Clinical Trials – Precision and Personalized Medicine
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
This report provides analysis of clinical research involving precision and personalized medicines and identifies trends throughout the years.
The terms precision and personalized medicine are often used interchangeably as they refer to similar types of treatment. They both define the stratification of patients within a disease segment using their genomic and phenotypic variations to find targeted therapies. This is an alternative to the traditional process of drug design, which typically follows a one-size-fits all approach. Precision and personalized medicine is an emerging field that contrasts with the historic concept that patients who present similar symptoms may respond differently to the same medical intervention. Technological advancements over the last two decades have revolutionized the treatment landscape for various therapy areas, particularly oncology indications. This success has encouraged substantial investment in this space as sponsors expand beyond oncology with the intention of replicating this success in other diseases with heterogenous patient populations. This report aims to provide analyses of clinical research involving precision and personalized medicines and identify trends throughout the years.
The clinical trial data used for these analyses were extracted from GlobalData’s Clinical Trials Database. The report focuses on precision and personalized medicine trials captured in the database as of June 20, 2023. The data has been analyzed by year, phase, status, therapy area, indication, geography, sponsor type (industry versus non-industry sponsor), reasons for discontinuation, and use of virtual components. An additional analysis on marketed drugs has also been included.
1. Oncology has dominated the research landscape. Companies have witnessed this success and begun utilizing the approach more frequently in other areas such as immunology and CNS, both of which have highly heterogenous patient populations, making them ideal candidates for a precision and personalized approach.
2. Several countries within APAC have dedicated precision and personalized medicine initiatives that have substantially contributed to the region’s dominance. China’s PMI was introduced in 2016 and is responsible for launching APAC ahead of North America.
3. In 2020, infectious diseases hit a record high in precision and personalized medicine trials with 86% concerning COVID-19. Oncology precision and personalized medicine trials hit a record low at that time, indicating that funding was being allocated to COVID-19. Phase I trial initiations also saw an increase as they are cheaper and require the smallest patient cohort, which was desirable during the pandemic.
Reasons to Buy
Identifies and dissects trends across clinical trial phases and statuses, as well as regions, countries, sponsors, therapy areas, and indications.
Explores record highs and lows across years, regions, and therapy areas, and offers reasons for this.
Highlights leading therapy areas, indications, geographies, sponsors, and marketed cell and gene therapies.
Spotlights main reasons for trial terminations and emphasises main trial phases terminated.
Discusses the prevalence of decentralised clinical trials and virtual components.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Masonic Cancer Center
University of Minnesota
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Baylor College of Medicine
City of HopeMesoblast
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Sarah Cannon Research Institute
Reliance Life Sciences
FGK Clinical Research
Table of Contents
1 Table and Figures
2 Executive Summary
– Report Scope
4 The Clinical Trial Landscape of Precision and Personalized Medicine
– 2020 Served as The Leading Year in Precision and Personalized Medicine Trials
– The Record Trial Count In 2020 Was Due to The Increase in Infectious Disease Trials In Response to COVID-19
– Phase II Trials Dominate Precision and Personalized Medicine Clinical Research
– Phase I Trials Are Most Successful at Achieving Their Endpoint Status
– Non-Industry Sponsors and Industry Sponsors Lead in Different Phases for Achieving Trial Endpoints
– Non-Industry Sponsored Trials Lead in Precision and Personalized Medicine
– National Cancer Institute US is the Leading Non-Industry Sponsor
– Mesoblast Is the Leading Industry Sponsor
– Masonic Cancer Center Has the Most Terminated/Suspended/Withdrawn Trials of Any Sponsor
– Emmes Is the Top CRO Supporting Precision and Personalized Medicine Clinical Trials
– Asia-Pacific Leads in Precision and Personalized Medicine Trials From 2016 Onwards
– Single-Country Clinical Trials Dominate in Every Region with North America Leading the Way
– The US Leads Year-On-Year in Precision and Personalized Medicine Clinical Trials
– Low Accrual Is the Leading Cause of Trial Termination and Phase II Trials Are Most Frequently Terminated
– Mobile HealthCare is The Leading Virtual Component in Precision and Personalised Medicine Trials
– Oncology Is the Leading Therapy Area in Precision and Personalised Medicine Trials Across All Phases
– Proportion of Precision and Personalised Medicine Trials for Oncology Has More Than Halved Since 2003
– AML is The Most Researched Indication in Precision and Personalized Medicine Clinical Trials
5 Analysis of Cell and Gene Therapies in Precision and Personalized Medicine Clinical Trials
– Top 10 Companies Involved in Upcoming Catalytic Trial Events Using Gene Therapies In Precision and Personalized Medicine
– Top 10 Companies Involved in Upcoming Catalytic Trial Events Using Cell Therapy in Precision and Personalized Medicine
– Leading Marketed Drugs by Clinical Trial Count
– Marketed Gene Therapies Have More Clinical Trials Than Marketed Cell Therapies
– Gene Therapies Have a Higher Phase Transition Rate Than Cell Therapies
– Gene Therapies Have a Higher Likelihood of Approval Score Than Cell Therapies
6 Key Findings
– About GlobalData
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.