locations in a supported city. It employs workers to constantly adjust routes in real-time, which means users will receive instant updates regarding delays for many methods of transport that they may take during a city break.
- Curb: It is the leading taxi app in the US that connects users to fast, convenient, and safe rides across the US. Curb prides itself on providing an efficient service through its ‘Pair & Pay’ system on its app (currently available in NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, and Las Vegas), customers do not even need to take out their wallets to pay with cash or card.
Buy the Full Report to Get More Insights into the Leading Public and Private Companies in the Travel Apps Theme or, Download a Free Sample Report
Travel Intermediaries Sector Scorecard
At GlobalData, we use a scorecard approach to predict tomorrow’s leading companies within each sector. Our sector scorecard has three screens: a thematic screen, a valuation screen, and a risk screen.
- The thematic screen ranks companies based on overall leadership in the 10 themes that matter most to their industry, generating a leading indicator of future performance.
- The valuation screen ranks our universe of companies within a sector based on selected valuation metrics.
- The risk screen ranks companies within a particular sector based on overall investment risk.
Travel Intermediaries Sector Scorecard – Thematic Screen
Buy the Full Report to Get More Insights on the Sector Scorecards or,
Other sector scorecards provided in the report:
- Rail and Road Transport sector scorecard
Segments Covered in the Report
Travel Apps Value Chain Outlook
- Travel Services
This report provides:
- An overview of the impact Travel Apps have on the travel sector and seeks to understand some of the contributory factors.
- The key trends within this theme that are split into three categories: consumer trends, enterprise trends, and industry trends.
- Several case studies to analyze the multiple ways countries and companies have responded to the impact of this theme’s growth and what they are doing to grow with this theme.
Across all sectors within travel and tourism, the travel apps theme has disrupted, to varying extents, the buyer-seller relationship. From lodging providers to travel service providers, companies have been facing increasing levels of digital disruption. Travel apps are becoming the most convenient way to access products and services thus investment in them has increased. Companies investing in a travel app proposition will be attractive to travelers over those who do not.
As consumers continue to demand easily accessible, yet innovative mobile-first strategies from companies, the travel apps space will continue to develop, and new companies are likely to enter the space if they have not already. With more consumers showing a positive sentiment towards the use of travel apps those players who decide not to enter the space will be at risk of losing customers in the future. Therefore, the power of travel apps must not be underestimated, and companies must invest to stay relevant to the traveler.
Travel apps are mobile applications related to the travel and tourism industry. These apps offer brands and tourists a direct line to each other, offering the customer convenience and the company a front-row seat in travel preferences. As elements of the travel process are increasingly performed on mobile devices, even at the research stage, companies need to be present in the formats that their customers are most familiar with. As a result of this, the importance of omnichannel connectivity is now paramount.
Apps have become increasingly common in everyday life, and there is a myriad of apps for different tasks: from chatting virtually with friends to conducting banking tasks, apps are now expected as part of a company’s digital offerings. Convenience is key and consumers desire all the required information for their trip to be in one place that is easily accessible. Travel firms that invest in a ‘mobile-first’ app strategy are likely to satisfy the demands of the 21st-century traveler. The functionality of these apps is endless. Apps have become a common option for customers to book through.
Reasons to Buy
- Understand the current Travel Apps trends within the travel landscape today and how these will escalate soon.
- Assess how travel and tourism companies such as tour operators, OTAs, and DMOs are utilizing Travel Apps to drive revenues.
- Acknowledge the potential pitfalls of using Travel Apps by understanding the social, cultural, and environmental effects on the destination.
- Discover recommendations for businesses involved in Travel Apps.
- GlobalData’s thematic research ecosystem is a single, integrated global research platform that provides an easy-to-use framework for tracking all themes across all companies in all sectors. It has a proven track record of identifying important themes early, enabling companies to make the right investments ahead of the competition and secure that all-important competitive advantage.
- All across the travel and tourism supply chain, now have an opportunity to capitalize on Travel Apps, and there are notable examples of this. Therefore, all should buy this report to fully understand how this theme will continue to be a key theme in the future travel landscape.
On the Beach Group
Flight Centre Travel Group
The Walt Disney Company
Table of Contents
- 1. Executive Summary
- 2. Players
- 3. Thematic Briefing
- 4. Trends
- 4.1. Consumer trends
- 4.2. Enterprise trends
- 4.3. Industry trends
- 5. Industry Analysis
- 5.1. Market size and growth forecasts
- 5.2. Case Studies
- 5.3. Impact of travel apps on travel and tourism
- 5.4. Recommendations
- 5.5. Timeline
- 6. Signals
- 6.1. M&A trends
- 6.2. Venture financing trends
- 6.3. Patent trends
- 6.4. Company filing trends
- 6.5. Social media trends
- 7. Value Chain
- 7.1. Intermediaries
- 7.2. Transportation
- 7.3. Lodging
- 7.4. Destination
- 7.5. Travel services
- 8. Companies
- 8.1. Public companies
- 8.2. Private companies
- 9. Sector Scorecards
- 9.1. Travel Intermediaries sector scorecard
- 9.2. Rail and Road Transport sector scorecard
- 10. Glossary
- 11. Further Reading
- 12. Our Thematic Research Methodology
- 13. About GlobalData
- 14. Contact Us
Frequently asked questions
What are the components of the travel apps value chain?
The travel apps value chain has five segments which are intermediaries, transportation, lodging, destination, and travel services.
Which are the leading public companies associated with travel apps?
Some of the leading public companies making their mark within the travel apps theme are AccorHotels, Airbnb, and American Airlines.
Which are the leading private companies associated with travel apps?
Some of the leading private companies associated with travel apps are Cambodia Tourism, Citymapper, and Curb.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.