Malaysia Cigarettes Market Analysis and Forecast by Segments, Distribution Channel, Competitive Landscape and Consumer Segmentation, 2021-2026
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Malaysia Cigarettes Market Report Overview
The Malaysia cigarettes market size was MYR4.89 billion ($1,182.4 million) in 2021 and is expected to decrease at a CAGR of more than 1% during 2021-2026. The tobacco business in Malaysia does not appear to have promising futures as total volumes are predicted to drop from 2021 to 2026. The industry is expected to post value growth which can be attributed to price increases majorly driven by increases in taxes on tobacco products.
The Malaysia cigarettes market research report provides a comprehensive overview of the tobacco sector in Malaysia.
Malaysia Cigarettes Market Outlook
For more insights into the Malaysia cigarettes market forecast, download a free report sample
Malaysia Cigarettes Market Segmentation by Categories
The key categories in the Malaysia cigarettes market are filter cigarettes and plain cigarettes. The filter cigarettes category was the largest in the market. Filter cigarettes can be further categorized into filter cigarettes 100s, filter cigarettes king size, filter cigarettes regular, and other filter cigarettes. Likewise, plain cigarettes can be further categorized into plain cigarettes regular and other plain cigarettes.
Malaysia Cigarettes Market Analysis, by Categories
For more category insights into the Malaysia cigarettes market, download a free report sample
Malaysia Cigarettes Market Segmentation by Distribution Channels
The key distribution channels in the Malaysia cigarettes market are tobacco specialists, convenience stores, hypermarkets & supermarkets, cash & carries and warehouse clubs, and department stores. Tobacco specialists was the leading distribution channel in the cigarettes category in 2021.
Malaysia Cigarettes Market Analysis, by Distribution Channels
For more distribution channel insights into the Malaysia cigarettes market, download a free report sample
Malaysia Cigarettes Market - Competitive Landscape
The leading companies in the Malaysia cigarettes market are British American Tobacco Plc, Japan Tobacco Inc, and Philip Morris International Inc. British American Tobacco Plc was the leading company in the cigarettes category in Malaysia in 2021.
Malaysia Cigarettes Market Analysis, by Companies
For more company insights into the Malaysia cigarettes market, download a free report sample
Malaysia Cigarettes Market Overview
|Market Size (2021)||MYR4.89 billion ($1,182.4 million)|
|Key Categories||Filter Cigarettes and Plain Cigarettes|
|Key Distribution Channels||Tobacco Specialists, Convenience Stores, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Cash & Carries and Warehouse Clubs, and Department Stores|
|Leading Companies||British American Tobacco Plc, Japan Tobacco Inc, and Philip Morris International Inc|
The report provides:
- Market Context: The report provides comparative analysis of the value shares of Malaysia in the Asia Pacific and global tobacco sector. Additionally, the per capita expenditure of tobacco in Malaysia is also compared with the Latin America and global levels.
- Market Size and Structure : The report offers an overview of the growth at a sector level and provides analysis of four categories: cigarettes. These categories are analyzed by value, volume, and CAGR for the period 2016–2026. The section also includes value analysis of segments, value and volume analysis of sub-segments segments under each category for the period 2016–2026.
- Production and Trade: Provides analysis on per capita expenditure of tobacco in Malaysia, by category, compared to the Asia Pacific and global markets. Further, analysis on the leading distribution channels at category level in 2021. The consumer sector reports cover the following eight distribution channels: cash & carries and warehouse clubs, convenience stores, department stores, e-retailers, hypermarkets & supermarkets, tobacco specialists, vending machines, and other general retailers.
- Taxation : It covers taxation landscape in the country and effects in the tobacco sector
- Manufacturers and Brands: The report provides analysis on leading companies by category in 2021 and analyzes the market share and growth of private label in each category.
- The Smoking Population: The report covers consumption of tobacco by gender in Malaysia.
- Operating Constraints: The report cover the impact of policies and regulation on tobacco sector in Malaysia.
- Prospects and Forecasts: The report covers forecast analysis of categories in the tobacco sector
- Macroeconomic analysis: The report also provides an outlook on macroeconomic indicators in Malaysia, with a detailed summary of the economy, labor market, and demographics.
- Exchange rates: Exchange rates used to convert local currency to US dollars are annual average floating exchange rates.
- Time period: The report provides sector value and volume data, including category and sector level data for the period 2016–2026. Distribution channel data is of 2021, and company data is included for 2021.
- Per capita expenditure of tobacco was lower in Malaysia compared to both the global and regional levels, in 2021
- Tobacco specialists was the leading distribution channel in the cigarettes category
- British American Tobacco Plc was the leading company in the cigarettes category
- Dunhill, owned by British American Tobacco Plc is the leading brand in the cigarettes category, in 2021
Reasons to Buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes – prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Part 1: Introduction
Part 2: Market Context
Value Growth Analysis By Region
PCE Of Malaysia Compared to Global And Asia-pacific Markets
Part 3: Market Size and Structure
Malaysia Cigarettes Sector Snapshot
Market Size Analysis
Market Size Analysis –Category: Cigarettes
Segment Analysis : Cigarettes
Sub-segment Analysis: Cigarettes
Per Capita Expenditure Analysis By Category
Part 4: Taxation and Retail
Channel Share Analysis –Cigarettes
Taxation –Cigarettes Sector
Part 5: Manufacturers and Brands
Leading Companies By Volume Share –Cigarettes
Part 6: The Smoking Population
Smoking Population, By Gender
Part 7: Operating Constraints
Part 8: Prospects and Forecasts
Cigarettes Product Growth Analysis-Cigarettes
Part 9: Macroeconomic Analysis
GDP Growth and Inflation
Labor Market Trend
Economic Summary, Labor Market Trends, and Demographic Trends
Malaysia Risk Index (GCRI) 2021
Malaysia Risk Analysis –Compared to Global and Asia-pacific Markets
Frequently asked questions
What was the Malaysia cigarettes market size in 2021?
The cigarettes market size in Malaysia was MYR4.89 billion ($1,182.4 million) in 2021.
What is the Malaysia cigarettes market growth rate?
The cigarettes market in Malaysia is expected to decrease at a CAGR of more than 1% during 2021-2026.
What are the key categories of the Malaysia cigarettes market?
The key categories in the Malaysia cigarettes market are filter cigarettes and plain cigarettes.
What are the key distribution channels of the Malaysia cigarettes market?
The key distribution channels in the Malaysia cigarettes market are tobacco specialists, convenience stores, hypermarkets & supermarkets, cash & carries and warehouse clubs, and department stores.
Which are the leading companies in the Malaysia cigarettes market?
The leading companies in the Malaysia cigarettes market are British American Tobacco Plc, Japan Tobacco Inc, and Philip Morris International Inc.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.