Switzerland Defense Market Size, Trends, Budget Allocation, Regulations, Acquisitions, Competitive Landscape and Forecast to 2028
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Switzerland Defense Market Report Overview
Switzerland’s defense budget is estimated at $8.9 billion in 2023 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 5% from 2024 to 2028. This is due to several recent modernization efforts within the Swiss military, such as the Air2030 program and the expansion of its cyber defense units. Indeed, the purchase and integration of new capabilities will drive up expenditure on acquisitions, operations and maintenance, and other ancillary costs over the forecast period as the Swiss military modifies infrastructure and trains additional personnel to facilitate the deployment of those capabilities.
Switzerland Defense Market Outlook, 2023-2028 ($ Billion)
Buy the Full Report to Gain More Information about the Switzerland Defense Market Forecast
The Switzerland defense market research report provides the market size forecast and the projected growth rate for the next five years. It also covers industry analysis including the key market drivers, emerging technology trends, segments, and major challenges faced by market participants. It offers insights regarding military strategies as well as key factors and government programs that are expected to influence the demand for military platforms over the forecast period.
|Market Size (2023)||$8.9 billion|
|Key Sectors||· Military Fixed-Wing Aircraft
· Missiles and Missile Defense Systems
· Tactical Communications Systems
· Artillery Systems
· EO/IR Systems
· Military Land Vehicles
|Leading Companies||· ABB Ltd
· TE Connectivity Ltd
· STMicroelectronics NV
· Garmin Ltd
· Lockheed Martin Corp
· Maxon Motor AG
|Enquire & Decide||Discover the perfect solution for your business needs. Enquire now and let us help you make an informed decision before making a purchase.|
Switzerland Defense Market Drivers
The rising popularity of domestic modernization programs is one of the key factors driving the defense market in Switzerland. The Air2030 program has become the largest defense acquisitions program in Swiss history, whilst other programs have sought to acquire new armored vehicles, modernize artillery systems, and reduce the armed forces’ environmental impact through greater reliance on renewable energy sources.
Furthermore, the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the subsequent deterioration of wider European security has driven Swiss military and government officials to seek increased defense expenditure and military rapprochement with international allies, as the decision to impose economic sanctions on Russian assets has resulted in a heightened sense of unease throughout the country.
Switzerland Military Doctrines and Defense Strategies
In accordance with the 2017 Military Doctrine, Switzerland considers remote direct military threats, including additional potential threats, such as espionage, cyber-attacks, external influence operations, and sabotage, as well as the actions of non-state groups. A substantial part of Swiss military doctrine is the active participation of Swiss troops in humanitarian and international peacekeeping missions. Swiss nationals are currently involved in peacekeeping missions globally.
Though Switzerland is not a full-fledged member of the NATO alliance, it has been a signatory to the international PfP agreement since 1996, alongside NATO members and other partner states, as the primary objective of that agreement was the enhancement of trust and transparency on security and defense policy matters, as well as promoting dialogue amongst Euro-Atlantic states to ensure peace in the region. Since its accession to the United Nations in 2002, Switzerland’s policy of military neutrality and the promotion of international peace has allowed it to play the key role of mediator in many international disputes. Furthermore, Switzerland hosts the United Nations Office of Geneva (UNOG), one of the four major UN offices worldwide, which hosts various UN agencies, such as the World Health Organization, World Trade Organization, and the Human Rights Council.
Switzerland Defense Market Segmentation by Sectors
The key sectors in the Switzerland defense market are military fixed-wing, tactical communications systems, missiles and missile defense systems, artillery systems, EO/IR Systems, and military land vehicles among others. Military fixed-wing aircraft is the largest sector within the Switzerland defense market in 2023. This sector is comprised entirely of the combat aircraft segment, as the Swiss Armed Forces are only procuring Lockheed Martin’s F-35A fighter variant under the Air2030 program, which was designed to ensure air supremacy and will replace their aging F/A-18 combat aircraft. The sector is likely to grow slightly and reach a peak by 2033.
Switzerland Defense Market Analysis by Sectors, 2023 (%)
Buy the Full Report for more Sector Insights into the Switzerland Defense Market
Switzerland Defense Market - Competitive Landscape
Some of the leading defense companies operating in Switzerland are ABB Ltd, TE Connectivity Ltd, STMicroelectronics NV, Garmin Ltd, Astrocast SA, Lockheed Martin Corp, and Maxon Motor AG among others. Lockheed Martin Corp provides advanced technology systems and products for defense, civil and commercial applications. Lockheed Martin provides support and upgrade services for military aircraft, cybersecurity, ground vehicles, missile defense systems, satellites, and space transportation systems.
