High-altitude platform systems (HAPS) are autonomous aerial vehicles that fly at very high altitudes in the stratosphere. There are three types of vehicles that together comprise the HAPS currently under development. These are aerostatic balloons, aerostatic airships, and aerodynamic fixed-wing aircraft. The platforms are commonly composed of airframes, power systems, and various payloads, dependent on the intended mission.
The road to the widescale deployment of HAPS in defense, civil, and commercial roles has not been smooth. Leading tech companies including Alphabet and Facebook (now Meta) have seen their efforts fall by the wayside, with Alphabet’s Loon and Facebook’s Aquila closure in 2021 and 2016, respectively. However, the continued persistent investment sector receives, despite these setbacks, is ultimately a testament to its potential.
HAPS thematic research report provides an overview of the high-altitude platform systems theme, outlining advances in technology and key programs, highlighting emerging market trends and providing insight into current procurement or research trends.
HAPS Industry Analysis
The HAPS market is still in a nascent stage, with platforms just now reaching maturity. However, the sector is receiving persistent investment with defense, commercial, and civil applications continuing to drive parallel development. HAPS use cases and implementation scenarios will differ based on local market requirements, the regulatory situation, geography, economic development, and other parameters specific to each deployment. There is unlikely to be an one-size-fits-all solution. Different operational and business models will be required for emergency services than for the provision of permanent and continuous coverage over a certain area.
The HAPS industry analysis also covers:
- Key mergers & acquisitions
- Use cases
HAPS Market Overview
For more HAPS market analysis, download a free report sample
Key Trends Impacting the HAPS
The main trends shaping the HAPS theme are classified into three categories: technology trends, macroeconomic trends, and regulatory trends.
- Technology Trends – The key technology trends impacting the HAPS are developments related to composites, artificial intelligence, solar power, hydrogen fuel cells, instrument miniaturization, and thermal management.
- Macroeconomic Trends – The report analyses several macroeconomic trends impacting the HAPS, including the ‘last billion’ and defense applications.
- Regulatory Trends – The report highlights the key regulatory trends impacting the HAPS theme concerning legal definition, (space vs. aerospace object), launch and recovery, aviation regulations, and spectrum regulations.
For more insights on key trends impacting the HAPS, download a free report sample
HAPS Value Chain Analysis
GlobalData’s HAPS value chain is split into three layers: market layer, segment layer, and component layer.
The market layer comprises military, civil, consumer, and commercial.
The segment layer comprises HALE, MALE, TUAV, sUAS, and HAPS.
The component layer provides the hardware devices that enable users to enter the HAPS.
HAPS Value Chain
For more insights on market value chain, download a free report sample
Leading Companies Associated with HAPS
Some of the companies making their mark within the HAPS theme:
- BAE Systems
- Bharti Airtel
- Capgemini Engineering
- Deutsche Telekom
To know more about leading companies in the HAPS market, download a free report sample
HAPS Sector Scorecard
GlobalData uses a scorecard approach to predict tomorrow’s leading companies within each sector. The sector scorecards help to determine which companies are best positioned for a future filled with disruptive threats. Each sector scorecard has three screens:
- The thematic screen ranks companies based on overall leadership in the 10 themes that matter most to their industry, generating a leading indicator of future performance.
- The valuation screen ranks our universe of companies within a sector based on selected valuation metrics.
- The risk screen ranks universe of companies within a sector based on selected valuation metrics.
HAPS is a theme that impacts many of the 17 technology, media, and telecom (TMT) sectors we cover. In this section, we focus specifically on the defense sector.
Defense Sector Scorecard – Thematic Screen
To know more about sector scorecards related to HAPS market, download a free report sample
HAPS Market Report Overview
|HAPS Trends||Technology, Macroeconomic, Regulatory|
|Categories of HAPS||Aerostatic Airships, Aerostatic Balloon, and Aerodynamic Aircraft|
|Leading Companies in the HAPS||Airbus, Amprius, BAE Systems, Bharti Airtel, Boeing, Capgemini Engineering, Deutsche Telekom, and Ericsson|
- The key technological challenges that operators and developers face are covered.
- The investment opportunities for civil, commercial and defense applications in the HAPS value chain are covered.
- Highlights from the range different development programs currently being undertaken by various firms.
Reasons to Buy
- Determine potential investment companies based on trend analysis and market projections.
- Gaining an understanding of the market challenges and opportunities surrounding the High Altitude Platform Systems theme
Gilat Satellite Networks
Kratos Defense & Security Solutions
SKY Perfect JSAT
Aurora Flight Sciences
Kraus Hamdani Aerospace
TAO Trans Atmospheric Operations
Thales Alenia Space
Table of Contents
Our Thematic Research Methodology
List of Tables
Mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures
List of Figures
HAPS – Leading Players
The architecture of a HAPS network
HAPS market overview
HAPS Alliance members
Regenerative fuel cell system process diagram
• Global Defense Market Forecast (Domain)
• Global Fixed-wing Aircraft Market
• Global Rotary-wing Aircraft Market
•The communications value chain
•The software value chain
• The HAPS timeline
• The HAPS value chain
• The airframe value chain
• The power plants value chain
• The payloads value chain
• The C2 value chain
• Sector Scorecard – Who’s Who
• Sector Scorecard – Thematic Screen
• Sector Scorecard – Valuation
• Sector Scorecard – Risk screen
Frequently Asked Questions
High-altitude platform systems (HAPS) are autonomous aerial vehicles which fly at very high altitudes in the stratosphere.
The key technology trends impacting the HAPS are developments related to composites, artificial intelligence, solar power, hydrogen fuel cells, instrument miniaturization, and thermal management.
The macroeconomic trends impacting the HAPS are the ‘last billion’ and defense applications.
The regulatory trends impacting the HAPS theme are legal definition, (space vs. aerospace object), launch and recovery, aviation regulations, and spectrum regulations.
The value chains of HAPS can be divided into three segments: market layer, segment layer, and component layer.
Some of the companies making their mark within the HAPS theme are Airbus, Amprius, BAE Systems, Bharti Airtel, Boeing, Capgemini Engineering, Deutsche Telekom, and Ericsson
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Personal and transaction information are kept safe from unauthorised use.