India Hydropower Market Analysis by Size, Installed Capacity, Power Generation, Regulations, Key Players and Forecast to 2035
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
India Hydropower Market Report Overview
The cumulative capacity for hydropower in India was 51.8 GW in 2022. The Indian hydropower market is anticipated to garner a CAGR of more than 2% during the projected period.
India Hydropower Market Outlook 2022-2035
Buy the Full Report to Gain More Information on the India Hydropower Market Forecast, Download A Free Report Sample
The report offers comprehensive information and understanding of the hydropower market in India. The report gives information on the different types of power sources available in the country. The report discusses the hydropower market in the country and provides forecasts up to 2035. The report highlights installed capacity and power generation trends from 2010 to 2035 in the country’s hydropower market. The report also provides company snapshots of some of the major market participants.
|Cumulative Capacity (2022)||51.8GW|
|Key Power Generation Type||· Large Hydro and Pumped Storage
· Small Hydro
|Key Active Plans||· Koyna
· Nathpa Jhakri
· Teesta III
· Sardar Sarovar – River Bed
|Key Deal Types||· Debt Offerings
· Equity Offerings
· Asset Transactions
· Private Equity
|Leading Players||· The Tata Power Co Ltd
· NHPC Ltd
· Karnataka Power Corporation Ltd
· JSW Energy Ltd
· Damodar Valley Corp
|Enquire and Decide||Discover the perfect solution for your business needs. Enquire now and let us help you make an informed decision before making a purchase.|
India Hydropower Market Segmentation by Type
The key power generation types in the Indian hydropower market were large hydro and pumped storage and small hydro. In 2022, the large hydro and pumped storage segment accounted for the largest Indian hydropower technologies in terms of capacity.
India Hydropower Market Analysis by Type, 2022 (%)
For More Insights into the India Hydropower Market Segments, Download A Free Report Sample
India Hydropower Market Segmentation by Active Plants
Some of the most active plants in the Indian hydropower market are Koyna, Nathpa Jhakri, Bhakra, Teesta III, and Sardar Sarovar – River Bed among others. In 2023, the Koyna plant has the highest hydropower production capacity in India.
India Hydropower Market Analysis by Active Plants, 2023 (%)
For More Active Plants Insights into the India Hydropower Market, Download A Free Report Sample
India Hydropower Market Segmentation by Deal Types
The key deal types in the India Hydropower market are debt offerings, acquisitions, equity offerings, asset transactions, partnerships, and private equity. Based on deal type, the India hydropower market was dominated by debt offerings in 2022.
India Hydropower Market Analysis by Deal Types, 2022 (%)
For More Deal Type Insights into the India Hydropower Market, Download A Free Report Sample
India Hydropower Market - Competitive Landscape
Some of the leading players in the India Hydropower market are Tata Power Co. Ltd, NHPC Ltd, Karnataka Power Corporation Ltd, JSW Energy Ltd, and Damodar Valley Corp.
Tata Power Co Ltd: It, formerly Tata Electric, is an integrated power utility that generates, transmits, and distributes electricity. Its power generation facilities include thermal power plants, hydro, solar power plants, and wind generation facilities. The company also offers operation and maintenance, project management, technical and quality audit, coal and freight logistics, consultancy, and gas-insulated switchgear hi-pot and field-testing services. It supplies power to bulk consumers including railways, ports, refineries, textile mills, fertilizer factories, municipal corporations, water pumping plants, and other major industries.
India Hydropower Market Players
To Know More About Leading India Hydropower Market Players, Download A Free Report Sample
Key Segments Covered in this Report.
India Hydropower Power Generation Type Outlook (GW, 2010-2035)
- Large Hydro and Pumps
- Small Hydro
India Hydropower Power Generation Deal Types Outlook (GW, 2010-2035)
- Debt Offerings
- Equity Offerings
- Asset Transactions
- Private Equity
The report analyses India’s hydropower market. The scope of the research includes –
- A brief introduction to global carbon emissions and global primary energy consumption.
- An overview of the country’s hydropower market, highlighting installed capacity trends (2010-2035), generation trends (2010-2035), and installed capacity split by various power sources.
- Detailed overview of the country’s hydropower market with installed capacity and generation trends, and major active and upcoming hydropower projects.
- Deal analysis of the country’s hydropower market.
- Snapshots of some of the major market participants in the country.
Reasons to Buy
- Enhance your decision-making capability in a more rapid and time-sensitive manner.
- Identify key growth and investment opportunities in the country’s hydropower market.
- Facilitate decision-making based on strong historic and forecast data for the hydropower market.
- Position yourself to gain the maximum advantage of the industry’s growth potential.
- Identify key partners and business development avenues.
