United Kingdom (UK) Defense Market Size, Trends, Budget Allocation, Regulations, Acquisitions, Competitive Landscape and Forecast to 2028
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
UK Defense Market Report Overview
The United Kingdom (UK) defense budget is worth $62.8 billion in 2023. The country’s defense budget is anticipated to rise in steady and gradual annual increments, registering a CAGR of more than 4% during 2024-2028. Despite the challenges of COVID recovery, energy insecurity, and sustained inflation, British foreign policy retains ambitions and international commitments that make this sustained increase a likelihood as the British military redoubles deployments in Europe and elsewhere. Despite Brexit, the UK remains deeply tied to European and Trans-Atlantic security architecture and has increased its defense footprint in the Asia-Pacific through the AUKUS pact.
UK Defense Market Outlook, 2023-2028 ($ Billion)
Buy the Full Report to Gain More Information about the UK Defense Market Forecast
The UK defense market research report provides the market size forecast and the projected growth rate for the next five years. The report covers industry analysis including the key market drivers, emerging technology trends, key sectors, and major challenges faced by market participants. It also offers insights regarding key factors and government programs that are expected to influence the demand for military platforms over the forecast period.
|Market Size (2023)
· International partnerships
|· Modernization Of Conventional Capabilities and High-Intensity Warfare Focus
· Uavs And Future Combat Air
· Military Land Vehicles
· Tactical Communications Systems
· Military Radar
· Military Simulation and Training
|· BAE Systems
· General Dynamics European Land Systems Group
· Lockheed Martin Corp
· Harland & Wolff
|Enquire & Decide
|Discover the perfect solution for your business needs. Enquire now and let us help you make an informed decision before making a purchase.
UK Defense Market Dynamics
Rearmament and international partnerships are the key factors driving the UK’s defense market. For instance, in 2020, the UK government initiated a defense review period that promised the most substantial changes to the UK armed forces since the end of the Cold War. This process has been altered and matured since Russia’s 2022 full-scale invasion of Ukraine, which has further driven new British priorities in force readiness, platform acquisition, and technological research.
Since the Russian invasion of Ukraine, there has been a renewed focus on the modernization of conventional capabilities and high-intensity warfare. Additionally, the UK has invested heavily over the last two years in several experimental UAV types across the Army, Navy, and Air Force to explore their future applications. Being less expensive than manned aircraft, drones can be produced at scale for a smaller cost to provide a significant force multiplier, especially as advances in technology allow for better integration and cooperation with manned platforms. Some examples include Project Vampire, an ISR drone jet for the Royal Navy, Project Vixen, a manned-unmanned teaming program to accompany the Navy’s F-35 jets, Project Proteus, which explores an unmanned antisubmarine helicopter, and the ‘Peregrine’ unmanned reconnaissance rotorcraft.
Buy the Full Report to Gain More Information about the UK Defense Market Drivers and Trends
UK Military Doctrines and Defense Strategies
The armed forces’ primary aim is to safeguard all UK citizens and protect economic security, territorial integrity, critical infrastructure, and the British way of life. The national interests that the UK aims to protect are security, prosperity, and freedom. The UK Defense Doctrine Strategy states that “we must shape the global environment”. The UK stringently follows the NATO doctrine and is a key member of the organization.
The UK is creating a comprehensive military space strategy. The vision of which is to ensure ‘‘freedom of action’’ in space, by making sure that the UK has the capabilities to protect and defend its interests in space. There is discussion over whether the UK needs its version of the GNSS Galileo, which was created by the EU. Support for this endeavor exists at the highest level, with Boris Johnson stating that the UK should develop its own. A significant amount will be invested by the UK government to create its constellation of satellites. In November 2020, it was announced that the UK would create a Space Command, which would aim to launch the first rocket from Scotland in 2022.
UK Defense Market Segmentation by Sectors
The key sectors in the UK defense market are submarines, military land vehicles, tactical communications systems, military radar, and military simulation and training, among others. In 2023, the most attractive sector in the UK’s defense market is submarines. It is followed by the military fixed wing.
Three programs constitute the submarine sector. One of the programs is the Dreadnought program to replace the Royal Navy’s current Vanguard-class submarines is the largest, given priority as it provides the UK’s continuous at-sea deterrent.
UK Defense Market Analysis by Sectors, 2023 (%)
Buy the Full Report for more Sector Insights into the UK Defense Market
UK Defense Market - Competitive Landscape
Some of the leading defense companies operating in the UK are BAE Systems, General Dynamics European Land Systems Group, Lockheed Martin Corp, and Harland & Wolff among others. BAE Systems is the primary supplier for the Dreadnought program, responsible for the design and construction of the submarines. However, a program of this scale requires collaboration and contributions from other suppliers.
