International Wholesale Carriers – Ecosystem Players’ Evolution: Mergers & Acquisitions, Open Initiatives, and Potential New Entrants in the Digital Transformation Era
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
"International Wholesale Carriers – Ecosystem Players’ Evolution: Mergers & Acquisitions, Open Initiatives, and Potential New Entrants in the Digital Transformation Era", a thematic research report by GlobalData, lays out key strategies wholesale providers and major Internet players have been harnessing to meet the changing requirements of the wholesale market in the digital transformation era.
Global wholesale carriers are under pressure to accelerate the rollout of new services, reduce exposure to voice and migrate to new agile business models. Alongside traditional international wholesale players, global Internet players (including cloud and content providers) are also experiencing rising international bandwidth requirements for their services.
In this report, we explore three key strategies international wholesale providers and global Internet players are deploying to meet the rapidly evolving marketplace – M&As, open ecosystem initiatives and global Internet players turning into their own wholesale providers.
Wholesale ecosystem players are racing to cut exposure to wholesale voice, expand services portfolio and serve new forms of demand. These market requirements are prompting wholesale ecosystem players to evolve, harnessing a set of strategies ranging from M&As to open ecosystem initiatives and Internet companies investing in their own international capacity.
The report is structured as follows –
– Section 1: Market Context; an overview of the main transformative trends shaping the international wholesale market and prompting the transformation of the wholesale players' ecosystem.
– Section 2: The Evolving Global Wholesale Player Ecosystem; an analysis of three key strategies wholesale ecosystem players are harnessing to meet the marketplace's evolving requirements – M&As, open ecosystems and global Internet players turning into their own wholesale providers.
– Section 3: Case Studies; provides four international wholesale providers M&A case studies and one case study of a major Internet player having invested substantially in its own undersea cable capacity. This section analyses the key drivers and rationale behind these moves and how these can help wholesale players meet the requirements of the wholesaler of the future.
– Section 4: Findings and recommendations; we conclude the report with a set of key findings and recommendations for international wholesale ecosystem players to help them evolve and meet the requirements of the digital transformation era.
– M&As can help global wholesalers expand the depth of their product portfolio, the reach of their networks and most critically their addressable markets.
– Open platforms can be used as a strategy to lower the barrier to entry and time-to-market of developing a new digital service or capability.
– Given their scale, global Internet players can increasingly consider the opportunity of fully/partially investing in their own undersea cables and cloud connectivity capabilities to better control the QoS and margins of the services they render to end users.
Reasons to Buy
– This Thematic report provides a comprehensive examination of three key international wholesale ecosystem players' evolution strategies to meet the requirements of the digital transformation era. The report objective is to help industry executives fully understand the drivers, benefits and implications of each strategy – M&As, joining open ecosystem platforms and global Internet players investing in their own undersea cables capacity.
– Five case studies illustrate the findings of the report, providing insights into the key international wholesale ecosystem players' evolution strategies; this will help industry executives understand the drivers, benefits/implications of industry M&As and global Internet players investing in their own undersea cable capacity and how these can be leveraged to meet the evolving market requirements.
– The report analyses the concrete drivers & benefits of each evolution strategy in terms of elements such as services portfolio expansion, gaining access to new digital capabilities, customers base strengthening, increased value chain control and costs/sales synergies.
– With more than 15 exhibits, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, to help them understand and determine the adequate evolution strategies for their global wholesale business.
Optic Zoo Networks
Vodafone Carrier Services
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Table of contents 3
List of exhibits 5
Executive summary 6
Section 1: Market context 7
Winds of change in the global wholesale market 8
Section 2: The evolving global wholesale player ecosystem 9
Three key trends 10
Open ecosystems 12
Internet players 13
Section 3: Case studies 14
Liquid Telecom’s acquisition of Neotel and Raha 15
Tofane’s acquisition of iBasis and Altice 17
CenturyLink’s acquisition of Level 3 19
PCCW’s acquisition of Console Connect 21
Google’s investments in undersea cables 23
Section 4: Key takeaways and recommendations 25
Acronyms and definitions 28
Companies mentioned 30
About the authors 31
Related research 33
Contact information 34
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.