- Understand and respond to your competitors’ business structure, strategy, and prospects
Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction
- 1.1 Carbon Dioxide Emissions, Global, 2001–2022
- 1.2 Primary Energy Consumption, Global, 2001–2022
- 1.3 Report Guidance
- 2. Power Market, India
- 2.1 Power Market, India, Installed Capacity, 2010-2035
- – Power Market, India, Cumulative Installed Capacity by Source, 2010-2035
- – Power Market, India, Cumulative Capacity Share by Source, 2022 and 2035
- – Power Market, India, Capacity Addition by Source, 2023-2035
- – Power Market, India, Capacity Growth by Source, 2022-2035
- 2.2 Power Market, India, Power Generation, 2010-2035
- – Power Market, India, Power Generation by Source, 2010-2035
- – Power Market, India, Growth in Power Generation by Source, 2022-2035
- 3. Hydropower Market, India
- 3.1 Hydropower Market, India, Installed Capacity, 2010-2035
- – Hydropower Market, India, Cumulative Capacity by Type, 2010-2035
- 3.2 Hydropower Market, India, Power Generation, 2010-2035
- – Hydropower Market, India, Power Generation by Type, 2010-2035
- 3.3 Hydropower Market, India, Market Size, 2010-2030
- 3.4 Hydropower Market, India, Power Plants
- – Hydropower Market, India, Major Active Plants
- – Hydropower Market, India, Upcoming Plants
- – Hydropower Market, India, Major Plants Under Construction
- 3.5 Hydropower Market, India, Deal Analysis, 2022
- – Hydropower Market, India, Deal Volume and Deal Value, 2010–2022
- – Hydropower Market, India, Split by Deal Type, 2022
- 4. Hydropower Policy, India
- 4.1 Overview
- 4.2 Electricity Act of 2003
- 4.3 Draft Electricity (Amendment) Bill, 2020
- 4.4 Memorandum- “Make in India” for Local Content in Renewable Energy Products
- 4.5 Feed-in-Tariffs for Small Hydro
- – Renewable status to large hydro plant above 25 MW, 2019
- – Small Hydropower Mission
- 5. Hydropower Power Market, India, Company Profiles
- 5.1 The Tata Power Co Ltd
- – The Tata Power Co Ltd – Company Overview
- – The Tata Power Co Ltd – Business Description
- – The Tata Power Co Ltd – SWOT Analysis
- – The Tata Power Co Ltd – Major Products and Services
- – The Tata Power Co Ltd – Head Office
- 5.2 NHPC Ltd
- – NHPC Ltd – Company Overview
- – NHPC Ltd – Business Description
- – NHPC Ltd – SWOT Analysis
- – NHPC Ltd – Major Products and Services
- – NHPC Ltd – Head Office
- 5.3 Karnataka Power Corporation Ltd
- – Karnataka Power Corporation Ltd – Company Overview
- – Karnataka Power Corporation Ltd – Business Description
- – Karnataka Power Corporation Ltd – SWOT Analysis
- – Karnataka Power Corporation Ltd – Major Products and Services
- – Karnataka Power Corporation Ltd – Head Office
- 5.4 JSW Energy Ltd
- – JSW Energy Ltd – Company Overview
- – JSW Energy Ltd – Business Description
- – JSW Energy Ltd – SWOT Analysis
- – JSW Energy Ltd – Major Products and Services
- – JSW Energy Ltd – Head Office
- 5.5 Damodar Valley Corp
- – Damodar Valley Corp – Company Overview
- – Damodar Valley Corp – Business Description
- – Damodar Valley Corp – SWOT Analysis
- – Damodar Valley Corp – Major Products and Services
- – Damodar Valley Corp – Head Office
- 6. Appendix
- 6.1 Abbreviations
- 6.2 Market Definitions
- – Power
- – Renewable Power
- – Installed Capacity
- – Electricity Generation
- – Electricity Consumption
- 6.3 Methodology
- – Coverage
- – Secondary Research
- – Primary Research
- – Modelling and Forecasting
- Contact Us
Frequently asked questions
What was the India hydropower market cumulative capacity in 2022?
The cumulative capacity for hydropower in India was 51.8 GW in 2022.
What is the anticipated India hydropower market growth during the forecast period?
The Indian hydropower market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of more than 2% over the forecast period.
Which power generation type dominated the Indian hydropower market in 2022?
The large hydro and pumped storage power generation type dominated the Indian hydropower market.
Which is the leading active plant in the Indian hydropower market?
In 2023, Koyna plant is the largest hydropower production capacity plant in India.
Which deal type accounted for the maximum share in India's Hydropower market?
Debt offerings dominated the India hydropower market share in 2022.
Which are the leading companies in the Indian hydropower market?
Some of the leading Hydropower companies in India are The Tata Power Co Ltd, NHPC Ltd, Karnataka Power Corporation Ltd, JSW Energy Ltd, and Damodar Valley Corp.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.