The video games industry continues to evolve, driven by changing user demands, new monetization and distribution channels, and technological progress. Industry themes like 5G, augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), esports, cloud gaming, and the metaverse is anticipated to propel the market growth in the coming years.
The video games thematic intelligence report gives an overview of the value chain, market size, growth forecasts, gaming sector scorecard, and the specialist gaming software vendors in the market.
The main trends shaping the video games theme are classified into three categories: technology, macroeconomic, and regulatory trends.
- Technology trends – The key technology trends impacting the video games space are metaverse, cloud and mobile gaming, esports, AR gaming, and cybersecurity.
- Macroeconomic trends– The report focuses on key macroeconomic trends impacting the video games industry, which include the free-to-play with premium content (freemium), play-to-earn revenue model, ongoing semiconductor shortage, and various social factors and working conditions.
- Regulatory trends – The key regulatory trends impacting the video games theme are gambling-related regulations, data privacy and the social impact of video games on minors.
Video Games – Industry Analysis
The global gaming software industry was worth $197 billion in 2021. Mobile gaming dominated the gaming software market, followed by PC gaming, console gaming, and VR gaming. Moreover, cloud gaming is likely to be the fastest-growing segment in the industry during the forecast period.
The video games market analysis also covers:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Venture financing
- Patent trends
For more video games industry analysis, download a free report sample
Video games - Value Chain Analysis
GlobalData’s video games value chain is split into four layers: creation, monetization, distribution, and device.
Video Games Value Chain
For more insights on the video games value chain, download a free report sample
Leading Companies in the Video Games Market
Some of the leading companies making their mark within the video games theme are:
- Activision Blizzard
Video Games Sector Scorecard
GlobalData uses a scorecard approach to predict tomorrow’s leading companies within each sector. The sector scorecards help to determine which companies are best positioned for a future filled with disruptive threats. Each sector scorecard has three screens:
- The thematic screen ranks companies based on overall leadership in the 10 themes that matter most to their industry, generating a leading indicator of future performance.
- The valuation screen ranks our universe of companies within a sector based on selected valuation metrics.
- The risk screen ranks companies within a particular sector based on overall investment risk.
Gaming Sector Scorecard – Thematic Screen
For more insights on the gaming score card, download a free report sample
Video Games Market Overview
|Market Value (2021)||$197 billion|
|Key Trends||Technology, Macroeconomic, and Regulatory Trends|
|Value Chain||Creation, Monetization, Distribution, and Device|
|Leading Companies||Activision Blizzard, Alphabet, Amazon, Blacknut and ByteDance|
This report provides an overview of the video games theme.
- It identifies the key trends impacting growth of the theme over the next 12 to 24 months, split into three categories: technology trends, macroeconomic trends, and regulatory trends.
- It includes global market forecasts for gaming software and analysis of patent activity.
- It contains details of M&A deals driven by the video games theme, and a timeline highlighting milestones in the development of video games.
- The detailed value chain consists of four layers: creation, monetization, distribution, and device.
Reasons to Buy
The video games industry is an ideal example of a hypercompetitive market. With low barriers to entry and lucrative revenue opportunities, the number of players in the market is continuously increasing. This report provides an invaluable guide to this disruptive theme. It includes comprehensive lists of the leading players across all aspects of the value chain, helping companies identify the right partners.
BT Group (EE)
CD Projekt (GOG)
JP Morgan (WePay)
MediaLab AI (Kik)
Modern Times Group
Opera (YoYo Games)
Super League Gaming
Table of Contents
Thematic Research Methodology
Frequently Asked Questions
The video games market was valued at $197 billion in 2021.
The key technology trends impacting the video games space are metaverse, cloud and mobile gaming, esports, AR gaming, and cybersecurity.
The key macroeconomic trends impacting the video games industry are free-to-play with premium content, also known as freemium, play-to-earn revenue model, ongoing semiconductor shortage and various social factors and working conditions.
The key regulatory trends impacting the video games theme are gambling-related regulations, data privacy and the social impact of video games on minors.
GlobalData’s video games value chain is split into four layers: Creation, Monetization, Distribution, and Device.
Some of the leading companies in the video games market are Activision Blizzard, Alphabet, Amazon, Blacknut and ByteDance among others.
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Every customer’s requirement is unique. We understand that and can customize the report basis your exact research requirements pertaining to market insights, innovation insights, strategy and planning, and competitive intelligence. You can also avail the option of purchasing stand-alone sections of the report or request for a country specific report.
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.