Canada Hydropower Market Analysis by Size, Installed Capacity, Power Generation, Regulations, Key Players and Forecast to 2035
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Canada Hydropower Market Report Overview
The cumulative capacity for hydropower in Canada was 83.1 GW in 2022. It is expected to achieve a CAGR of less than 1% during 2022-2035. The Canada Hydropower market research report offers comprehensive information and an understanding of the hydropower market in Canada. The report gives information on the different types of power sources available in the country.
Canada Hydropower Market Outlook, 2022-2035 (GW)
Buy Full Report for More Insights into the Canada Hydropower Market Forecast
The report discusses the hydropower market in the country and provides forecasts up to 2035. The report highlights installed capacity and power generation trends from 2010 to 2035 in the country’s hydropower market. The report also provides company snapshots of some of the major market participants.
|Cumulative Capacity (2022)||83.1 GW|
|Key Types||· Large Hydro and Pumped Storage
· Small Hydro
|Key Deal Types||· Debt Offerings
· Equity Offerings
· Asset Transactions
· Venture Financing
|Key Active Plants||· Lennox Generating Station
· Greenfield Energy Centre
· Napanee Generating Station
· Coleson Cove Generating Station
· Goreway Power Station
· Boundary Dam Power Station
· Shepard Energy Centre
· Halton Hills Generating Station
· Lingan Generating Station
· St. Clair Combined Cycle Power Plant
|Key Companies||· Ontario Power Generation Inc
· Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board
· Hydro One Ltd
· BC Hydro
|Enquire & Decide||Discover the perfect solution for your business needs. Enquire now and let us help you make an informed decision before making a purchase.|
Canada Hydropower Market Segmentation by Types
The key power generation types in the Canada hydropower market are large hydro & pumped storage and small hydro. Canadian large hydro and pumped storage led the hydropower market with a cumulative installed capacity of 78.6 GW in 2022.
Canada Hydropower Market Analysis by Types, 2022 (%)
Buy the Full Report for More Type Insights into the Canada Hydropower Market
Canada Hydropower Market Segmentation by Deal Types
The key deal types in the Canada hydropower market are debt offerings, equity offerings, asset transactions, acquisitions, mergers, partnerships, and venture financing. Most of the deals were closed via debt offerings in 2022.
Canada Hydropower Market Analysis by Deal Types, 2022 (%)
Buy the Full Report for More Deal Type Insights into the Canada Hydropower Market
Canada Hydropower Market - Major Active Plants
The major active plants in the Canada hydropower market are Lennox Generating Station, Greenfield Energy Centre, Napanee Generating Station, Coleson Cove Generating Station, Goreway Power Station, Boundary Dam Power Station, Shepard Energy Centre, Halton Hills Generating Station, Lingan Generating Station, and St. Clair Combined Cycle Power Plant. Lennox Generating Station leads the hydropower market in Canada with a total power generation capacity of 2.1 GW.
Canada Hydropower Market Analysis by Active Plants, 2023 (%)
Buy the Full Report for More Active Plant Insights into the Canada Hydropower Market
Canada Hydropower Market - Competitive Landscape
Some of the key companies in the Canada hydropower market are Ontario Power Generation Inc., Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board, Hydro-Quebec, Hydro One Ltd, and BC Hydro.
Ontario Power Generation Inc.: It is an electric utility that produces power using hydro, nuclear, and thermal sources. OPG also provides nuclear waste management and ancillary and detritylation services, dimensioning services for nuclear-generating stations and other facilities and sells heavy water and isotopes. OPG trades electricity, financial energy, financial risk management energy products, and energy-related products with counterparties in Ontario and neighboring energy markets.
Canada Hydropower Market Analysis by Companies
Buy the Full Report for More Company Insights into the Canada Hydropower Market
Segments Covered in the Report
Canada Hydropower Market Type Outlook (Value, GW, 2010-2035)
- Large Hydro and Pumped Storage
- Small Hydro
Canada Hydropower Market Deal Type Outlook (Value, GW, 2010-2035)
- Debt Offerings
- Equity Offerings
- Asset Transactions
- Venture Financing
The report includes:
- A brief introduction to global carbon emissions and global primary energy consumption.
- An overview of the country’s hydropower market, highlighting installed capacity trends, generation trends, and installed capacity split by various power sources.
- Detailed overview of the country’s hydropower market with installed capacity and generation trends, and major active and upcoming hydropower projects.
- Deal analysis of the country’s hydropower market.
- Snapshots of some of the major market participants in the country.
Reasons to Buy
- Enhance your decision-making capability in a more rapid and time-sensitive manner.
- Identify key growth and investment opportunities in the country’s hydropower market.
- Facilitate decision-making based on strong historical and forecast data for the hydropower market.
- Position yourself to gain the maximum advantage of the industry’s growth potential.
