The beer market in Ireland was valued at 2,441.9 LCU million in 2020 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of more than 3% during the period 2021-2026. The Irish cider market was valued at 370.5 LCU million in 2020 and will grow at a CAGR of over 2% during the forecast period. The beer and cider market in the country declined in 2020 due to the COVID-19 impact. Beer is set to outperform cider in terms of volume growth during the forecast period.
Beer represented the largest category share in 2020 in the Irish beer and cider market. Lager accounted for the largest share of beer volume sales in 2020, followed by Stout. Per capita consumption of beer is very high in Ireland as the drink is generally considered a part of the country’s culture.
Overview of beer market in Ireland
For more insights on this report, download a free report sample
What is the beer and cider market dynamics in Ireland?
The enforcement of lockdown restrictions in 2020 had a hugely negative impact on the on-premise consumption of beer cider, particularly in bars. Consumers deliberately avoided visiting pubs and bars as a safety measure. The sale of Irish beer is heavily reliant on on-premise channels. Bars across the country either remained closed or were allowed to operate with reduced capacity and COVID-19 safety protocols in place, impacting the volume sales.
The health wellness trend has been firmly gaining ground in Ireland. As a result, an increasing number of consumers are opting for no and low alcohol beers. This change in consumption behavior was triggered by the growing healthy living trend in Ireland which was further accelerated by the COVID-19 pandemic. This had resulted in a decline in the strong and regular strength alcohol segment. Subsequently, demand for no alcohol strength beers gained pace in Ireland in 2020. The trend is expected to continue to grow among other age groups as well as millennials.
Growing digital lifestyles helped e-commerce to develop rapidly, especially in 2020. To protect themselves from becoming infected, Irish consumers cut down on their visits to physical stores and preferred the e-commerce route for the purchase of beer and cider in 2020. Manufacturers are actively cooperating with online platforms and increasing their digital footprint to expand their business in this ‘new normal’.
What are the category classifications in Ireland’s beer and cider market?
In 2020, beer represented the highest category share in Ireland’s beer and cider market. Beer sales fell as a result of the closure of bars and pubs due to lockdown restrictions. The closure of bars and the decline in tourist numbers had a negative impact on cider sales in 2020. Furthermore, low and no alcohol beer and ciders will prove to be key enablers of growth in the coming years. Health-conscious consumers may also lean towards hard seltzers, which typically contain considerably fewer calories.
Beer market in Ireland
Based on beer type, the market is segmented into lager, flavored beer, ale, wheat beer, stout, and other top fermented beer. Lager remained the most consumed beer type in the Irish market in 2020, accounting highest volume share. The wheat beer type posted the highest CAGR during 2015-2020, followed by flavored beer. In 2020, zero alcohol variants gained significant traction. As a result, producers invested more in the marketing and manufacture of such products. Craft beers had been increasing in popularity in recent years which can be attributed to these beverages’ ‘local’ appeal, which is associated with high quality. These products are also deemed to offer flavors specifically designed for local consumers and their lifestyles.
Cider market in Ireland
By cider type, the market segmentation includes flavored cider, apple cider, and pear cider. Cider volumes posted an annual decline in 2020 as consumers in Ireland continued to reduce their consumption of alcohol for health reasons. Apple cider was the biggest segment in the cider market and recorded the most severe decline of any cider category in terms of volume increment. In 2020, apple was the dominant cider flavor in both volume and value terms.
Beer and cider market in Ireland, by category
For more segment insights, download a free report sample
What are the distribution channel classifications in the Irish beer and cider market?
Based on the distribution channel, the market is segmented into on-premise and off-premise distribution channels. On-premise sales fell significantly due to the enforcement of lockdown restrictions leading to the closure of pubs and bars for a substantial part of 2020. Despite staying at home more, Irish consumers made frequent purchases in off-premise channels in 2020. These purchases included essential items but also many non-essential items, with some consumers seeking to recreate the feeling of drinking out in their own home while bars remained closed.
Beer and cider market in Ireland, by distribution channel
For more channel insights, download a free report sample
Who are the major players in Ireland’s beer and cider market?
In 2020, Diageo Ireland accounted for a majority of the share in Ireland’s beer and cider market followed by Heineken Ireland, C&C Ireland, Molson Coors Ireland, and C&C Gleeson. Under the beer category, the top three brands – Guinness, Heineken, and Coors – constituted majority share (both by value and volume) in 2020. Besides, under the cider category, Bulmers brand held the largest share in the market during the same period.
