Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Drug Discovery Market – Thematic Research
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Explore trends and insights from the following data in the ‘Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Drug Discovery Market’ thematic report:
- Understanding the key trends impacting the theme over the next 12 to 24 months.
- Comprehensive analysis of drugs discovered using AI and survey data on the adoption of AI in pharma.
- Detailed value chain breaks down Artificial Intelligence (AI) in the Drug Discovery Market into Target Identification and Validation, Generation of Molecule Leads/De Novo Drug Design, Drug Repurposing, and Response Biomarker Discovery.
- Overview of the current landscape, as well as key players (Microsoft, Alphabet, AbCellera, Atomwise, and IBM among others).
- Highlight opportunities for the use of AI in the future.
- Offer a sector scorecard to predict leading companies within each sector. Our sector scorecards have three screens: a thematic screen, a valuation screen, and a risk screen.
How is the ‘Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Drug Discovery Market’ report different from other reports in the market?
Corporate giants, governments, and individuals across all industry verticals are adapting to new technologies that will accelerate growth in the coming decade. Getting access to the Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Drug Discovery Market thematic report today will help you to:
- See who the leading players are in the AI in drug discovery space.
- See how the competitive landscape is evolving, with a review of company activity including strategic partnerships and funding deals, as well as mergers and acquisitions (M&A).
- See what trends are driving the use of AI in drug discovery.
- See an analysis of drugs discovered by AI, including by company, phase of development, therapy area, and molecule type.
We recommend this valuable source of information to anyone involved in:
- Pharma Manufacturers (Innovative, Biotech, Generics, Biosimilars, Rare/Orphan Disease /Distributors/ Pharmacies/Big Pharma, Small Biotech, Start-Ups, etc.),
- Parallel Trade Organisations
- Clinical Research Organisations (CROs)
- Financial Institutions (Investors in Pharma/Biotech, Pricing Consultancies)
- Healthcare Organisations (Payers, HTA Bodies, Reimbursement Groups, Government Healthcare Organizations)
To Get a Snapshot of the Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Drug Discovery Market Report, Download a Free Report Sample
AI in Drug Discovery Market Overview
In recent years, the pharma industry has undergone increased levels of digital transformation, driven by the COVID-19 pandemic. The availability of ultra-large datasets and technological advances has led to more interest in the application of AI and big data analytics across the pharma value chain, including drug discovery, clinical trial design, and sales and marketing. Several start-ups have emerged which are interested in the use of AI in drug discovery. This has led to an increasing number of drug discovery partnerships and record levels of investment. While most drugs developed using AI are in the early stages of development, there have been some recent major milestones, including the first drug developed by AI to enter clinical trials and the repurposing of an already-marketed drug to treat COVID-19.
The artificial intelligence in drug discovery thematic intelligence report assesses provides an overview of the current landscape, including healthcare, technology, regulatory, and macroeconomic trends, as well as key players, while also highlighting opportunities for the use of AI in the future. Furthermore, it provides an industry-specific analysis based on GlobalData databases and surveys, as well as several case studies.
|Key Trends||Healthcare Trends, Technology Trends, Macroeconomic Trends, and Regulatory Trends|
|Value Chains||Target Identification and Validation, Generation of Molecule Leads/De Novo Drug Design, Drug Repurposing, and Response Biomarker Discovery|
|Leading AI Technology Vendors||Microsoft, Alphabet, and IBM among others|
|Leading Specialist AI Vendors||AbCellera, Atomwise, and Auransa among others|
|Leading Pharma adopters||AstraZeneca, Bristol Myers Squibb, and GSK among others|
For more insights on the AI in drug discovery report outlook, download a free report sample
AI in Drug Discovery Market Trends
The key trends that will shape the AI in drug discovery theme can be classified into four categories: healthcare trends, technology trends, macroeconomic trends, and regulatory trends.
- Healthcare trends – The key healthcare trends that will shape the AI in drug discovery theme are COVID-19 on digital transformation in pharma, the rising cost of R&D and dwindling pipelines, increasing availability of ultra-large datasets, increased need for open science in drug discovery, pharma companies building in-house AI capabilities, formation of industry consortia in AI, and role of AI in precision and personalized medicine.
- Technology trends – The report focuses on key technology trends impacting AI in drug discovery theme including the role of technology giants in AI-based drug discovery, big data, cloud, quantum computing, and cybersecurity.
- Macroeconomic trends – The key macroeconomic trends that will shape the AI in drug discovery theme are addressing AI skills shortages, increased AI partnerships in drug discovery, increased volume and value of AI-related funding deals in drug discovery, mergers and acquisitions (M&As), and China’s quest for AI dominance.
- Regulatory trends – The report highlights the key regulatory trends shaping the AI in drug discovery theme including the International Coalition of Medicines Regulatory Authorities (ICMRA) report on the use of AI to develop drugs, regulatory divergence, the European Commission (EC) white paper, and the proposed framework on AI, and the US leadership in AI.