- Identify key partners and business development avenues.
- Understand and respond to your competitors’ business structure, strategy, and prospects.
Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction
- 1.1 Carbon Dioxide Emissions, Global, 2001–2022
- 1.2 Primary Energy Consumption, Global, 2001–2022
- 1.3 Report Guidance
- 2. Power Market, Canada
- 2.1 Power Market, Canada, Installed Capacity, 2010-2035
- – Power Market, Canada, Cumulative Installed Capacity by Source, 2010-2035
- – Power Market, Canada, Cumulative Capacity Share by Source, 2022 and 2035
- – Power Market, Canada, Capacity Addition by Source, 2023-2035
- – Power Market, Canada, Capacity Growth by Source, 2022-2035
- 2.2 Power Market, Canada, Power Generation, 2010-2035
- – Power Market, Canada, Power Generation by Source, 2010-2035
- – Power Market, Canada, Growth in Power Generation by Source, 2022-2035
- 3. Hydropower Market, Canada
- 3.1 Hydropower Market, Canada, Installed Capacity, 2010-2035
- – Hydropower Market, Canada, Cumulative Capacity by Type, 2010-2035
- 3.2 Hydropower Market, Canada, Power Generation, 2010-2035
- – Hydropower Market, Canada, Power Generation by Type, 2010-2035
- 3.3 Hydropower Market, Canada, Market Size, 2010-2030
- 3.4 Hydropower Market, Canada, Power Plants
- – Hydropower Market, Canada, Major Active Plants
- – Hydropower Market, Canada, Upcoming Plants
- – Hydropower Market, Canada, Major Plants Under Construction
- 3.5 Hydropower Market, Canada, Deal Analysis, 2022
- – Hydropower Market, Canada, Deal Volume and Deal Value, 2010–2022
- – Hydropower Market, Canada, Split by Deal Type, 2022
- 4. Hydropower Policy, Canada
- 4.1 Hydropower Policy, Canada, Overview
- – Net Metering
- – Clean Energy Strategy
- 5. Hydropower Market, Canada, Company Profiles
- 5.1 Ontario Power Generation Inc
- – Ontario Power Generation Inc – Company Overview
- – Ontario Power Generation Inc – Business Description
- – Ontario Power Generation Inc – SWOT Analysis
- – Ontario Power Generation Inc – Major Products and Services
- – Ontario Power Generation Inc – Head Office
- 5.2 Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board
- – Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board – Company Overview
- – Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board – Business Description
- – Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board – SWOT Analysis
- – Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board – Major Products and Services
- – Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board – Head Office
- 5.3 Hydro-Quebec
- – Hydro-Quebec – Company Overview
- – Hydro-Quebec – Business Description
- – Hydro-Quebec – SWOT Analysis
- – Hydro-Quebec – Major Products and Services
- – Hydro-Quebec – Head Office
- 5.4 Hydro One Ltd
- – Hydro One Ltd – Company Overview
- – Hydro One Ltd – Business Description
- – Hydro One Ltd – SWOT Analysis
- – Hydro One Ltd – Major Products and Services
- – Hydro One Ltd – Head Office
- 5.5 BC Hydro
- – BC Hydro – Company Overview
- – BC Hydro – Business Description
- – BC Hydro – SWOT Analysis
- – BC Hydro – Major Products and Services
- – BC Hydro – Head Office
- 6. Appendix
- 6.1 Abbreviations
- 6.2 Market Definitions
- – Power
- – Renewable Power
- – Installed Capacity
- – Electricity Generation
- – Electricity Consumption
- 6.3 Methodology
- – Coverage
- – Secondary Research
- – Primary Research
- – Modelling and Forecasting
- 7. Contact Us
Frequently asked questions
What was the Canada hydropower market cumulative capacity in 2022?
The cumulative capacity for hydropower in Canada was 83.1 GW in 2022.
What is the Canada hydropower market growth rate?
The Canada hydropower market is expected to achieve a CAGR of less than 1% during 2022-2035.
Which was the leading type in the Canadian hydropower market?
Most hydropower generation in Canada was done using large hydro and pumped storage technology in 2022.
Which was the leading deal type in the Canada hydropower market?
Most of the deals were closed via debt offerings in the Canadian hydropower market in 2022.
What are the major active plants in the Canada hydropower market?
The major active plants in the Canada hydropower market are Lennox Generating Station, Greenfield Energy Centre, Napanee Generating Station, Coleson Cove Generating Station, Goreway Power Station, Boundary Dam Power Station, Shepard Energy Centre, Halton Hills Generating Station, Lingan Generating Station, and St. Clair Combined Cycle Power Plant
Which are the key companies in the Canada hydropower market?
Some of the key companies in the Canadian hydropower market are Ontario Power Generation Inc., Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board, Hydro-Quebec, Hydro One Ltd, and BC Hydro.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.