Beer and cider market in Ireland, by key players
To know more about key players, download a free report sample
|Market size (Year – 2020) – By Value – Beer Market||2,441.9 LCU million|
|Growth rate – By Value – Beer Market||CAGR of >3% from 2021 to 2026|
|Market size (Year – 2020) – By Value – Cider Market||370.5 LCU million|
|Growth rate – By Value – Cider Market||CAGR of >2% from 2021 to 2026|
|Base year for estimation||2020|
|Segmentation by Category||Beer and Cider|
|Segmentation by Distribution Channel||On-premise and Off-premise|
|Key players||Diageo Ireland, Heineken Ireland, C&C Ireland, Molson Coors Ireland, C&C Gleeson, Comans Wholesome Ltd, Richmond Marketing|
Covering total market (on and off-premise) the report details –
- 2016-2020 actual detailed beer consumption volume data by segment, brand, brewer, packaging and distribution (on and off-premise), with 2021 forecasts.
- Value by distribution channel 2016-2020, with 2021 forecasts.
- Overview of the competitive landscape in the beer and cider market, with analysis of key company performance.
- Insightful and valuable analysis of the drivers behind both current and emerging trends in the beer and cider market.
- What is Ireland’s beer market size in 2020?
- The beer market in Ireland was valued at 2,441.9 LCU million in 2020.
- What is Ireland’s beer market growth rate?
- The beer market in Ireland is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of more than 3% during the period 2021-2026.
- What is Ireland’s cider market size in 2020?
- The cider market in Ireland was valued at 370.5 LCU million in 2020.
- What is Ireland’s cider market growth rate?
- The cider market in Ireland is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of more than 2% during the forecast period.
- What are the key categories in Ireland’s beer and cider market?
- Key categories in Ireland’s beer market include lager, flavored beer, ale, wheat beer, stout, and other top fermented beer. The cider market comprises flavored cider, apple cider, and pear cider.
- Who are the key players in Ireland’s beer and cider market?
- In 2020, Diageo Ireland accounted for a majority of the share in Ireland’s beer and cider market followed by Heineken Ireland, C&C Ireland, Molson Coors Ireland, and C&C Gleeson.
- What are the major brands in Ireland’s beer and cider market?
- Guinness is the leading beer brand in Ireland while Bulmer is the leading cider brand.
- What type of packaging materials are used in beer and cider market in Ireland?
- Metal was the most commonly used pack material in the beer and cider market in Ireland in 2020, followed by glass and PET .
Reasons to Buy
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Ireland beer and cider industry, from the latest competitive intelligence of both historical and forecast trends to enhance your corporate strategic planning.
- Evaluate the current emerging trends and future growth opportunities in the Ireland beer and cider market to support your brand development and marketing initiatives.
- Understand volume vs. value trends and identify the key growth opportunities across the super-premium, premium, mainstream and discount segments to best target profitability.
- Analyze domestic and imported beer brand performance and determine the key trends driving consumption preference to develop a competitive advantage.
- Interrogate the unique granularity of our data to analyze the market on a variety of levels to make well-informed decisions on future threats and growth prospects in the marketplace for your company.
Table of Contents
COVID 19 Beer & Cider Recovery
Industry Snapshot Forecast
Industry Snapshot Share & Per Capita Consumption
Beer & Cider Volume and Value Growth Projections
Enablers and Inhibitors of Beer & Cider Growth
Category and Segment Insight
Beer & Cider Winners and Losers
Beer Category Overview
Beer Beer Type Evolution
Flavor Segment Dynamics Beer
Craft Beer Segment Dynamics
Cider Category Overview
Cider Cider Type Evolution
Flavor Segment Dynamics Cider
Craft Cider Segment Dynamics
Brand vs. Private Label Dynamics
Alcoholic Strength Segment Dynamics
Beer Emerging Trends & Opportunities
Cider Emerging Trends & Opportunities
Company and Brand Insight
Leading Company Volume and Value Performance
Leading Company Profiles
Tier 2 Companies Key Callouts
Beer Brand and Private Label Trends
Cider Brand and Private Label Trends
Brand Spotlight How to Win
Job Analytics Themes Evolution and Total Jobs
On vs. Off Premise Evolution in Beer & Cider
On Premise Snapshot
Off Premise Snapshot
Sub Channel Evolution in Beer & Cider
Off Premise Channels Key Winner & Loser
Packaging Material Snapshot
Packaging Type Snapshot
Influences on Packaging
Key Consumer Trends
Strategic Issues Summary Map
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Every customer’s requirement is unique. We understand that and can customize the report basis your exact research requirements pertaining to market insights, innovation insights, strategy and planning, and competitive intelligence. You can also avail the option of purchasing stand-alone sections of the report or request for a country specific report.
Personal and transaction information are kept safe from unauthorised use.
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.