For more insights on key trends shaping the AI in drug discovery theme, download a free report sample
AI in Drug Discovery – Industry Analysis
The pharma industry is slow when adopting new technologies such as AI. However, there has been increased activity over the past few years. Many more companies, including recognized leaders, are adopting AI as part of their digital transformation strategies. AI will be a key driver of healthcare innovation in the future through various applications that include management of chronic diseases, drug discovery and development, improvement of clinical trials, manufacturing, and supply chains. COVID-19 has been one of the reasons for the rapid innovation and investment in AI. Compared to pharma and medical device companies, GlobalData forecasts that healthcare providers will spend the most on AI platforms in 2024.
The AI in drug discovery market analysis also covers:
- Analysis of drugs discovered using AI
- Survey data on the adoption of AI in pharma
- Case studies
- Hiring trends
- Company filing trends
- Social media trends
Global AI Platform Revenue in Pharma, Medical, and Healthcare, 2019-2024
For more AI in drug discovery market analysis, download a free report sample
AI in Drug Discovery - Value Chain Analysis
The main applications of AI algorithms in drug discovery are the identification and validation of drug targets, virtual screening of compounds, de novo drug design, drug repurposing, and identification of treatment response biomarkers.
Drug discovery begins with the identification of drug targets, which are molecules that are inherently linked to a particular disease process. They should exhibit several features such as involvement in a crucial biological pathway, functionally and structurally characterized, and the ability to interact with drug-like compounds.
AI in Drug Discovery Value Chain
For more insights on the value chains of AI in drug discovery theme, download a free report sample
Leading AI Technology Vendors
Some of the leading technology vendors within the AI in drug discovery theme are:
Leading AI Specialists in Drug Discovery
Some of the leading AI specialists in drug discovery are:
Leading Pharma Adopters of AI in Drug Discovery
Some of the leading pharma adopters of AI in drug discovery are:
- Bristol Myers Squibb
To know more about leading AI in drug discovery companies, download a free report sample
Drug Development Scorecard – AI Theme
At GlobalData, we use a scorecard approach to predict tomorrow’s leading companies within each sector. Our sector scorecards have three screens: a thematic screen, a valuation screen, and a risk screen. The drug development scorecard has two screens:
- The thematic screen tells us who are the overall leaders in the 10 themes that matter most, based on our thematic engine.
- The valuation screen ranks our universe of companies within a sector based on selected valuation metrics.
Drug Development Scorecard: Thematic Screen
To know more about the development scorecard, download a free report sample
International Business Machines (IBM)
Table of Contents
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- Healthcare trends
- Technology trends
- Macroeconomic trends
- Regulatory trends
- Market size and growth forecasts
- Analysis of drugs discovered using AI
- Survey data on the adoption of AI in pharma
- Case studies
- Hiring trends
- Company filings trends
- Social media trends
- Target identification and validation
- Generation of molecule leads/de novo drug design
- Drug repurposing
- Response biomarker discovery
- Leading AI technology vendors
- Specialist AI vendors in drug discovery
- Leading pharma adopters of AI in drug discovery
Drug Development Scorecard
About the Authors
- Digital Healthcare Analyst
- Senior Director of Thematic Analysis
- Global Head and EVP of Healthcare Operations and Strategy
Our Thematic Research Methodology
Frequently asked questions
What are the key healthcare trends shaping the AI in drug discovery theme?
The key healthcare trends shaping the AI in drug discovery theme are COVID-19 on digital transformation in pharma, the rising cost of R&D and dwindling pipelines, increasing availability of ultra-large datasets, increased need for open science in drug discovery, pharma companies building in-house AI capabilities, formation of industry consortia in AI, and role of AI in precision and personalized medicine.
What are the key technology trends shaping the AI in drug discovery theme?
The key technology trends shaping the AI in drug discovery theme are the role of technology giants in AI-based drug discovery, big data, cloud, quantum computing, and cybersecurity.
What are the key macroeconomic trends shaping the AI in drug discovery theme?
The key macroeconomic trends shaping the AI in drug discovery theme are addressing AI skills shortages, increased AI partnerships in drug discovery, increased volume and value of AI-related funding deals in drug discovery, mergers and acquisitions (M&As), and China’s quest for AI dominance.
What are the key regulatory trends shaping the AI in drug discovery theme?
The key regulatory trends shaping the AI in drug discovery theme are the International Coalition of Medicines Regulatory Authorities (ICMRA) report on the use of AI to develop drugs, regulatory divergence, the European Commission (EC) white paper, and the proposed framework on AI, and US leadership in AI.
What are the components of the value chain of AI in the drug discovery theme?
GlobalData’s AI in drug discovery value chains can be divided into four segments: target identification and validation, generation of molecule leads/de novo drug design, drug repurposing, and response biomarker discovery.
Which companies are the leading technology vendors within the AI in drug discovery theme?
Some of the leading technology vendors within the AI in drug discovery theme are Microsoft, Alphabet, and IBM.
Which companies are leading specialists of AI in drug discovery theme?
Some of the specialists making their mark within AI in drug discovery theme are AbCellera, Atomwise, and Auransa.
Which companies are the leading pharma adopters of the AI in drug discovery theme?
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.