UK Defense Market Analysis by Companies
Buy the Full Report for more Company Insights into the UK Defense Market
Segments Covered in the Report
UK Defense Market Sectors Outlook (Value, $ Billion, 2019-2028)
- Military Land Vehicles
- Tactical Communications Systems
- Military Radar
- Military Simulation and Training
The report provides:
- Detailed analysis of the UK 2022 defense budget broken down into market size and market share. This is coupled with an examination of key current and future acquisitions.
- Explanation of the procurement policy and process. This is coupled with an analysis of the UK’s military doctrine and strategy to provide a comprehensive overview of the UK’s military regulation.
- Examination of political alliances and perceived security threats to the UK and explains trends in spending and modernization.
- Analysis of prevalent trends in the country’s imports and exports over the last five years.
- Analysis of the competitive landscape of the UK’s defense industry.
• Drivers of Defense expenditure include the war in Ukraine, significant tensions with Russia, commitments to the NATO alliance and ongoing contributions to international peacekeeping and stability operations via the UN and EU.
• Major ongoing procurement programs include the acquisition of F-35B fighters, new ballistic missile submarines, an array of combat and support naval surface vessels, and the Global Combat Air Programme.
Reasons to Buy
- Determine prospective investment areas based on a detailed trend analysis of the UK defense market over the next five years.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the underlying factors driving demand for different defense and internal security segments in the UK market and identify the opportunities offered.
- Strengthen your understanding of the market in terms of demand drivers, market trends, and the latest technological developments, among others.
- Identify the major threats that are driving the UK defense market providing a clear picture of future opportunities that can be tapped, resulting in revenue expansion.
- Channel resources by focusing on the ongoing programs that are being undertaken by the UK government.
- Make correct business decisions based on an in-depth analysis of the competitive landscape consisting of detailed profiles of the top defense equipment providers in the country. The company profiles also include information about the key products, alliances, recent contracts awarded, and financial analysis, wherever available.
General Dynamics Land Systems
Table of Contents
- 1. Executive Summary
- 2. Defense Budget Assessment
- 2.1. Budgeting Process
- 2.2. Defense Market Size Historic And Forecast
- 2.3. Drivers Of Defense Expenditure
- 2.4. Analysis of Defense Expenditure Allocation
- 2.5. Analysis Of Defense Budget Allocation
- 2.6. Key Market Trends and Insights
- 3. Military Doctrine and Security Environment
- 3.1. Military Doctrine And Strategy
- 3.2. Strategic Alliances and Geopolitics
- 3.3. Political, Social and Economic Scenario
- 4. Market Entry Strategy and Regulations
- 4.1. Defense Procurement Bodies
- 4.2. Funding Opportunities
- 4.3. Trade Associations and Defense Clusters
- 4.4. Types of Contracts and Opportunities
- 4.5. Procurement Policy and Market Regulations
- 4.6. Market Entry Routes
- 4.7. Key Challenges
- 4.8. Major Deals and M&A
- 5. Market Attractiveness and Emerging Opportunities
- 5.1. Market Attractiveness By Defense Sector
- 5.2. Top Sectors in the Italian Defense Market
- 5.3. Top Defense Segments By Value
- 6. Defense Platform Acquisitions
- 6.1. Defense Platform Acquisitions By Value
- 6.2. Dreadnought-Class
- 6.3. Global Combat Air Programme
- 6.4. F-35B
- 6.5. Type 26 Global Combat Ship Programme
- 6.6. Type 83 Destroyer
- 6.7. Multi-Role Support Ships
- 6.8. SSN – AUKUS
- 6.9. Ajax
- 6.10. Fleet Solid Support
- 6.11. Uncrewed Helicopter
- 6.12. A400M Atlas
- 6.13. CH-47ER Chinook
- 7. Fleet Size
- 8. Competitive Landscape
- 8.1. Defense Companies
- 8.2. Main Defense Companies
- 9. Appendix
- 9.1. About This Report
- 9.2. About Us
- 9.3. Contact Us
Frequently asked questions
What is the UK defense market size in 2023?
The defense market size in the UK is $62.8 billion in 2023.
What is the UK defense market growth rate?
The defense market in the UK is expected to achieve a CAGR of more than 4% during 2024-2028.
Which is the leading sector in the UK defense market in 2023?
Submarines will be the leading sector in the UK defense market in 2023.
Who are the key companies operating in the UK defense market?
Some of the leading defense companies operating in the UK are BAE Systems, General Dynamics European Land Systems Group, Lockheed Martin Corp, and Harland & Wolff.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.