Overtourism essentially covers the overconsumption of resources. From Amsterdam to Venice, from New Zealand to Bali, and the national parks in the US, destinations worldwide were experiencing overtourism. However, fears of the spread of infection, social distancing, and quarantine requirements during the COVID-19 pandemic has minimized the threat of overtourism in the short term. COVID-19 has given destinations the time to re-think, re-build and re-invest in their tourism policies working towards a more sustainable future. Destinations are focusing on becoming more responsible post-COVID-19 through better management, smart technologies, and analysis.
GlobalData’s overtourism thematic research report provides an overview of the overtourism theme and analyzes the key trends contributing to the market growth.
Read the PDF sample for market dynamics
Overtourism – Market Trends
The main trends shaping overtourism are shown below. We classify these trends into two categories: trends contributing to overtourism and strategic trends to tackle the dominance of this theme.
- Trends Contributing to Overtourism: Accessibility, low-cost evolution, growth of the sharing economy, social media and ‘instagrammability’, experience economy and the ‘bucket list’ mentality, group travel, cruise industry, festivals and events, and films & media.
- Strategic Trends in Tackling Overtourism: Adjusting the destination image, banning tourism, crowd management, informing tourists, the sustainable management of resources, tourist tax, second city tourism, smart technologies, and specialized tour operators.
Request for sample report for influencing the main trends in detail
Overtourism Market – Industry Analysis
The tourism industry was growing rapidly prior to the pandemic. It is estimated that the international departures reached 1.2 billion worldwide in 2019. As the number of international tourists have grown, total outbound tourist expenditure naturally grew alongside reaching US$2.1 trillion in 2019, near doubling since 2009.
However, mismanagement of tourism within a destination can led to over-consumption, cause increased pollution, natural habitat loss, and jeopardize authenticity –an array of social, environmental, and economic impacts. In the past, destinations have prided themselves on the quantity of travelers they can attract but a consistent increase in travelers to a destination is not sustainable. Many destinations have fallen into the trap of simply attracting more and more visitors over the years without properly managing tourism flows, maintaining collaboration with stakeholders and local communities leading to host hostility, site degradation, and ultimately overtourism.
The overtourism market covers the other aspects such as –
- Case Studies
- Impacts of Overtourism
Download Sample PDF for more insights on each industry insights
Overtourism Market – Leading Companies
Companies Contributing to Overtourism: Airbnb, Booking Holdings, Carnival, EasyJet, Norwegian Cruise Line, On the Beach, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ryanair, and TUI.
Companies Combatting Overtoursim: Comcast, G Adventures, GetYourGuide, Hilton, Intrepid Travel, Responsible Travel, and Walt Disney
For more company-specific information, download a sample PDF
Overtourism Thematic Research Overview
|Trends Contributing to Overtourism||Accessibility, low-cost evolution, growth of the sharing economy, social media and ‘instagrammability’, experience economy and the ‘bucket list’ mentality, group travel, cruise industry, festivals and events, and films and media.|
|Strategic Trends in Tackling Overtourism||Adjusting the destination image, banning tourism, crowd management, informing tourists, the sustainable management of resources, tourist tax, second city tourism, smart technologies, and specialized tour operators.|
|Companies Contributing to Overtourism||Airbnb, Booking Holdings, Carnival, EasyJet, Norwegian Cruise Line, On the Beach, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ryanair, and TUI|
|Companies Combatting Overtoursim||Comcast, G Adventures, GetYourGuide, Hilton, Intrepid Travel, Responsible Travel, and Walt Disney|
- This thematic report provides an overview of how overtourism has become a ‘mega theme’ affecting the travel sector today.
- The key trends in this report are split between trends that have contributed and strategic trends that are being implemented to battle an uncontrollable number of visitors.
- Several case studies are included to analyze the multiple ways that DMOs have tackled overtourism in the past and the actions they are taking toward a more responsible tourism model post COVID-19.
- Our unique thematic analysis then dives deep into how overtourism has developed, the effects it can have on a destination, and why it is still a major theme impacting the future travel sector post COVID-19.
Reasons to Buy
- Understand how overtourism has developed and how this has affected destinations and tourists in the past.
- Assess how DMOs are reshaping and re-building their tourism models post-COVID-19 to attract more responsible, higher-yielding tourists.
- Understand the economic, social, and environmental impacts too many tourists in one given destination can cause and how these can be better managed.
- Discover recommendations that will help you mitigate the risks of Overtourism and help you work towards a more responsible and sustainable future in travel.
- GlobalData’s thematic research ecosystem is a single, integrated global research platform that provides an easy-to-use framework for tracking all themes across all companies in all sectors. It has a proven track record of identifying important themes early, enabling companies to make the right investments ahead of the competition, and securing that all-important competitive advantage.
- All across the travel and tourism supply chain including DMOs and individuals (tourists themselves) have been responsible for overtourism in the past. Therefore, all should buy this report to fully understand how they can help combat the risks of overtourism returning post-COVID-19.
Norwegian Cruise Line
On the Beach
Table of Contents
| Our thematic research methodology
| About GlobalData
| Contact Us
Frequently Asked Questions
Accessibility, low-cost evolution, growth of the sharing economy, social media and ‘instagrammability’, experience economy and the ‘bucket list’ mentality, group travel, cruise industry, festivals and events, and films & media are the main trends contributing to overtourism.
Adjusting the destination image, banning tourism, crowd management, informing tourists, the sustainable management of resources, tourist tax, second city tourism, smart technologies, and specialized tour operators are some of the strategic trends in tracking overtourism.
Airbnb, Booking Holdings, Carnival, EasyJet, Norwegian Cruise Line, On the Beach, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ryanair, and TUI are some of the companies contributing to overtourism.
Some of the leading companies combatting overtourism are Comcast, G Adventures, GetYourGuide, Hilton, Intrepid Travel, Responsible Travel, and Walt Disney among others.
Tel +44 (0) 20 7947 2960
Every customer’s requirement is unique. We understand that and can customize the report basis your exact research requirements pertaining to market insights, innovation insights, strategy and planning, and competitive intelligence. You can also avail the option of purchasing stand-alone sections of the report or request for a country specific report.
Personal and transaction information are kept safe from unauthorised use.
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.