Switzerland Defense Market Analysis by Companies
Buy the Full Report for more Company Insights into the Switzerland Defense Market
Segments Covered in the Report
Switzerland Defense Market Sectors Outlook (Value, $ Billion, 2019-2028)
- Tactical Communications Systems
- Military Fixed-Wing Aircraft
- Missiles and Missile Defense Systems
- Artillery Systems
- EO/IR Systems
- Military Land Vehicles
The report provides:
- Detailed analysis of Switzerland’s defense market with market size forecasts covering the next five years. The report will also analyze factors that influence demand for the industry, key market trends, and challenges faced by industry participants.
- Switzerland defense budget: detailed analysis of the Switzerland 2023 defense budget broken down into market size and market share. This is coupled with an examination of key current and future acquisitions.
- Regulation: the procurement policy and process is explained. This is coupled with an analysis of Switzerland’s military doctrine and strategy to provide a comprehensive overview of the military procurement regulation in Switzerland.
- Security Environment: political alliances and perceived security threats to Switzerland are examined to explain trends in spending and modernization.
- Competitive landscape and strategic insights: analysis of the competitive landscape of Switzerland’s defense industry.
• Drivers of Defense expenditure include Domestic modernization programs, Russian invasion of Ukraine
• Major ongoing procurement program include procurement of Air2030, Mörser-16 artillery
Reasons to Buy
- Determine prospective investment areas based on a detailed trend analysis of the French defense market over the next five years.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the underlying factors driving demand for different defense and internal security segments in the French market and identify the opportunities offered.
- Strengthen your understanding of the market in terms of demand drivers, market trends, and the latest technological developments, among others.
- Identify the major threats that are driving the Switzerland defense market providing a clear picture of future opportunities that can be tapped, resulting in revenue expansion.
- Channel resources by focusing on the ongoing programs that are being undertaken by the Switzerland government.
- Make correct business decisions based on an in-depth analysis of the competitive landscape consisting of detailed profiles of the top defense equipment providers in the country. The company profiles also include information about the key products, alliances, recent contracts awarded, and financial analysis, wherever available.
Table of Contents
- 1. Executive Summary
- 2. Defense Budget Assessment
- 2.1. Budgeting Process
- 2.2. Defense Market Size Historic And Forecast
- 2.3. Drivers Of Defense Expenditure
- 2.4. Analysis of Defense Expenditure Allocation
- 2.5. Analysis Of Defense Budget Allocation
- 3. Military Doctrine and Security Environment
- 3.1. Military Doctrine and Strategy
- 3.2. Strategic Alliances and Geopolitics
- 3.3. Political, Social, and Economic Scenario
- 4. Market Entry Strategy and Regulations
- 4.1. Defense Procurement Bodies
- 4.2. Funding Opportunities
- 4.3. Trade Associations and Defense Clusters
- 4.4. Types of Contracts and Opportunities
- 4.5. Procurement Policy and Market Regulations
- 4.6. Market Entry Routes
- 4.7. Key Challenges
- 4.8. Major Deals and M&A
- 5. Market Attractiveness and Emerging Opportunities
- 5.1. Market Attractiveness By Defense Sector
- 5.2. Top Sectors in the Italian Defense Market
- 5.3. Top Defense Segments By Value
- 6. Defense Platform Acquisitions
- 6.1. Defense Platform Acquisitions By Value
- 6.2. F-35A
- 6.3. Patriot Air Defense Systems
- 6.4. Swiss Howitzer Program
- 7. Fleet Size
- 8. Competitive Landscape
- 8.1. Defense Companies Operating in Indonesia
- 8.2. Main Defense Companies
- 9. Appendix
- 9.1. About This Report
- 9.2. About Us
- 9.3. Contact Us
Frequently asked questions
What is the Switzerland defense market size in 2023?
The defense market size in Switzerland is $8.9 billion in 2023.
What is the Switzerland defense market growth rate?
The defense market in Switzerland is expected to achieve a CAGR of more than 5% during 2024-2028.
Which is the leading sector in the Switzerland defense market in 2023?
Military fixed-wing aircraft is forecast to be the largest sector in Switzerland’s defense market.
Who are the key companies operating in the Switzerland defense market?
Some of the leading defense companies operating in Switzerland are ABB Ltd, TE Connectivity Ltd, STMicroelectronics NV, Garmin Ltd, Astrocast SA, Lockheed Martin Corp, and Maxon Motor AG among others.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.