The term ‘directed energy weapon’ (DEW) is a nomenclature that encompasses various weapons systems that function by producing a beam of concentrated atomic/subatomic particles or electromagnetic energy to ‘fire’ on a target. Following years of continuous research and development, directed energy weapons (DEW) are now rapidly transitioning from the sphere of experimental technologies to the actual battlefield as it reaches a sufficient level of maturity to warrant deployment. Indeed, as DEW technologies begin to see more extensive testing and operational deployments, strategists and operators are identifying new opportunities and challenges that this technology has the potential to address.
The directed energy weapons thematic intelligence report provides a briefing on the theme with a detailed analysis of market opportunity, and factors driving its development and adoption. The report also presents key technology, macroeconomic and regulatory trends impacting the theme. Further, the report outlines the advances in technology and key programs and provides insight into current procurement and research trends.
Directed Energy Weapons Market Analysis
The global directed energy weapons spending was $4.1 billion in 2020. The increasing integration of DEWs with land, air, and naval warfare platforms, coupled with growing investment in research & development activities, are major drivers for the directed energy weapons market. Countries such as the US, the UK, China, Russia, Israel, India, Turkey, and South Korea have been developing DEWs based on high-energy lasers and high-power microwave and sonic wave energy with increasing consistency, as each seeks to achieve transformative and reliable capabilities that will ensure their strategic deterrence or dominance over the coming decades.
The industry analysis section also covers:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Patent trends
- Case Studies
The main trends shaping the directed energy weapons theme are classified into three categories: technology trends, macroeconomic trends, and regulatory trends.
- Technology trends – The key technology trends impacting the directed energy weapons theme are unmanned technologies – platform integration, hypersonic missiles, dew countermeasures, multi-role systems and platforms, space warfare, beam combining, and short-range air defense.
- Macroeconomic trends – The report analyses macroeconomic trends impacting the directed energy weapons theme, including ESG and cost-saving and rising defense budgets.
- Regulatory trends – The report highlights the key regulatory trends impacting the directed energy weapons theme, including anti-personnel lasers, utilization of DEW for law enforcement missions, and collateral damage.
For more insights on key trends impacting the directed energy weapons, download a free report sample
Directed Energy Weapons Value Chain Analysis
The various sub-markets (laser weapons systems, high powered microwave weapons, and others) and chains are categorized based on the type of DEW, with the addition of the systems integrators value chain highlighting opportunities for defense companies with limited technical experience in DEW manufacturing to access the wider DEW market through reliance on broader areas of expertise.
Directed Energy Weapons Value Chain
To unlock the directed energy weapons value chain, download a free report sample
Leading Companies in the Directed Energy Weapons Theme
Some of the companies making their mark within the directed energy weapons market are:
- BAE Systems
- General Atomics (GA)
- General Dynamics
- Lockheed Martin
- Northrop Grumman
To know more about leading companies in the directed energy weapons market, download a free report sample
Aerospace, Defense, & Security Sector Scorecard – Directed Energy Weapons Theme
At GlobalData, we use a scorecard approach to predict tomorrow’s leading companies within each sector. Our sector scorecards have three screens: a thematic screen, a valuation screen, and a risk screen.
- The thematic screen ranks companies based on overall leadership in the 10 themes that matter most to their industry, generating a leading indicator of future performance.
- The valuation screen ranks our universe of companies within a sector based on selected valuation metrics.
- The risk screen ranks companies within a particular sector based on overall investment risk.
Aerospace, Defense, & Security Sector Scorecard – Thematic Screen
To unlock the directed energy weapons sector scorecards, download a free report sample
Directed Energy Weapons Theme Overview
|Directed Energy Weapons Market Size 2020||$4.1 billion|
|Trends||Technology, Macroeconomic, and Regulatory|
|Categorization||Laser Weapons Systems (LWS), Particle Beam Weapons (PBW), High-Power Microwave Weapons (HPMW), and High-Power Sonic Weapons (HPSW)|
|Value Chains||Laser Weapons Systems, High Powered Microwave Weapons, High Powered Sonic Weapons, Particle Beam Weapons, and System Integrators|
|Leading Companies||BAE Systems, Boeing, Dynetics, Genasys, General Atomics (GA), General Dynamics, Leidos, Lockheed Martin, MBDA, and Northrop Grumman|
- Studies of emerging technological trends and their broader impact on the defense market.
- Analysis of the various directed energy weapons programs currently under development, as well historical directed energy research initiatives.
Studies of emerging technological trends and their broader impact on the defense market.
Analysis of the various directed energy weapons programs currently under development, as well historical directed energy research initiatives.
Reasons to Buy
- Determine potential investment companies based on trend analysis and market projections.
- Gaining an understanding of the market challenges and opportunities surrounding the directed energy weapons theme.
- Understanding how spending on directed energy weapons will fit into the overall market and which spending areas are being prioritized.
Table of Contents
Types of directed energy weapons
Directed energy weapons in combat
Market size and growth forecasts
Mergers and acquisitions
Laser weapons systems
High powered microwave weapons
High powered sonic weapons
Particle beam weapons
Aerospace, defense & security sector scorecard
Our Thematic Research Methodology